My rum never tastes like rum

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Distillusioned
Novice

Re: My rum never tastes like rum

Post by Distillusioned »

NZChris wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:40 pm I don't recall ever using somebody else's recipe. There are recipes here that use far more nutrients than I ever use. The worst rum I ever made was when I used a commercial rum yeast I had seen recommended on the forum.
What's your opinion of the SBB recipe in terms of the vitamins and Epsom salts? Seems like a really small amount of "stuff" (e.g. "good pinch"). The little details can sure make a difference, so I'm not doubting. I definitely want to make it with and without for my own comparison. This stuff is sooo subjective, and I don't dare ask anyone locally for taste tests. :(

Edit: and I'm going to try to approach it much more scientifically than I usually do. I do have the capacity to test pH, SG, etc. even if I've more-or-less abandoned it. :)
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Epsom salts is magnesium, yeast need magnesium for healthy cell growth, I made the recipe the way it is for a reason.
Put in 3 pinches if you like , it wont hurt anything.
Distillusioned
Novice

Post by Distillusioned »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:04 pm Epsom salts is magnesium, yeast need magnesium for healthy cell growth, I made the recipe the way it is for a reason.
Put in 3 pinches if you like , it wont hurt anything.
I'm not trying to say bad things about your recipe. I'm really not. I swear. Not trying to step on toes at all. When you say "... magnesium for healthy cell growth..." it's much better than "...put in a pinch because I said so..."

That probably come off as much more abrasive than I intend it to be. New to this forum, so please don't take anything i say as criticism.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I wasn't trying to be snarky, just trying to answer as quickly and as simply as possible.
If I had to explained every aspect in great detail , I probably would have never bothered to write the recipe out.....its reasonably detailed as is I think.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

For what its worth , I have made Rum almost the same as Saltys many times . I don’t use the vitamins and it works just fine for me . I also have on occassion forgot to add the Epsom salts and again it has worked just fine .

My reasoning is that not all the Epsom salts gets used upby the yeast so they build up in the Dunder . So if I miss it every so often its not a big deal , however if I start a new wash without dunder ( This has happened a few times because the Dunder was way too funky fir my liking ) , I always add the Epsom salts .

Incidentally , when I make any sugar wash I always add Epsom salts and vitamins now . Have a look at a packet of Yeast Nutrient and see whats in it . And having justvsaid that , I never bother to add DAP to any recipe even though a lot use it .

Getting back to the original question , I have tasted quite a few home distilled Rums over the years , some were down right horrible and some were really nice , but none of them tasted like any commercial Rum I could relate to
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Distillusioned wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:47 pm What's your opinion of the SBB recipe in terms of the vitamins and Epsom salts?
I've never tried Bill's method, so I can't say.
A search of my rum notes doesn't find Epsom salts, so I guess I've never used them even though I have some. Whether, or not, you need it may depend on your local water. For vitamins, I use boiled yeast if I haven't got any Vegemite, (which is made out of yeast).

I researched how to make rum, made some, then kept notes that constantly get revised and referred to when deciding how to go about making the next rum, or series of rums. I don't actually have a 'recipe' to use because each stage requires decisions to be made to get the end result I'm aiming for at the time.
Distillusioned
Novice

Post by Distillusioned »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:33 pm I wasn't trying to be snarky, just trying to answer as quickly and as simply as possible.
If I had to explained every aspect in great detail , I probably would have never bothered to write the recipe out.....its reasonably detailed as is I think.
No worries. I'm new here, so I didn't want to come off as Mr. Know-it-All (I do know it "all" on certain subjects, though, lol).
Distillusioned
Novice

Post by Distillusioned »

NZChris wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:37 pm
Distillusioned wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:47 pm What's your opinion of the SBB recipe in terms of the vitamins and Epsom salts?
I've never tried Bill's method, so I can't say.
A search of my rum notes doesn't find Epsom salts, so I guess I've never used them even though I have some. Whether, or not, you need it may depend on your local water. For vitamins, I use boiled yeast if I haven't got any Vegemite, (which is made out of yeast).

