Cheap Bundaberg Molasses

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dathhu
Bootlegger

Cheap Bundaberg Molasses

Post by Dathhu »

Hi All,

For anyone after cheap food grade molasses in Australia, hit up Bidfood (formally Bidvest).

Just picked up a 14kg cube for just shy of $25, much better than the $50 the home brew shop wanted to charge.

Don't know if all of them will stock it, but to my mind for an unsulphered, food grade product, 55% sugar, it seems like a bloody good deal to me 🙂

Dan
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Cheap Bundaberg Molasses

Post by Saltbush Bill »

14 kg would be 10 litres I think? Equates to $2.50 per Litre.
silverbean
Novice
Location: Downunder If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Post by silverbean »

I recently saw in a pet store/saddlery a 20L cube of blackstrap for I think it was $25. Not necessarily food grade, I assume for horses. I have no idea if that is what we would need or if its a good price.
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

I'm buying from this suplier: https://mellacodecana.com.br/melaco-de-cana-liquido/
dolar is quite high comparing to brazilian currency (5R$ = 1US$) so I'm paying 0.24 US$ per litre plus container plus shipping.
Last time I bought 120kg, total was less than 55US$
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I'm not sure about feed stores your areas, but I've always used black strap molasses from the feed store. It's just an additive for horse/cattle feed. Works great and it's a LOT cheaper than grocery store stuff.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

SassyFrass wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:35 am » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:35 am

I'm not sure about feed stores your areas, but I've always used black strap molasses from the feed store. It's just an additive for horse/cattle feed. Works great and it's a LOT cheaper than grocery store stuff.
Same way most of us here in Au buy it. Averages about $1.50 per L in smaller quantities.
50C- $1.00 L in bulk.....200 L or more.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
SassyFrass wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:35 am » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:35 am

Same way most of us here in Au buy it. Averages about $1.50 per L in smaller quantities.
50C- $1.00 L in bulk.....200 L or more.
I know prices are gonna be different, but I figure every country has farmers and/ ranchers with stock to feed. So I figured everyone would be able to find a feed store for cheap molasses.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I’ve got two of those Bundy Molasses Cubes been in shed for nearly a year . Been meaning to see how they are compared to the normal Blackstrap I use .

I know Googe swore by that stuff when he was in Melbourne .

Regarding Bidvest , I rung them once after something , maybe bulk sugar and they didn’t want to know me if I didn’t have a business account .
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Yummyrum said, 'I’ve got two of those Bundy Molasses Cubes'.

Hi, Yummy.

What size cubes?
Twenty litres?

One thousand litres??

Geoff
The Baker
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

The Baker wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:18 pm Yummyrum said, 'I’ve got two of those Bundy Molasses Cubes'.

Hi, Yummy.

What size cubes?
Twenty litres?

One thousand litres??

Geoff
Just found them Geoff , they are 14kg each , so 10litre Cubes . Same as OP . Seems I paid $35 each for them from HBS so OPs price is much better .
AECFB9CD-9E41-46C7-8E35-EAC8B14B53DC.jpeg
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Geoff Ifn you want to come up for a drive, a 200l is under $120 to get filled up the road from me, they charge by the kg so it depends on how recenly the massive tank been filled, its pretty tall so I recon some seperation goes on, hopefully I can get back there soon before it gets filled again and get the good stuff from the top.

Sadly the local mill wil be closing at the end of the season and I will most likey loose the great price. Some dude decided to buy a bunch of the larger farms feeding it to grow macadamia nuts and has subsequently made the mill not viable and will be screwing a bunch of the smaller cane farmers around :thumbdown:

2000+ km's each way in fuel might be a deal breaker for you though :shock:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

When my son used to make his own diesel
(his newer car is fussier so he doesn't do it now: saved a heap then though)
Anyway he had a mate did trucking from the sugar mill to our town...
He used to get a 44 gallon (US 55 gallon) drum of Methanol from the mill from time to time.
So it could well be possible but I wouldn't need any yet...

