Muck conversion?

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

MihiT
Bootlegger

Muck conversion?

Post by MihiT »

So I chucked a few generations of dunder into an open bucket, probably been there a few months now, It grew all kinds of lovely mould flotilla, but the thing is... it started smelling sweet again!

As I type, I'm boiling it (I should have got an hydrometer reading first)
And it'll be going in a fermenter with new yeast this arvo.
Just wondering if anyone's come across conversion like this? If it did in fact convert.

I have a pic of the mould which I'll post when on PC. There's plenty good wild bacteria around, I dry cure meat and run a sour mash as well, so that will be local.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Muck conversion?

Post by NZChris »

What is the pH?

Commercially, essence is created using muck and vinegar from the trash pit.
MihiT
Bootlegger

Post by MihiT »

NZChris wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:25 pm What is the pH?

Commercially, essence is created using muck and vinegar from the trash pit.
OK, so there was no actual sugar/conversion, gravity reads same as stillage. Must have been the moulds giving off sweet smell. (Aerobic moulds, though?)

Should maybe also have mentioned I roll my own yoghurt and there's a bit of bread mould around as well.

pH is something I haven't even given consideration. I have some seashells to chuck into the fermenter when it starts acting like it needs it. But I don't measure/test for it.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It's probably safer to add the dunder when the ferment is close to dead. Less chance of an infection killing the yeast.

Commercially, muck pits are monitored for pH and adjusted with marl to keep desirable bacteria happy. A search of the forum might find the pH they use.