Left over Low wines plus NGS?

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dmacnz
Novice

Left over Low wines plus NGS?

Post by dmacnz »

Random question,

Im about to run 50L of all grain low wines tomorrow to make some Whisky. A rather peaty low wine.

Once I have finished running my spirit run. Could I add some Neutral (95% abv corn) spirit back into the left over low wines and run it again? Would I still get something similar to the original spirit run? I would age it in a sperate barrel and possibly blend or just see what happens.

I am only thinking of this as the peaty "beer" smells so good at present, And I have some new excess Neutral which I am curious about!

Any thoughts on this?
Setsumi
Distiller

Re: Left over Low wines plus NGS?

Post by Setsumi »

from my experience you will get a lot of tails, right from the start if you use all of the pot ale.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
dmacnz
Novice

Post by dmacnz »

Setsumi wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:53 pm from my experience you will get a lot of tails, right from the start if you use all of the pot ale.
This makes sense! I wander if I throw it though a plated reflux. Add a little character to the neutral possibly with out the rubbish....
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm not sure I understand your problem or your question, plus your idea of 'some' and my idea of 'some' might be very different.

Dilution of flavored product with neutral is often a bad idea, regardless of if you are trying to stretch something to get more, or dilute a nasty flavor to insignificance.