Feedstock molly vs shop one

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Virandell
Swill Maker

Feedstock molly vs shop one

Post by Virandell »

Hi guys is it any diffrence in taste between shop molly and feedstock one ? Its about 10£ diffrence between feedstock and shop one for 7kg but if shop one will give me a better end product I can pay more :)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Feedstock molly vs shop one

Post by still_stirrin »

Examples? How much for “shop molly” vs “feed stock”?

Also, what is the source for each? Where do you get it?

It is hard to say one is “better” than the other without knowing what each source is. You’re asking a “how long is a string” type of question here. We need more data to offer any suggestion other than, “try both and decide for yourself”.

I’ve used grocery store molasses and livestock (feed) molasses. I’ve also used the “deer lick” molasses from the Tractor Supply (farmers supply) Store. The molasses are all different and produce a different “quality” of product. And, respectively, the cost is quite different as well.

So, you’re going to have to be more descriptive with respect to your question if you want to get an answer to it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

I suggest you buy both and taste them for yourself to know the difference . I find If your baking cakes then shop molly tastes better :) but if your making rum and the feedstock tastes ok then save yourself some money and get the feedstock. Just check that it doesnt contain additives like sulphites or corn oil.
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:30 pm Examples? How much for “shop molly” vs “feed stock”?

Also, what is the source for each? Where do you get it?

It is hard to say one is “better” than the other without knowing what each source is. You’re asking a “how long is a string” type of question here. We need more data to offer any suggestion other than, “try both and decide for yourself”.

I’ve used grocery store molasses and livestock (feed) molasses. I’ve also used the “deer lick” molasses from the Tractor Supply (farmers supply) Store. The molasses are all different and produce a different “quality” of product. And, respectively, the cost is quite different as well.

So, you’re going to have to be more descriptive with respect to your question if you want to get an answer to it.
ss
Thanks for answer buddy feedstock for horse cost around 9£ for 7kg or for 25L for 32£ which is the best deal and shop one cost 16£ for 7kg, feedstock one I can get locally, The one for human consumption I would have to order online.
Feedstock content

Composition Sugar cane molasses Analytical Constituents Total sugars (as sucrose)44.3%

BETA NOPS , Free From Prohibited Substances , Safe for Lactating Mares, Safe for Pregnant Mares

Shop
Carbohydrates 64.00

Net carbs 64.00

Sugars 64.00
Screenshot_20211206-214246_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211206-214303_Samsung Internet.jpg
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

The NAF molasses is what I use to make my rum - it is pure cane molasses with no additives. Treacle does contain some sulphites
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

Rum Agol wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:53 pm The NAF molasses is what I use to make my rum - it is pure cane molasses with no additives. Treacle does contain some sulphites
That's good news :D is it similar in taste to black treacle then?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Treacle and Molasses are different things.
Use the stockfeed......it's the same thing commercial distilleries use......unless it's had additives added.
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:02 pm Treacle and Molasses are different things.
Use the stockfeed......it's the same thing commercial distilleries use......unless it's had additives added.
They don't mentioning anything about additives so I think it's alright
That's what they say
"Premium grade, un-sulphured blend. Loss of appetite may be brought on by a variety of reasons environmental change, illness or simply that the horse has become bored with the food offered. Varying the taste of the food occasionally is good practice, and molasses is the traditional choice for taste. NAF Molasses is an easy pour blend that can be simply added to feed to enhance palatability. Molasses also act as a natural dust suppressant in feed."
Composition
Sugar cane molasses
My English is abit shi* what mean "un-sulphured blend" ?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Virandell wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:50 pm My English is abit shi* what mean "un-sulphured blend" ?
Means there is no Sulphur in it, apparently some does have it added, none I have ever bought here in this country has Sulphur added.
Virandell wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:50 pm NAF Molasses is an easy pour blend
The word "blend" in the sentence above says to me that there are other ingredients.
Any thing added should be written on the label I would think.
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

Yee that blend confusing me aswell but on the label apparently they just saying its contain sugar cane.
Theres the link to their product
https://www.naf-equine.eu/uk/health/molasses
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

@SaltbushBill I just found out that feedstock actually contain condensed molasses solubes, cane molasses, vegetable oil, emulsifier e484, flavouring (caramel) ehh I think I will pay abit more and buy that black treacle, in UK I don't see any big containers (7kg+of molasses apart from black treacle)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Or, you could get some of each and try ‘em. Who knows, you may end up liking the feedstore molasses just fine after distilling it a few times.
ss
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

I found cheap livestock molasse, and tried twice to make a ferment with it.
When I first poured the molasse in my fermenter, it had a lot of dusty particle layin on top layer...
I used 4L of this molasse, with 5.5lbs of sugar and nutrients.
The first distillation product was tasting like scorched...
I tried another batch, but this time I used just 2L of molasse. It tasted better out of my still, but I then realized that the first batch wasn't scorched, it was the off taste created by the molasse.
So I tend to think that if you use a fancier molasse, it may produce a smoother taste in the spirit...

I will try it out to compare myself. I personally enjoy more the smoother tastes...
Just to continue my story, I've started the 3rd ferment with 1L of molasse, 1L of dunder from the previous distillation, and I've added some coconut flesh on the wash, just in case it would carry over a nice coconut caracter...

Happy distillin!
Last edited by Evil_Dark on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Evil_Dark
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Evil_Dark,

Try to run 3X or 4X to “clean up” the flavors from a heavy, feedstock molasses.