I researched how to make rum, made some, then kept notes that constantly get revised and referred to when deciding how to go about making the next rum, or series of rums. I don't actually have a 'recipe' to use because each stage requires decisions to be made to get the end result I'm aiming for at the time.
Never knew vegemite was made from yeast. Not sure what I'll do with that knowledge, but cool nonetheless.
Distillusioned
Novice

Post by Distillusioned »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:22 pm Incidentally , when I make any sugar wash I always add Epsom salts and vitamins now .
I made a sugar wash very early on. Sugar, water, yeast. It took forever to ferment, I stirred it often with a copper pipe to kill the sulphur smell, I still keep a little bit of the finished product to remind myself to never to that again. Though, it wasn't horrible...at least insofar as it didn't kill me.

Now that I think about it, I made a sugar wash 30+ years ago with the intention of drinking it. I don't recall what it tasted like...but I'm not sure if that's because I got blitzed or if my memory is just fading.

Edit: jeez, 40+ years ago. Getting old.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:22 pm some were down right horrible and some were really nice , but none of them tasted like any commercial Rum I could relate to
I'll test that theory next time you visit, Yummy ....my rum against 4 or 5 commercial Rums in a blind taste test.......none of them being Bundy.
Will see how you go picking what is what.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My first ever sugar wash used Vegemite and DAP for nutrients. It was so long ago that I don't remember where I got the idea from. It wasn't the internet, because it hadn't been invented yet. I did much of my research in a university library.

A bit of humor https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-09/ ... ew/6684188
Distillusioned
Novice

Post by Distillusioned »

NZChris wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:23 pm My first ever sugar wash used Vegemite and DAP for nutrients. It was so long ago that I don't remember where I got the idea from. It wasn't the internet, because it hadn't been invented yet. I did much of my research in a university library.

A bit of humor https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-09/ ... ew/6684188
Dang...good on you for being able to read that and think of it as humorous.

Ah, the library. I remember checking out Mr. Wizard books back in the day. Still remember the smell of the card catalog. Good times, but the internet is sooooo much more convenient, if not quite so pleasing to the senses.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:39 pm
Yummyrum wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:22 pm some were down right horrible and some were really nice , but none of them tasted like any commercial Rum I could relate to
I'll test that theory next time you visit, Yummy ....my rum against 4 or 5 commercial Rums in a blind taste test.......none of them being Bundy.
Will see how you go picking what is what.
OK , I’m curious and keen . :ebiggrin:
I like your Rum , but this will be to see what it tastes similar too not what its better than , because that wouldn’t be hard .

Although the last time I tried something like that at a meet and greet ,I was on my arse :oops:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Distillusioned wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:06 pm
NZChris wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:02 pm
Distillusioned wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:34 pm I don't have a problem waiting for it, but I'd like to know the stuff that I put up will eventually taste like rum.
Give some the 'hurry up' to get a preview of what it might turn out like. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55301
That really works (even as an approximation)? Really? I discounted that based on the subject line alone.
I've recently fermented and distilled 170kg of vine ripened Gold Kiwifruit I was given. The wine was terrible and I've had trouble deciding on cuts from the spirit run, so I put a sample cut in my Reactor with my local oak for seven days to see if that will help me decide, (the jars are still waiting on the bench with their lids on). The result is a big improvement on what went into the reactor and I'm happy to sip it as a brandy, so I'll do that cut and age it on that oak for a few years, rather than putting it through a Bokakob to use for gin.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

If you ever do try the Panela rum here's another tip.
Water, Panela, bread yeast and oyster shell.
Nothing else is needed, and the shell only of your wash needs it.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Distillusioned
Novice

Post by Distillusioned »

nerdybrewer wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:46 pm If you ever do try the Panela rum here's another tip.
Water, Panela, bread yeast and oyster shell.
Nothing else is needed, and the shell only of your wash needs it.
Y'know, I've never had much need for pH adjusting additives. Maybe due to the hard water I have? I had a water analysis done several years ago; I should go dig that out. My Panela is scheduled to be delivered somewhere between late July and mid-August. Good thing I have other things I can ferment. lol
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Same here Distillusioned. I might be able to squeeze some more efficiency out of my mashes by checking pH, but I've never had any trouble hitting the gravity I want and ferments always finish out dry. So I've never bothered with it. I figure if it works it works.
Plain ole pot rig.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I found molasses based rums needed little additional calcium. They have a decent amount in them already and it should be listed on the pds. Raw sugar did need buffering with my city water. Water and water additions are key to good fermentations. This is one place distillers should learn from Brewers.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I agree about very little being needed but adding rum backset or dunder to the ferment will add acidity so that's when I use the oyster shells.