I've got rellies travel from NQ to here but wouldn't have space.

Geoff
The Baker
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

The Baker wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:02 am When my son used to make his own diesel
(his newer car is fussier so he doesn't do it now: saved a heap then though)
Anyway he had a mate did trucking from the sugar mill to our town...
He used to get a 44 gallon (US 55 gallon) drum of Methanol from the mill from time to time.
So it could well be possible but I wouldn't need any yet...

I've got rellies travel from NQ to here but wouldn't have space.

Geoff
P. S. Now I think of it there is a bulk distributor in country Victoria, probably passes through here, will have to check. G.
The Baker
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Post by Dathhu »

SassyFrass wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:35 am I'm not sure about feed stores your areas, but I've always used black strap molasses from the feed store. It's just an additive for horse/cattle feed. Works great and it's a LOT cheaper than grocery store stuff.
SF
Feed store molasses would be cheaper, but I thought for the first couple runs I'd like to use the food grade stuff. I'd at least have something to compare it with then as I don't know what I'd be getting with feed grade around here.

Still, if a can get a few litres of rum from this drum with a bit of added raw sugar its gonna be way cheaper (and hopefully nicer) than the store bought stuff :D

Dan
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Post by Dathhu »

Where I am Bidfood happily sells to the public as far as I know, they've got a storefront where anyone can come in and ask for stuff.

Might help that I've dealt with them through hospo work though :D
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Dathhu wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:59 am Still, if a can get a few litres of rum from this drum with a bit of added raw sugar its gonna be way cheaper (and hopefully nicer) than the store bought stuff :D

Dan
Dan , if you are looking for a reference then just use the molasses without sugar . Folk add sugar when they feel their blackstrap is too low in sugar . That stuff should be perfect as is .
Have a look at Saltbush bills All Molasses wash in T&T recipe section and scale it down ...... or buy another cube or two and scale it up
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Post by Dathhu »

Cheers Yummyrum, after some consideration I'm probably going to just go with all of it plus a touch of sugar. As I've only got the one fermenter available, I'll probably go with the molasses with 1kg of raw sugar topped up to 50L. Just want to up the sugar slightly because I don't know how much of the molasses is actually fermentable.

I'll see how the first run comes out, order some more molasses, save up some dunder and work from there. Will also look into the stock molasses available around these parts.

Cheers,
Dan
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Dathhu wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:57 am Just want to up the sugar slightly because I don't know how much of the molasses is actually fermentable.
Entirely up to you but that is exactly why I wouldn’t .

Having said that , you will find that Aussie molasses is around 40% -50%. That Bundy Molasses s supposedly at the high end , so you can expect the equivalent of 7kg of sugar from that 14kg cube .Use that to work out your final volume .

When I use my 14kg cube , I’ll be making it up to 33-34 litres .
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

SassyFrass wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:56 am I know prices are gonna be different, but I figure every country has farmers and/ ranchers with stock to feed. So I figured everyone would be able to find a feed store for cheap molasses.
Unfortunately some of us live in cold european countries where sugar comes from beets and cane molasses is rare and expensive.

It's cheaper for me to buy good rum than to make it.

Are you aussies looking for train drivers?

Or anyone know of a good european (preferably belgian) source? My google fu is weak.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Yummy is right, I did love it. I was only paying $19.00 for 14kg through local food wholesaler in Melbourne. I got the info through a broker from.the bundy site. Here's the list for different states.

