Syrup of Ipecac

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Syrup of Ipecac

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Would this be considered Whiskey or just gross.
Now being sold at Trader Joe’s!
40382B54-194C-4EFF-8EB0-40AFA4F056E8.jpeg
JBC
JBC
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Syrup of Ipecac

Post by OtisT »

Interesting timing. I just read an article “advertisement” this morning about this spirit. It comes from a place I lived near at one time. I don’t know if I would like the taste (probably yes in a foo foo mixed drink) but I am interested to know how the peanut was infused into the whiskey. A couple came up with this, a bartender and culinary expert (unemployed cook?), and neither are distillers so the peanut is most likely added after the whiskey is aged.

If anyone tries this, please share with us how it tastes, is it sweetened, how strong is the smell or taste of peanut, etc. I went to their web site and there is no useful information there to be had.

Otis

PS. Nice title. I could definitely see this making someone hurl.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I’ve had a peanut infused vodka. The shit was foul. Cant see how oak would help it.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

I have not tried Screwball, but I am interested in trying it for a few reasons.

When I was in Scotland, I was fortunate enough to stop at the Blair Athol Distillery. Here, I sampled some damn fine scotch! The best one had great notes up front, but the finish was of a honey roasted peanut and it was FN amazing! I have been on a quest to make a mock version.

I can pretty much guarantee that they didn’t macerate after they distilled this, but I can’t quite figure out how to get the flavor profile without macerating.

In the process of trying to make a mock of this spirit, I have added a few different items to a few different runs. In one run, I added some honey and PB2 peanut butter powder to a batch of DWWG. It didn’t give me what I was looking for, but it was quite interesting. To be honest, I actually enjoyed it. I’ll bet that this is close to “Screwball”, but I’d need to report back to confirm.

If you like peanuts and you like whisky, chances are it’s not bad.

Like I said, I’ll need to follow up after a taste test.

Cheers,
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

"If you like peanuts and you like whisky, chances are it’s not bad. "

So....
Screwball is absolute SH!T!
Way too much sugar added! Tried to mix it with a number of other spirits and it made everything taste like crap!

Do not buy this. If you want a peanut flavored spirit, just add some PB2 Powder to your choice of spirit. If you like it sweet, then back-sweeten to your taste.

Save yourself from going into a diabetic coma and skip this one.

Cheers
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

It’s a hipster alternative to fireball that gets passed around the fire pit. On it own, it’s got an interesting roasted peanut aftertaste that lingers. Not as syrupy as fireball, but a little more sticky than Evan Williams cinnamon whiskey. I’ve yet to find anything you can mix it with that tastes good. Wife was hoping for pb&j shots or peanut butter cups. Can’t even mix it with corn likker for cracker jacks.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

This reminds me of a flavor after an ill-advised PBJ after a night drinking in college.

A really, really bad flavor....
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..