Also, don't waste time and energy with crushed shells (IMO) they just are a mess to clean up.
Hang a shell or two inside, easy to clean up.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Crushed shells (sold here as 'shell grit' for poultry) are easy to clean up if you put them in a little bag.
I use the porous cleaning cloth that comes in tear-off sections in a big roll, can't think of the name.
Lay (say a handful of) the shell on a square of cloth and make a little bag that the Japanese call furoshiki.
Take two opposite corners and knot them.
Take the two remaining corners and knot them...

At the end of fermentation there may be little or no shell left in the bag.

Simple.

Geoff
The Baker
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

The Baker wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:12 am Crushed shells (sold here as 'shell grit' for poultry) are easy to clean up if you put them in a little bag.
I use the porous cleaning cloth that comes in tear-off sections in a big roll, can't think of the name.
Lay (say a handful of) the shell on a square of cloth and make a little bag that the Japanese call furoshiki.
Take two opposite corners and knot them.
Take the two remaining corners and knot them...

At the end of fermentation there may be little or no shell left in the bag.

Simple.

Geoff
Maybe I just like eating oysters... :D
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

nerdybrewer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 am

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Stay safe
OVZ
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:37 am
nerdybrewer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 am

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Stay safe
OVZ
That reminds me, think I'll put some extra smalls out in the smoker now!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Distillusioned
Novice

Post by Distillusioned »

So, my Panela was supposedly delivered...only problem is I received pre-cooked white corn meal instead. So now I have another month to wait for the replacement. Arrrgh!

I wonder if "pre-cooked white corn meal" would be good in a bourbon mash? I have 10kg of it, and they're letting me keep it for free, so I have to come up with something to do with it.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Distillusioned wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 am So, my Panela was supposedly delivered...only problem is I received pre-cooked white corn meal instead. So now I have another month to wait for the replacement. Arrrgh!

I wonder if "pre-cooked white corn meal" would be good in a bourbon mash? I have 10kg of it, and they're letting me keep it for free, so I have to come up with something to do with it.
The exact same thing happened to me last month. P.A.N. pre-cooked white corn meal instead of panela. I bet I know where you ordered your panela from! I'm going to incorporate the corn meal into a bourbon mash. At least we got something that can be fermented.
Plain ole pot rig.
Distillusioned
Novice

Post by Distillusioned »

River Rat wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:55 pm
Distillusioned wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 am So, my Panela was supposedly delivered...only problem is I received pre-cooked white corn meal instead. So now I have another month to wait for the replacement. Arrrgh!

The exact same thing happened to me last month. P.A.N. pre-cooked white corn meal instead of panela. I bet I know where you ordered your panela from! I'm going to incorporate the corn meal into a bourbon mash. At least we got something that can be fermented.
Try the arepa recipe on the package. Pretty tasty with butter.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Distillusioned
Novice

Post by Distillusioned »

Got so aggravated about the delivery, I forgot to mention that my last batch of rum is much better. It hasn't had but a week to sit, but I can tell it will be what I'm looking for after it ages. All I did was cut the heads a smidge sooner and go about 5 points further into the tails. I'm a happy camper...er pirate...now!

Oh, and I also made a wee little feints run with it. It was even more awesome. Having a bit of it right now!
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:10 pm If your not getting enough flavour make a small experimental wash using my recipe.......run that and see if you get enough flavour.
I think you will find that you will.....and only need to keep hearts in the process.
I can't wait to try this. I'm going to make enough to fill a used 15 gallon bourbon cask this November. Very, very excited
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Suggest you make a small batch first....it might not be to your liking .