Peated malt + speciality malt and sherry wine

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Virandell
Swill Maker

Peated malt + speciality malt and sherry wine

Post by Virandell »

Hi guys I done two stripping runs of 33% Marris otter 33% Pale ale and 33% of heavy peated malt, I know it was just stripping run, but I already knew something is missing in that low wines I read abit and I seen some people giving speciality malts so I ordered 4lbs of chocolate malt and special B malt.
Anybody been doing combination of chocolate malt or special B malt + heavy peated malt ? I am planning to add 2% of chocolate malt and 2% special B malt and I am hoping it will somehow add complexity to my whisky without ruining it :D
Recently I been drinking Glenallachie 12y and it had beautiful biscuit flavour and 15y had reisin and coffe/chocolate flavour.
Also I am planning to add sherry wine to my whisky maybe 1 or 2 oz per gallon of whisky what do you think guys ?
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Peated malt + speciality malt and sherry wine

Post by 8Ball »

I haven’t used the specialty grains you mention, but I have done enough of this one to fill my 5G cask: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... t=American

It is all aging in glass on used white oak until I dump the cask of rum in 16 months.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

8Ball wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:30 pm I haven’t used the specialty grains you mention, but I have done enough of this one to fill my 5G cask: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... t=American

It is all aging in glass on used white oak until I dump the cask of rum in 16 months.
Sounds good buddy :clap: well I will see hopefully soon I will gonna do mash today and as soon as will stop fermenting I will do stripping run and run all low wines on my plated column.
Anybody can recommend me how many sticks roughly should I put for 1gallon of whisky ? They are around 1cm x 1cm x 3cm-4cm.
I done sticks myself I have heavy toasted ones and medium toasted the heavy ones I am planning to char aswell
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Virandell wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:58 pm Anybody can recommend me how many sticks roughly should I put for 1gallon of whisky? They are around 1cm x 1cm x 3cm-4cm.
I’d use at least 1/2 dozen of those chunks in a gallon jug, maybe even 8. One of the 1cm x 1cm x 4cm chunks would work in a half pint (400ml) mason jar. So, 6 to 8 would be about right for a gallon.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:36 am
Virandell wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:58 pm Anybody can recommend me how many sticks roughly should I put for 1gallon of whisky? They are around 1cm x 1cm x 3cm-4cm.
I’d use at least 1/2 dozen of those chunks in a gallon jug, maybe even 8. One of the 1cm x 1cm x 4cm chunks would work in a half pint (400ml) mason jar. So, 6 to 8 would be about right for a gallon.
ss
Perfect thanks alot :D
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I Agree 100% with SS on the number of sticks.......thats about exactly what I would use.
It's always better to use to little for longer , than to much for a short period of time.
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:17 am I Agree 100% with SS on the number of sticks.......thats about exactly what I would use.
It's always better to use to little for longer , than to much for a short period of time.
Righty thanks alot :) Do you think guys for scotch will be good idea to use 4 heavy toasted oak sticks and char them allitle from one side with blowtorch , and add another 4 medium toasted ones without charring them ? I am alittle worried about the heavy ones I could get acrid flavour I done them at 428f for 2h and after that I read it should be 400f
Or just don't bother and add only medium toasted ones without charring them ?
Left are heavy toasted and right medium.
IMG_20210711_001332.jpg
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Personally I would use only the medium toast sticks, none of the heavy toasted sticks, and I would not char them. Just my preference. I find oak toasted above 400 to be too acrid. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

OtisT wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:26 pm Personally I would use only the medium toast sticks, none of the heavy toasted sticks, and I would not char them. Just my preference. I find oak toasted above 400 to be too acrid. Otis
Righty thanks alot for answer, I thought I used abit to high temperature ... what taste heavy toasted oak should give ?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Virandell wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:36 pm
OtisT wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:26 pm Personally I would use only the medium toast sticks, none of the heavy toasted sticks, and I would not char them. Just my preference. I find oak toasted above 400 to be too acrid. Otis
Righty thanks alot for answer, I thought I used abit to high temperature ... what taste heavy toasted oak should give ?
Here are a two threads that contain charts on flavors by temp and by oak type. I can’t vouch for their source or accuracy but they do a better job describing the flavors than I ever could.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=66070

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=70639

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels