Wild Turkey Master Distiller

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Wild Turkey Master Distiller

Post by Sunshineer »

https://wildturkeybourbon.com/news/60-y ... ks-turkey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Good read guys thought I'd share this with forum.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Re: Wild Turkey Master Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

If I were to pick a bourbon daily sipper, I'd easily pick WT 101. The Rare Breed is damn good too.
In my market, both of them have kept their prices attainable while others have skyrocketed.
SwollenGoat23
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SwollenGoat23 »

Thanks for that post, it's a good read. Man, a 60yr old yeast is just crazy to think about in terms of flavor and characteristics.
Thanks Bro.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

My pleasure glad you enjoyed it I sure did. 60 year old yeast caught my eye also. As did all the other articles bourbon 101 is another good read make sure that you check out the whole site.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thanx Sunshineer. Enjoyed that.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Your Very Welcome.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Just wanted to keep this thread active there is a lot of great information on this site look around it's worth the read for sure.
bbbark
Novice

Post by bbbark »

The newest out (~2017 first sold) is "Decades", pricey, but excellent. I now have a bottle of it next to my Kentucky Spirt, which sits next to my Rare Breed.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

SaltyStaves wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:22 pm If I were to pick a bourbon daily sipper, I'd easily pick WT 101. The Rare Breed is damn good too.
In my market, both of them have kept their prices attainable while others have skyrocketed.
It's a favorite of mine as well for he money! Really well balanced, got some spice, always surprises depending on what you just drank or ate. Good proof, can be watered down if wanted just like their 80/81 proof offering. It stands up to ice really well.

It's an all around solid Kentucky Bourbon that is in my mind under priced (which is good). Unlike some of the "brighter" or more vanilla/carmaly offerings by other companies it can be used to even mix with some "ripe" new make only a month or two old sitting on some chips or staves. About 25% WT 101 mixed with some fresh whiskey getting aged goes a long way mixed with new make and can be quite drinkable and actually enjoyable. It may not be good enough for a 3 finger drink but works quite well in a good whiskey sour, old fashion or Manhattan.

Even better if using WT rye and you have a high rye grain bill. Those three cocktails all seem better with rye then bourbon to me. I like them the traditional way. :)
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

SaltyStaves wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:22 pm If I were to pick a bourbon daily sipper, I'd easily pick WT 101. The Rare Breed is damn good too.
Agreed. Sipping some Rate Breed right now.
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Have never been a fan of WT, it seems very harsh to me, but maybe thats because I like wheated better than ryed bourbon. I'll have to keep an open mind and give the Rare Breed a try.
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

FL Brewer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:30 am Have never been a fan of WT, it seems very harsh to me, but maybe thats because I like wheated better than ryed bourbon. I'll have to keep an open mind and give the Rare Breed a try.
I too am not the biggest fan of WT, but if you're feeling adventurous, check out Redemption High Rye Bourbon. It's quite tasty & in same price bracket.

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

FL Brewer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:30 am Have never been a fan of WT, it seems very harsh to me, but maybe thats because I like wheated better than ryed bourbon. I'll have to keep an open mind and give the Rare Breed a try.
I like wheated too.
Couple of weeks ago, I was in the ABC buying PImms for SWMBO and I usually look at the miniatures to see if there's anything I want to taste.
Saw Larceny Small Batch. Never tried it but I needed Bourbon & Coke for the game. (Roll Tide)
Anyway very smooth for a 92 proof.
Online the mashbill is stated at 68 percent corn, 20 percent wheat, and 12 percent malted barley.
They also state that the "Very Small Batch" means they never use more than 200 barrels for "a batch".
(I have not idea how that compares, but I'd say that calls for a separate thread)

For comparison, here is Alabama a 750ml is $26.99, two dollars more than WT101.
Larceny.png
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

$27 is less than it is here in the PNW, then the "govnah" adds an additional 27% sin tax. (Which is the primary reason I got into this hobby.)
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

thanks for the link, love the 101