rum oak and colour

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Royalwulf
Novice

rum oak and colour

Post by Royalwulf »

Made my first molasses rum. Put them in different oaks and ABV to experiment.
They changed colour over the first few days. It is now day 9 and they haven't noticeably changed much since the first few days.
Will it get darker over the next few months? Plan to keep it in oak as long as I can, very hard though :)
More interested in taste over colour but just wondered.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: rum oak and colour

Post by Saltbush Bill »

It should keep getting darker as time goes on, having said that I have no idea what type of oak you are using or how it has been toasted or charred.
take a photo.....take another one in a month.....its hard to see change if your looking every day or hour or two.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

In my experience so far, I find that the biggest change in colour occurs fairly early on. And more so with charred oak. After a week it will continue to get darker but it's really not too visible to the naked eye.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Royalwulf
Novice

Post by Royalwulf »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:27 pm It should keep getting darker as time goes on, having said that I have no idea what type of oak you are using or how it has been toasted or charred.
take a photo.....take another one in a month.....its hard to see change if your looking every day or hour or two.
yeah, i do look every day. I have still spirits American Oak Medium Toasted Carboy Spiral about 4 cm per l and Virgin American Oak Dominos (blocks) — Medium Toast 1 per l
trying them on (about) 55 ABV and 65 abv
Royalwulf
Novice

Post by Royalwulf »

NormandieStill wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:41 pm In my experience so far, I find that the biggest change in colour occurs fairly early on. And more so with charred oak. After a week it will continue to get darker but it's really not too visible to the naked eye.
Interesting. The lower abv sample took longer to colour but seems to have ended up the same as the higher abv sample. Will take a photo in the morning.
Royalwulf
Novice

Post by Royalwulf »

Will sunlight make any difference? Should they be in the dark or does light not make a difference?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I prefer to keep mine out of direct sun, a darkish place.
Nine days really isn't much of an indicator of what will happen in the coming months.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:59 pm I prefer to keep mine out of direct sun, a darkish place.
Nine days really isn't much of an indicator of what will happen in the coming months.
I agree , stop looking at it .
Aging on Oak is …. Aging…. Not days … not weeks …. Think months and years .

So get cracking and make some more . Hide it in a dark place and keep making more .

In a years time , then go looking at the first stuff .

Edit : less oak s better than more Oak at the end of the day .