Fresh dunder?

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sailman
Swill Maker

Fresh dunder?

Post by Sailman »

OK about a month ago I started some a batch of pugirum. I followed the directions as close as I could with what I could find local. I'm trying to get enough to fill a 5 Barrel. I did 4 -10 gallon fermentations that wound up being 4 stripping runs and 2 spirit runs. Fresh dunder was kept from all of the runs and add it back to the next ferment. A combined 2 stripping runs to dopen runs to do one spirit run and added equal amounts of dunder to the still. Yesterday when I did the spirit run opened up and I opened up one of the buckets with dunder in it and this is what I saw. Is this the start of a muck bucket? I was unsure if this would be safe to use so I did not charge the still with it. It looks similar to some of the pictures I've seen here but something that I'm gonna drink I just wanted to make sure before I before I use it.
20220403_121028.jpg
20220403_121059.jpg
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fresh dunder?

Post by Danespirit »

Well, I had a dunder pit going once and sure enough mold started to come.
There is no need to be worried as it's perfectly normal.
Have a look at some of the distilleries in the Caribbean.
They work with open dunder pits and you don' want to know what's all in there..
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Sailman wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:31 am Yesterday when I did the spirit run opened up and I opened up one of the buckets with dunder in it and this is what I saw. Is this the start of a muck bucket?
Yes and No..

Was your barrel/bucket well seal or just with a lid on it.. from the pictures, I would assume it was seal..

A dunder pit should not really be sealed, as the dunder need some air, and a frest dunder pit usually doesn't with having mole on it, it usually starts by having some brownish crush first and over time mole will start/appear, more like the pictures attached in behavior..

Mars
One month old dunder pit
One month old dunder pit
Ten months muck pit
Ten months muck pit
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Mars,
What is the black pipe for? I assume it is for drawing off dunder from under the pellicle. Is it just free standing in the bucket with a few holes in it below the liquid level?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:49 pm What is the black pipe for? I assume it is for drawing off dunder from under the pellicle. Is it just free standing in the bucket with a few holes in it below the liquid level?
The black pipe is for filling the pit after some liquid has been extracted, thereby not disturbing the surface of the pit.. and the liquid is drawn from a spigot about 3" off the bottom, and the pit is 7.5 gal bucket filled with 6.5 gal.. I extracted from the pit 3 times now, taking off slowly and refilling the same..

Mars
DSC022551.jpg
DSC022571.jpg
DSC023001.jpg
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I see. Thanks Mars. Very interesting set up.
Rum and dunder fascinate me, but until I find a rum that makes me wat to drink it, or inspires me to make some, I'm content to just follow along and read about all things you dunderheads are up to.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Hannibbl
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hannibbl »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:46 pm I see. Thanks Mars. Very interesting set up.
Rum and dunder fascinate me, but until I find a rum that makes me wat to drink it, or inspires me to make some, I'm content to just follow along and read about all things you dunderheads are up to.
Try a bottle of smith and cross rum. I didn’t really like rum until I had some. The funkiest rum I have ever had by far. Now I am chasing that flavor and trying to replicate it as best I can.

My dunder/muck pit has Hefeweizen yeasts, sourdough starter hooch, and some sour mash whiskey spent grains. Going to run a batch of rum in 2 days that had a little of this dunder in it. But I think my feed molasses was not of the best quality as it has a very odd smell to it. Going to do the stripping runs and see how it turns out, before I waste precious dunder in the spirit run.