It's cuttin' time!

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antar3s
Novice

It's cuttin' time!

Post by Antar3s »

Just thought y'all might enjoy my picture of all my jars lined up ready to cut!

I have used this recipe before and am very familiar with my still which is the reason for the large collection volumes. i.e. During the run, I knew where my hearts were going to be so I collected the middle of the hearts in 1500ml jars.

This was a hybrid simple sour mash with some grain starch conversion. It was closely based on an Uncle Jesse's but removes some white sugar, substitutes other white sugar for molasses and I also use corn with the hot backset to get a little conversion.

I sour mashed 7 generations, stripped my ferments and finish-ran the low wines. Total collection on the finish run was about 6.55 gallons (25 Liters), then after cuts AND after diluting for aging I was left with about 4.28 gallons (16 Liters) of finished likker.

It is now aging on oak with about 90 square inches of surface area per gallon, at 63% ABV! :relaxed:
Like I said, I've used this recipe before and actually just bottled my first batch after it was on oak for 27 months. IT. WAS. DELICIOUS.
Anyway, Happy Shinin'!

Here's the 27mo old after bottling by the way..
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: It's cuttin' time!

Post by Yummyrum »

Happy days Antar3s :clap:
Thanks for sharing .
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

So you substituted molasses for some of the sugar?
Antar3s
Novice

Post by Antar3s »

rolling wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:57 pm So you substituted molasses for some of the sugar?
On many of the ferments yes, it wasn't much, maybe 2lbs of molasses in a 14gal ferment.. I'd have to look if I subbed it pound for pound for sugar but I'm sure this site has input on that. I did it to try and change the flavors. It is probably just my wishful thinking but I thought I was picking up a nicer, darker, sweet flavor towards the tails on the runs. Does it add anything noticeable on the finished product...? Idk.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

How big is your boiler? Just interested in reference to your take after cuts.

Sounds yummy!

Cheers!
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Antar3s
Novice

Post by Antar3s »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:12 pm How big is your boiler? Just interested in reference to your take after cuts.

Sounds yummy!

Cheers!
Jonny
Boiler is 15.5 gal. Short answer is hearts were ~57% of what was collected (3.75gal kept of 6.55gal collected).
However, the finish run beginning volume was 13.23gal of low wines; I collected ~90% of the etoh present which was the 6.55gal.
Taterpop
Novice

Post by Taterpop »

Very nice looking Whiskey! I am sure it is as good as it looks. :D