I found that I needed to push the purity up to 90%AbV on subsequent spirit runs (2X & 3X after a stripping run) to get a “palatable” spirit when using the deer lick molasses, which incidentally was very thick and oily. Finally, it turned out OK when diluted to bottle strength (100 proof).

But at $10USD for a gallon (14 lb.), it was still a pretty good deal. You can also “buffer” the ferment with sugar too if the brix is too high and the flavors too strong.

And remember, it is difficult to measure the OG with a rum wash because of all the other “stuff” in the molly. So, I typically measure the molasses by weight when adding to the hot water. And yes, I do boil it for 15 minutes, or so, to help break down some of the oils that are in the molasses. It will help clearing when the ferment is done.
ss
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Livestock molasses is more likely to be variable than culinary. If I buy some and it tastes really nice, I buy another container before I leave the store.

The only food grade molasses I've used is needing long ageing because it was a bit bland, tastes like golden syrup to me, even at five years, but it is improving every year.

The worst stockfood molasses I've used took two years to get close to drinkable, went through a stage when I thought I must have put a bottle of coconut essence in it when I was too drunk to remember doing it, then lost a lot of the coconut and started coming right at about three years.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:09 am Evil_Dark,

Try to run 3X or 4X to “clean up” the flavors from a heavy, feedstock molasses.

I found that I needed to push the purity up to 90%AbV on subsequent spirit runs (2X & 3X after a stripping run) to get a “palatable” spirit when using the deer lick molasses, which incidentally was very thick and oily. Finally, it turned out OK when diluted to bottle strength (100 proof).

But at $10USD for a gallon (14 lb.), it was still a pretty good deal. You can also “buffer” the ferment with sugar too if the brix is too high and the flavors too strong.

And remember, it is difficult to measure the OG with a rum wash because of all the other “stuff” in the molly. So, I typically measure the molasses by weight when adding to the hot water. And yes, I do boil it for 15 minutes, or so, to help break down some of the oils that are in the molasses. It will help clearing when the ferment is done.
ss
Thanks for the tip. How would you boil the molasse? Diluting it with water before boiling it?
After being boiled, do you put the whole result into the ferment or you do separate the sediments or oil in any way?
Evil_Dark
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Evil_Dark wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:02 amHow would you boil the molasse? Diluting it with water before boiling it?
After being boiled, do you put the whole result into the ferment or you do separate the sediments or oil in any way?
When making a rum wash, I add 8 to 10 lbs of molasses to 5 gallons of hot water in my brew kettle. Then I’ll heat it up to boiling and simmer it for 15 to 20 minutes. It “sanitizes” the wash and initiates a protein break, coalescing the oils for elimination by skimming the foam off the top.

After the short boil, I cool the wash with a wort chiller, either my immersion coil or my counterflow chiller before running the wash into the fermenter. I pitch the activated yeast slurry as I’m filling the fermenter. It usually is very active within an hour.
ss
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:15 am When making a rum wash, I add 8 to 10 lbs of molasses to 5 gallons of hot water in my brew kettle. Then I’ll heat it up to boiling and simmer it for 15 to 20 minutes. It “sanitizes” the wash and initiates a protein break, coalescing the oils for elimination by skimming the foam off the top.

After the short boil, I cool the wash with a wort chiller, either my immersion coil or my counterflow chiller before running the wash into the fermenter. I pitch the activated yeast slurry as I’m filling the fermenter. It usually is very active within an hour.
ss
Ok thanks for the clarification, will try and look for the difference in the result!
Evil_Dark
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you do go to the trouble and expense of boiling your wash, (I never have), keep the skimmings for your trash pit.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:44 am If you do go to the trouble and expense of boiling your wash, (I never have), keep the skimmings for your trash pit.
Not boiling the wash, but only the molasses.
Evil_Dark
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Good luck trying to boil straight molasses without burning it onto your still or element.

I leave clarifying to the industrial producers who run continuous plated stills 24/7 and don't like calcium build up blocking the plates. Pots can be run dirty.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ive only ever seen/ heard of, one other person trying to boil straight molasses with no added water, the result was spectacularly unsuccessful. :lol:
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:09 pm Ive only ever seen/ heard of, one other person trying to boil straight molasses with no added water, the result was spectacularly unsuccessful. :lol:
Nah Still Stirrin was talking about simmering the molasse/water mix. I am currently doin it as I type this...
Will start the wash tonight, side by side with my other one with the unboiled molasse to see the difference.
Evil_Dark
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Evil_Dark wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:02 pm
Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:09 pm Ive only ever seen/ heard of, one other person trying to boil straight molasses with no added water, the result was spectacularly unsuccessful. :lol:
Nah Still Stirrin was talking about simmering the molasse/water mix. I am currently doin it as I type this...
Will start the wash tonight, side by side with my other one with the unboiled molasse to see the difference.
Didn’t you say this:
Evil_Dark wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:03 am Not boiling the wash, but only the molasses. <— <— <—
So, perhaps there is a communication breakdown here. The molasses is a syrup, too thick to boil without water, right? NZChris and Saltbush Bill were simply referring to what you’d previously commented, not about my comments.
ss
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Fair enought, i should have said "Not the wash, but the molasse mixed with water"...
Just finished. The wash is is in the ferment now!
Evil_Dark