Tastes change

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PoppaW
Bootlegger

Tastes change

Post by PoppaW »

Now that I have run a few all grain batches through I noticed my old staples don’t taste the same. My 15 year old Glenmorangie has some smokyness I was oblivious to before. Some other flavours I pick out now that make the drink all that much better. Now a bottle of Makers 46 i have that I though was amazing before, now I am unsure. I have been ‘rediscovering’ my drinks now that I understand them more. I guess I will have to go back and taste them all over again.

Anyone else notice this?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Tastes change

Post by Expat »

I believe that the experience it's pretty common actually. Personally now that I know of the smell of head/tails they're impossible to ignore in commercial products; in some cases undrinkable.

Flip side of that coin. I REALLY appreciate the effort taken to create flavors, and the unbelievable consistency of their product.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by PoppaW »

Expat wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:58 pm
Flip side of that coin. I REALLY appreciate the effort taken to create flavors, and the unbelievable consistency of their product.
Ya I’m not consistent. But getting better. And your right about the effort to get the flavors. One day.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Yeah! We had a liquor store open here in the past year and they offered free tastings of many products. As i walked along sipping I couldn’t help commenting on “ oh! God too much heads..” or “ooh, deep in the tails that one.” It became obvious that commercial does not necessarily mean quality. Hand made wins, hands down. I left without a purchase.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Once you spend a little time in this hobby and learning about heads , tails and fores you never really look at commercial booze the same way again.
Your taste buds and sences are changed for ever more, things that you enjoyed drinking once can become very low on your list of drinking priorities.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've tasted hints of what I consider to be heads and tails and bagasse in commercial liquors that I class as high quality. I would not have recognised those flavors for what they are except for my past distilling experience.

In the amounts present in their finished products, those flavors are desirable and define their styles.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

It was a shock to me when I grabbed some scotch and tasted it. I found flavors I never knew were there before. Luckily I haven’t found one I was not liking but definitely have to re learn some drinks. And enjoy them for different reasons.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

A local meadery hereabouts makes a mead steeped with spent botanicals from a local distillery hereabouts. Holey buckets does it taste awful. All I taste is nasty spent distillate flavors. But most, not knowing what the flavor is, seem to like the idea of a gin flavored mead. Not a bad idea really to blend a proper gin with some mead, but that's not what this meadery is making.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Sounds horrible Detroit. :wtf:
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

DetroitDIY wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:49 pm A local meadery hereabouts makes a mead steeped with spent botanicals...
Ew. Just ew. No.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:15 pm Sounds horrible Detroit. :wtf:
Not sure if you mean the spent botanicals (which is horrible), or gin & mead. I'll try the latter some day and let you know. :wink: