Question about bourbon

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

huxley
Novice

Question about bourbon

Post by huxley »

My question is. For bourbon style what are the cuts for a spirit run. Is it purely “hearts” that goes into the barrel?
Or is it more like scotch, where there’s a little heads and tails added to the hearts for it to then go into the barrel ?

I’ve done a few striping runs of some corn/malt washes I made, before doing a pot still run with all my new low wine, I’m trying to gather information before I Use my new barrel.

Thank you.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Question about bourbon

Post by seamusm53 »

There is no hard and fast dividing line between heads/hearts/tails and cuts are a matter of taste and experience. So what YOU put in the barrel for ageing depends on your experience and what you are hoping for. There isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' answer. Many believe that it is the hearts and heads which add complexity to a whiskey so they are willing to add more. I do think that there is some risk in doing so and that is where experience comes in. Few hobbyists acquire enough of that necessary experience so many of us tend to age only hearts. But keep in mind that means we are either throwing out a lot of alcohol or adding it back to the next run.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I was at the same point you are a year ago, and asked essentially the same question. It was pointed out that the wider the cut, the longer the aging period, and the more complex the finished whiskey. I was also told that commercial distillers seeking bottom line take almost no cuts, while a homedistiller putting just hearts into the barrel can produce a bland one-dimensional spirit.

Looking for the most complex product I could get from my hard work, I followed the advice given below and took very modest cuts, (I'll post my spirit run log if I can find it) stretching my keep greatly. A year later, I can say I love the complexity of the spirit, although aging in glass has not dissipated the high-alcohol heat that might have come from the 'extended' heads I ultimately decided to keep. You won't have that problem with a barrel.

These might help:

Cuts for aging bourbon

Bourbon Cuts for 'Complexity'
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

+1 For advice from Twisted Brick.

When starting out I think it is very helpful to speed up the learning curve by making several different blends with the same batch to compare.

Collect in small jars and create 3 or 4 blends, adjusting the amounts of heads and/or tails in each.

Over time this will help you know what the heads and tails lend to the character of the whiskey, and will help you zero in on what type of cuts work best for you.
Otherwise you are just guessing from batch to batch, and other variables might make comparisons less helpful.

Also, your own tastes may evolve. When I started out I did the pure hearts blends and they were very good, but I will agree now, fairly one dimensional and thin.
These days I like to find some heads character, a little "spank" as Jimbo used to say, in the final blend. This is especially helpful if using whiskey in cocktails where other mixers will overwhelm a straight hearts cut.

If aging for a year or more, tails will convert to richer flavors much more than heads.
Early on I really liked the flavors of tails and had a hard time keeping them out. Now I've shifted my cuts more forward, keeping more late heads and less early tails.

I think this all applies to any spirit, and I don't think bourbon style whiskeys don't really have their own "cuts profile".
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
huxley
Novice

Post by huxley »

Thanks for the great advice, and the links. I read them all. I think the best approach like some have said is to start with multiple small jars and make different blends based on them. See which combination works for my taste. I like a smooth burn , so I’ll add some heads definitely and let it mellow out in the barrel. And yes I’ve notice my grain neutrals I make are mostly hearts and they are clean and one dimensional, good some sipping and a mix drink. But would make for a no character whisky.

I’m looking forward to placing some spirit in the barrel I bought.
Thanks again everyone.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Twisted Brick wrote:It was pointed out that the wider the cut, the longer the aging period, and the more complex the finished whiskey.
Looks like the above :roll: is true.

And I've met a "theory" here in Russia that it's worth to blend "headsy" suspects with the "tail-ish" ones separately from the core of the hearts. They say this blend to generate some hi-boiling compounds derived from both aldehydes and fusels so, you gotta still this blend once again. This could sorta save some yummies avoiding the trash... because the boiling temp of new compounds is higher than 100C. After all, you add the yummies to your hearts. Any idea about that?

Me, I prefer to oak jar-1 as necks and jar-2 as early pre-tails in my oven. After 3-5 heating-to-freezing cycles it turns out if they worth to be added to my hearts and in which ratios.

har druckit för mycket