scorched the hell out of the run... :(

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

scorched the hell out of the run... :(

Post by Evil_Dark »

First rum batch here... Based on the Bucaneer Bob'S receipe, but I didn't clarified the molasse, and added one crushed Vit B tablet.
Found feed grade molasse for cheap, this thing was very black and tasty, but not super thick.
The wash result wasn't clarified at all...
I've runned it for the stripping run, and it scorched on my element (3000W), even if I did ramped up the temperature slowly.

How do you clarify your mash ?
Thanks

Regards
Evil_Dark
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: scorched the hell out of the run... :(

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

How long was total ferment, and how long did you let it sit after it was done?

Only thing that ever scorched my element with rum wash has been excess yeast. I generally let a wash sit after a ferment at least as long as it took to ferment out. But I generally pitch yeast and then run it a month later.

Also, not sure i have ever clarified my molasses. I use grade A, though, as I drive to Golden Barrel once a year or so and get bulk cheaper than TS feed molasses.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Give the wash a week or more to settle out, I generally transfer from the fermentor a couple of days after the ferment stops to a clean container, then let that sit for a week or more then carefully rack off to the boiler. Never clarified mollases and never scorched, had a few spews though due to being impatient :wave:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ive made a lot of Rum, Ive never needed to clarify and never had a scorch. Let the wash settle a few days at least before siphoning it off leaving any yeast n sludge in the bottom of the fermenter.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Like Bill, I’ve never clarified and never scorched a rum.

How many Watts were you using?

What was your OG and FG?

How much molasses, how much sugar?
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Okay, I think I understand that i clearly didn't waint enough to let the wash settle down and clarify itself.
4L of molasse
2.5kg of sugar
1 tablet of crushed vitamin B

Fermentation was done after 5 days, attempted to make the stripping run the 6th day... Way too early.
My element is a 3000 watts, but i tried to climb the temperature slowly. I did let the yeast ferment in the bottom of the fermenter... But the wash was very opaque brown and cloudy. I used a cotton cloth to filter as much as I could when I racked it.

Should have let the wash settle another 4-5 days, before racking it into another recipient/carboy to let it sit for enough time to see it being more clear.

Is that correct?
Regards
Evil_Dark
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't rack rum and I don't think having a bit of yeast in the boiler is a problem.

Running the element at all of it's 3000W might be a problem if there are enough combustibles in the wash to burn on. That's why I was trying to figure out if the ferment had used up all of the useable sugar.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

NZChris wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:06 pm I don't rack rum and I don't think having a bit of yeast in the boiler is a problem.

Running the element at all of it's 3000W might be a problem if there are enough combustibles in the wash to burn on. That's why I was trying to figure out if the ferment had used up all of the useable sugar.
How long between you wash and your strippint run approximately?
Evil_Dark
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Depending on what I'm making, the day after it goes dead, or wait another 6 days for flavor development.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If your problem is the high Watt density of your element, or the amount of sugar plus organic nonsugars in the wash, or a combination of both, clarifying, settling, racking, or filtering won't make the problem go away.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Ok just for the sake of sharing my constantly growing knowledge, I found out that finally I didn't had scorched the run at all.

I remade a new rum wash, and I adjusted the receipe regarding the recipes and experiences i've read everywhere.
I diminushed the molasse from 4L to 2L, removed the B vitamins as they may produce bad tastes (they ARE tasting bad actually...) and I increased the amount of sugars a bit. Added a pinch of epsom salt.
The wash was still very dark, finished to ferment after 5 days, I let it sit for another 6 days. I then racked out the wash and let the lies/yeast and the solids in the bottom.
I've runned the new wash in the pot still and increased VERY slowly the temperature, fearing the possibility of scorching.
The new run created a spirit with a similar taste, but not as strong as the last one. So the "burned" or "smoky" taste came from the molasse, whis is super strong and not sweetened at all.
So I was wrong, it was not scorched, it was the "natural" taste carried over during the distillation.
This molasse will produce a strong and deep flavored rum, I will have fun blending it to make a dark spiced rum :D
So now I think that the molasse used for the wash will have a huge impact on the taste carried over the distillation.