Queensland
John Lansdown
SALES LINK PTY LTD
117 Zillman Rd
Hendra QLD 4011
Ph: (07) 3255 0999
Fax: (07) 3255 0199
E-mail john@saleslink.net.au
anita@saleslink.net.au
New South Wales
Peter Dagg & Associates
PO Box 7088
TOOWOON BAY NSW 2261
Phone: 02 4333 8448
Fax: 02 4333 8449
Mobile: 0418 960 798
Email: peterd2261@bigpond.com
Victoria, Tasmania & South Australia
Tony Lansdown
QUALITY SALES LINK
7 Frank Street
Box Hill South VIC 3128
Ph: (03) 9888 7077
Fax: (03) 9888 7297
Email: sales@qualitysaleslink.com.au
Western Australia
Michael Luxmoore
LUXFOODS
PO Box 632
Wembley 6913 WA
Western Australia
Phone: (08) 9380 6499
0467 632 500
sales@luxfoods.com.au
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

Corsaire wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:10 pm Unfortunately some of us live in cold european countries where sugar comes from beets and cane molasses is rare and expensive.

Or anyone know of a good european (preferably belgian) source? My google fu is weak.
I hear you. Cheapest I found a couple of years ago was from a UK veterinary company, but ordering from the UK feels a bit shakey right now. VioVet - Molasses. I've used the regular NAF molasses with good results.

Otherwise the cheapest I've found is this: Amazon.de - Nortembio molasses 14.3kg. They used to be even cheaper and come in 20 liter cubes, but now it seems they only have 10 liter cubes. Free shipping though.
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

There is such a thing as beet molasses, has anyone tried using it?
https://www.feedipedia.org/node/711
Last edited by kimbodious on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

kimbodious wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:59 am There is such a thing as beet molasses, has anyone tried using it?
https://www.feedipedia.org/node/711
Everything I've heard and read indicates that it makes a really bad tasting Rum.
Not even worth thinking about.
I do believe the French use(d?) it to make neutral, but I've heard the same about the rum being horrible.
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

It's used to make cheap vodka in europe. Anything less than azeo is supposed to taste pretty bad, but I've never tried running it through my pot.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Berserk wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:34 am I've used the regular NAF molasses with good results.

Otherwise the cheapest I've found is this: Amazon.de - Nortembio molasses 14.3kg. They used to be even cheaper and come in 20 liter cubes, but now it seems they only have 10 liter cubes. Free shipping though.
Thanks for those leads!
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Post by Dathhu »

googe wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:26 am Yummy is right, I did love it.
Hi googe,

Haven't had the opportunity to ferment mine yet, still got a sugar wash waiting to be run.

Just wondering how you used to ferment yours out? What kind of volume, any additives etc.?

Did it come out heavy like a Jamaican style rum or lighter, like some of the South American styles?

Thanks,
Dan
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Hey Dan, its been years since i used that stuff but it was around 4L mollasses, 80g bakers yeast to make up 25L wash. Usually dont need additives but if need be, some kale or tom paste. I like white rum and a light taste with some body, i always ran through 3 plates at 88-92%. End of heads and very start of tails used to work well with it i found.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Post by Dathhu »

Thanks googe,

Will probably be putting it down in the next few days. Kinda looking at something inbetween full on heavy rum and light white for the first batch, just so I can have something to taste without having to wait for years of aging.

You only used 4L in a 25L batch? I might just try the whole cube to 50L, I'll be pot stilling it so I hope I'll get at least a bottle or so of the centre hearts for an early-ish drink 🙂, plus some to age up.

If it doesn't come out as planned, I'll at least have the option for a reflux run and have a few mojitos.

Cheers!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Dathhu wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:08 am If it doesn't come out as planned, I'll at least have the option for a reflux run and have a few mojit
Hell yeah . :thumbup:
StriaghtJakket
Novice

Post by StriaghtJakket »

Yeah I spoke the the Bundy Rep and gave me the local Bidfood and another suppliers deets. both stock and sell for around the $27 mark COD - may be a bit cheaper with an account - still, cheaper than the HBS.
I normally get mine from the local feed lot, super cheap, about $8 AUD for a 20L drum (5.2Gal) not bad, however always a lot of crap left over after the initial clarification. and the Bloke who runs the shop doesnt know anything about it as far as what type or where it come from.
Keen to give this - higher quality - food grade stuff a go and see if it takes the rum to the next level.