How do you char a barrel at home?

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Leslie Simpson
Novice

Post by Leslie Simpson »

Hi, need your tips
tnx
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: How do you char a barrel at home?

Post by NZChris »

I char mine in pieces and age in glass :D

What size barrel are you asking about?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Leslie Simpson wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:11 am...How do you char a barrel at home?
Carefully remove two of the bands from one end of the barrel and remove one of the heads. Then, you can use your propane torch to flame the inside (carefully) to increase the char. But, don’t overdo it, especially near the edges of the staves, or it might leak when reassembled.

When you’ve added the proper amount of charring, replace the head and slide the hoops back on the barrel. You may need a ratchet strap or two the help pull the staves back in place as you tap the hoops back into position.

Be sure to fill the barrel with water to swell the wood back so it stops leaking. I use hot water for this as it penetrates the wood better.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Leslie Simpson
Novice

Post by Leslie Simpson »

tnx a lot, I hope could write to ask more when will start :D
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:33 am
Leslie Simpson wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:11 am...How do you char a barrel at home?
Carefully remove two of the bands from one end of the barrel and remove one of the heads. Then, you can use your propane torch to flame the inside (carefully) to increase the char. But, don’t overdo it, especially near the edges of the staves, or it might leak when reassembled.

When you’ve added the proper amount of charring, replace the head and slide the hoops back on the barrel. You may need a ratchet strap or two the help pull the staves back in place as you tap the hoops back into position.

Be sure to fill the barrel with water to swell the wood back so it stops leaking. I use hot water for this as it penetrates the wood better.
ss
+1, this is exactly how a distillery here in Washington State does it. He likes the flavor profile he gets by using used red wine barrels for his whiskey. It is really important to be careful as you remove one end as to not damage the hoops. Getting back so it does not leak is important. Haven’t tried it but this might be difficult with small barrels.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:33 am Carefully remove two of the bands from one end of the barrel and remove one of the heads. Then, you can use your propane torch to flame the inside (carefully) to increase the char. But, don’t overdo it, especially near the edges of the staves, or it might leak when reassembled.
To minimized damage to staves edges while charring, temporally re-install the bands without the head, thereby causing the inside edges of the staves to be tight together..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Good idea Mars!
Leslie Simpson
Novice

Post by Leslie Simpson »

guys do you have a video link how to char?
try to find, have not yet

but found this interesting one - how people make barrel in general, magic process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-0iOWjwXJU
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You've got a big learning curve ahead of you, pulling a barrel apart and getting it back together again without leaks can be a frustrating job on its own.
As for charring I think you will find that if the barrel has been previously charred you will need to scrap the staves to remove most of the old char before you rechar.
In this country ( AU) there are several cooperages that I am aware of that have a re-charring service.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 am In this country ( AU) there are several cooperages that I am aware of that have a re-charring service.
It’s in the vicinity of around $80 aud . IIRC .
Personally it sounds like good value for money IMO

Guessing those fellas know exactly how long to suspend a pot of flaming stuff inside so their customers get what they want . ... repeat business is always a good thing .

Still ,I can see the desire to DIY where ever possible :thumbup: :.. after-all , thats what this forum is about .

Pretty sure Thecroweater had a topic around here about pulling a barrel apart and cleaning it up .

Sorry can’t add much useful .
Leslie Simpson
Novice

Post by Leslie Simpson »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 am You've got a big learning curve ahead of you, pulling a barrel apart and getting it back together again without leaks can be a frustrating job on its own.
As for charring I think you will find that if the barrel has been previously charred you will need to scrap the staves to remove most of the old char before you rechar.
In this country ( AU) there are several cooperages that I am aware of that have a re-charring service.
Thank you Bill
Bubbles2
Novice

Post by Bubbles2 »

FWIW, I read a lot. I have read about Coopers and charring. I have read that using fuel is not desired. Rather use no fuel starter for your fire. I would remove the top only, place a ventilated make shift unit or something to create a fire and inside the Barrel and let it Char. If you were going to remove Staves, I'd draw a circle around the outside to later match up the line to know your Staves are where they are accustomed to be 'married' to. Do not advise to disassemble. Hence the suggest prior, of remove Top and place makeshift grill inside. I am using sticks, so a small burn area with a grill is the approach. Luck
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

A large propane torch?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

seabass wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:20 pm A large propane torch?
You can get a propane flame thrower for about $20 at harbor freight. Sold as weed killers. I don’t char full barrels, but I do char barrel heads for my badmos. That flamethrower burns pretty clean and damn hot. Only 25 seconds for a full alligator char.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels