Glass aging rum

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Durhommer
Distiller

Glass aging rum

Post by Durhommer »

Glass aging rum....how long is acceptable for it I'm using ex bourbon/wine wood on it it was made with blackstrap and raw sugars I'm wondering how long to leave it before it is technically called rum. I have to be in the mood for rum so I see it sitting for plenty of years
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
zed255
Distiller

Re: Glass aging rum

Post by zed255 »

In so far as I'm aware rum in many places requires two years ageing to be considered rum. I age my rum in glass using a kind of bastard solera arrangement. My oldest rum is now just over two years old, though I have no stand-alone sample, read below.

I set up three 5l glass swing-top jars, using several layers of cheese cloth under the lid to replace the rubber gaskets and allow the product to breathe.

In the first one is a single piece of toasted oak. This one only receives new make rum.
In the second one is a lightly charred more heavily toasted piece of oak. This one is only ever topped off from the first one.
In the third one is some mixed used oak. A bottle's worth is drawn off as required and the level replenished from the second vessel.

This results in a gradual blending of generations and ages. The results in my case compare very well with Cuban and Dominican Anejo types of rum, though I do an all fancy molasses product, no blackstrap or other sugars.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Was drawing off a bottle of rum and decided to remove sediment from the aging vessels. See the differences? Left is oldest and has been through all three vessels. Right is youngest and only receives new make.
20210311_143655.jpg
Sorry about the orientation. I rotated the image and saved. When I rotate again and re-saved it goes in line sideways. If it shows correct on the phone it shows sideways when posted. Fricken' crap.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I think 6 months minimum works. Used toasted and charred oak.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Some of my wide cuts didn't really start to become something that I would serve to a guest for over two years. My narrow cut white rums have always been good from day one.

The nicest batch of molasses I've ever run is four and a half years old now and I've never proofed a bottle for the drinks cabinet. I'm sampling it now and it's very nice, but I have plenty of products to drink while it gets some more age :D
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Thanks for all the info you guys I'm just gonna leave it where it is its taking a nice golden color so I cant wait to see what it is in a year or more
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....