Thanks all for your inputs, it helped me to make my head around this new rum production!
Evil_Dark
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

2L of molasses in a wash won't make a " strong and deep flavoured " Rum.
I think what you think is a scorched taste is simply Rum fresh off the still.
Don't expect Rum to taste beutifull ten mins after it comes off the still.......It takes time to make Rum.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I should have thought to ask how you knew it was scorched :roll:

A scorch would have had you scraping burnt solids off your element.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

NZChris wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:44 pm I should have thought to ask how you knew it was scorched :roll:

A scorch would have had you scraping burnt solids off your element.
The element was dirty. But didn't had any solid cooked on it... So hard for me to tell if it was the case or not.
I still have to learn about the real rum taste, and need to develop my experience on the subject!
It would be nice to share some spirit with others to know what different processes are tasting :P
Evil_Dark
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Before you use the same molasses again, taste it and ask yourself if it has a hint of the flavor you were describing as scorched.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You can scorch a new rum wash by trying to get it up to temperature with an aquarium heater.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:50 am Before you use the same molasses again, taste it and ask yourself if it has a hint of the flavor you were describing as scorched.
Yes exactly. It has the "smoky" taste in the background, which made me think that i've scorched.
After running the second ferment, I've decided to taste the molasse again, and then realized my mistake.

It's not like hell, and it's a bit similar taste that is present in grocery grandma fancy molasse, but more deep and much more predominant. Like it has burned a litle during the fabrication process.
Evil_Dark
seedfarm
Novice

Post by seedfarm »

I'm on my 2nd batch of a SSBish all molly recipe and had some scorching using exactly the same ingredients as 1st batch. I added dunder from the 1st batch in the suggested volume so I'm wondering if that might have contributed?

My kettle (Spiritworks) also acts as a temp controlled fermentation vessel running a 500W element and I got a light scorch on the bottom during fermentation! I think I'm going to have to move to dedicated fermentation heaters as that just seems wrong... :|

I waited a couple of days after fermentation finished (seemed to ferment out dry and stripping yield was good.) before I racked into another container, leaving the trub. I scrubbed the kettle back but still had some marks on it before my stripping run. After the stripping run I've got more deposits on my kettle in the same place - they look like burnt caramel and are NOT coming off! :oops:

Any hints and tips on how to remove that? I want to get it clean before my spirit run and I've got a few litres of low wines staring at me in the corner!
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Not sure about your particular case. You heat the ferment vessel during the fermentation? Why? I don't I ferment at 24-26 celcius.
For sure during the fermentation there is a lot of deposits, and they act like and insulation, so the heat get not distributed well in your kettle... Maybe.
So you shoud find a way to lower the power output of your element, like at 100W to avoid a heat shock that may cook and scorch...
You can start another thread to gather help from more people than may have good advices on your particular issue!
Regards
Evil_Dark
seedfarm
Novice

Post by seedfarm »

The only way to be sure about a mistake is to make it twice, so I did. :oops:

I didn't scorch in the ferment, I scorched when I was heating up my wash beforehand to get the molasses to dissolve. The next batch I set up I did it again but better. The recipes add hot dunder to molasses rather than add cold liquid and cold molasses to a pot and heat that up without stirring - the molasses sits at the bottom and doesn't disburse heat. Recipes are not just a list of ingredients but also a process and that's important!

To answer my own question about removing the scorched on Hell-Caramel, I soaked it for a day, scraped most off with the edge of a spoon and scrubbed the remainder off with a green scotch brite pad.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

seedfarm wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:12 am The only way to be sure about a mistake is to make it twice, so I did. :oops:

I didn't scorch in the ferment, I scorched when I was heating up my wash beforehand to get the molasses to dissolve. The next batch I set up I did it again but better. The recipes add hot dunder to molasses rather than add cold liquid and cold molasses to a pot and heat that up without stirring - the molasses sits at the bottom and doesn't disburse heat. Recipes are not just a list of ingredients but also a process and that's important!

To answer my own question about removing the scorched on Hell-Caramel, I soaked it for a day, scraped most off with the edge of a spoon and scrubbed the remainder off with a green scotch brite pad.
For sure the thick molasse can act as an isulation... I scorched many times my meals, so I now already have the tendency to heat low-and-slow, everywhere I heat or cook stuff. That's part of the benefits of the grey hair I guess...
The good thing about the mistakes are the lessons, thanks for sharing!
Evil_Dark