Simpson’s coffee barley malt

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Simpson’s coffee barley malt

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

I wanted to make one more all barley malt whiskey before school let out for summer. My daughter going into high school next year and making whiskey is out of the question this summer with the kids hanging out at my house. I love all the kids but not if I’m brewing. :shock:
I’ve made chocolate rye in a bourbon, crisp pale malt bourbon, my own peat smoked malt in “scotch” , and I’ve even oak smoked a a bourbon. I’ve enjoyed all of them.
So I was at the brew shop a few hours ago and picked up a bag of Pilsner malt and some Simpson’s Coffee Malt. I’m going to use 5% of the coffee malt in my grain bill. The malt has a distinct coffee flavor and I hope it will bring something special to my whiskey. I’m wondering if any member here has used this specialty malt before? And if I might add anything to my recipe that might compliment the flavor.
Thanks you all.
JBC
JBC
Copper_clad
Novice

Re: Simpson’s coffee barley malt

Post by Copper_clad »

I have used something similar or it may be the same thing. I have used dark chocolate malt in a mash. It was 4lbs of dark malt with 3lbs of honey malt. The brew had a soft coffee finish as it was sipped. The lighter grain cut the flavor down. The mash had a deep dark color and smelled of coffee while it was working. I kept half clear and letting the other half gallon rest over French vanilla coffee beans. By the end of the week I should be able to cut that down to a good smooth drink.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Copper_clad wrote:I have used something similar or it may be the same thing. I have used dark chocolate malt in a mash. It was 4lbs of dark malt with 3lbs of honey malt. The brew had a soft coffee finish as it was sipped. The lighter grain cut the flavor down. The mash had a deep dark color and smelled of coffee while it was working. I kept half clear and letting the other half gallon rest over French vanilla coffee beans. By the end of the week I should be able to cut that down to a good smooth drink.
Interesting Copper: I’ve never used more than 10% in my grain bill for any dark malts. One week aging? In my opinion the dark malt whiskeys need lots of time on oak to mature. Like a year or two. I’ve thought of using coffee beans as a tincture but I already have the coffee malt.
How does your whiskey taste?
Thanks
JBC
JBC
Copper_clad
Novice

Post by Copper_clad »

The whiskey is pretty smooth by itself. Good proof and clear. Patiently waiting to try the aged over coffe beans.
nateboussad
Novice

Post by nateboussad »

I use Simpson's coffee malt in one of my stout recipes (that includes some other dark roasted grains), which is about 150L. The one time I sub'd in the Castle coffee (listed at 190L) the beer came out very harsh. It may have been coincidence or something else with that batch but I never used it again just in case. I'd consider going easy with it, probably not more than 1/2 lb and you may want to decrease the RB a little as you mention.
nateboussad
Novice

Post by nateboussad »

nateboussad wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:28 am I use Simpson's coffee malt in one of my stout recipes (that includes some other dark roasted grains), which is about 150L. The one time I sub'd in the Castle coffee (listed at 190L) the beer came out very harsh. It may have been coincidence or something else with that batch but I never used it again just in case. I'd consider going easy with it, probably not more than 1/2 lb and you may want to decrease the RB a little as you mention.
It may have been coincidence or something else with that batch but I never used it again just in case. I'd consider going easy with it, probably not more than 1/2 lb and you may want to decrease the RB a little as you mention.

Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.l.l
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Update: I did a 10 gal batch and striped that then the shite hit the fan. My wife broke her ankle, then my mom passed away. Life gets real sometimes. So I haven’t made another batch yet. But I will soon. My grain bill consists of 95% barley malt and 5% coffee malt. When I do my other batch and strip I should have 5gal of 40% low wines to do a spirit run. Then on to some once used wheat whiskey staves. We’ll see how it tastes in a year or so.
JBC
JBC
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

JellybeanCorncob wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:11 pm Update: My grain bill consists of 95% barley malt and 5% coffee malt. When I do my other batch and strip I should have 5gal of 40% low wines to do a spirit run. Then on to some once used wheat whiskey staves. We’ll see how it tastes in a year or so.
JBC
Hey JBC, was scrolling through old posts and found yours. I’m wondering how that 5% coffee malt worked out for you?
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey 8Ball

I think this “Java whiskey” was one of my better experiments. It’s so easy and has a distinct coffee flavor without being too overpowering. I have one more gallon that’s been aging for two and a half years. I just went out and sampled some. Wow. It’s nice. I’ll probably bottle it this spring.
I think 5% coffee malt is just right. If you went 10% or more it might be bitter. Also I only used one stick per gallon of once used Charred oak from a bourbon I made. I feel this gives the whiskey a light sweetness that compliments the coffee flavor, like sweetened coffee. It’s a whiskey by the fire on a cold night kind of a drink.
Thanks for asking 8Ball
Cheers
JBC
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

JellybeanCorncob wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:31 am Hey 8Ball

I think this “Java whiskey” was one of my better experiments. It’s so easy and has a distinct coffee flavor without being too overpowering. I have one more gallon that’s been aging for two and a half years. I just went out and sampled some. Wow. It’s nice. I’ll probably bottle it this spring.
I think 5% coffee malt is just right. If you went 10% or more it might be bitter. Also I only used one stick per gallon of once used Charred oak from a bourbon I made. I feel this gives the whiskey a light sweetness that compliments the coffee flavor, like sweetened coffee. It’s a whiskey by the fire on a cold night kind of a drink.
Thanks for asking 8Ball
Cheers
JBC,
Good to know. Glad it worked out nice. I did 2.5% chocolate malt in a recent bourbon.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”