When yall age your whiskey what spices ( if any) do you add along with the oak?

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MississippiMudDawg
Novice

When yall age your whiskey what spices ( if any) do you add along with the oak?

Post by MississippiMudDawg »

I've got a stash of fresh allspice, nutmeg, star anise, cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and Madagascar vanilla beans. Anybody use any of those in their recipe?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: When yall age your whiskey what spices ( if any) do you add along with the oak?

Post by NZChris »

I'm not a supertaster myself, so if I'm trying to emulate a particular drink, I look up tasting notes for it. If I find any useful info, or can identify anything myself, I consider adding tiny amounts of the botanicals.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: When yall age your whiskey what spices ( if any) do you add along with the oak?

Post by Windy City »

I wouldn’t put anything in my whiskey other than oak but you do have a bunch of great spices for a spiced rum
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Nothing but oak, and time.
Peach, and apple pie on the otherhand get cinnamon sticks and a pinch of coarsely ground nutmeg.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

i put dried apricots in my corn wiskey. vanilla and coco chips may be usefull but do not over do it.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Added a Tonka bean to 30 liters UJSSM in an oak barrel.
Gave a great vanilla/almond taste.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Occasionally I’ll add a piece of vanilla bean.
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

For my whiskies it’s oak. Sometimes i’ll use oak from a wine ferment. Brandy and grappa i’ll macerate some spices or orange peels and redistill depending. I’m getting ready to do a blue agave and have read a little about pine needles so i’m researching for that - i’ll probably do a small batch with pine needles in the vapor path to make a bottle or two that way. Gin mare’s use a grain/whiskey base so there’s that to experiment with and a lightly fruit geisted clean white whiskey might be cool too with some thoughtful pairing.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:51 amhave read a little about pine needles so i’m researching for that - i’ll probably do a small batch with pine needles in the vapor path to make a bottle or two that way.
I'm curious about the pine needles! I've had beer made with spruce tips (Allagash) that was unique and fantastic... Please report back.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

TwoSheds wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:21 am
jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:51 amhave read a little about pine needles so i’m researching for that - i’ll probably do a small batch with pine needles in the vapor path to make a bottle or two that way.
I'm curious about the pine needles! I've had beer made with spruce tips (Allagash) that was unique and fantastic... Please report back.
I will once I get through a few other ferments thank you :) I'll post notes in the Agave thread and probably do a small batch maceration or infusion after I make some base agave spirit. Probably order something like this for the pine needle botanical but looking around -

I can see this as a gin like spirit with pine instead of juniper and an agave base spirit - macerated or infused and redistilled like a gin ->
http://ediblesouthwestcolorado.com/tag/ ... e-tequila/
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————