Rye whiskey.malt or straight grain

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Rye whiskey.malt or straight grain

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Been at this for a few years.
But never done a high rye.
So i used george washingtons mash bill and gave her a try.
Stripping it now.
What do you all prefer
A malt rye whiskey or a rye grain
I used malt
65 percent rye malt
30 percent corn
5 percent barley malt
Basically,what can i expect from a rye malt whiskey vs a none malted
Is it worth making a high rye malt whiskey or is it basically the same flavor as unmalted
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rye whiskey.malt or straight grain

Post by 8Ball »

Dunno. Sounds good tho’. Go for it.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

8Ball wrote:Dunno. Sounds good tho’. Go for it.

[emoji463]
What 8ball said.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
tubbsy
Swill Maker

Post by tubbsy »

Malted Rye is softer than unmalted rye, with far less of the typical rye spice. Still makes a lovely whisky though.
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

Just done a 55 unmalted 45 corn. White i get a lot of pepper and mint/menthol. Not real sure what I think about it yet, don't think I ever had a high rye whiskey White (tho aged rye is my go to).
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

I recently did a high rye bourbon using 35% malted rye and a phenolic Belgian ale yeast.

It has a weird spicy woody aroma that's sort of like cinnamon. Not as much in the flavor but still a hint. I like it a lot. Even saved some to drink white and use as a mixer, it would probably be great in an old fashioned or a Manhattan.

It's white, just added the oak today. Not sure if that aroma/ flavor will survive the oak treatment but I guess I'll report back in a year or three.

It definitely does not have the typical mint/menthol/dill kind of thing that I very from typical rye whiskeys but maybe that'll show up in a year or three.

If yours comes out like mine did I would guess that you'll be very happy with it.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

tombombadil wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:49 pm I recently did a high rye bourbon using 35% malted rye and a phenolic Belgian ale yeast.

It has a weird spicy woody aroma that's sort of like cinnamon. Not as much in the flavor but still a hint. I like it a lot. Even saved some to drink white and use as a mixer, it would probably be great in an old fashioned or a Manhattan.

It's white, just added the oak today. Not sure if that aroma/ flavor will survive the oak treatment but I guess I'll report back in a year or three.

It definitely does not have the typical mint/menthol/dill kind of thing that I very from typical rye whiskeys but maybe that'll show up in a year or three.

If yours comes out like mine did I would guess that you'll be very happy with it.
I did a george washington rye
65% malted rye
It is extremely drinkable
I like it white.
But the 2 gallons i got went on oak at 65% abv
If it gets better it'll be a good drop.
My next rye is gonna be 100 malted rye.
I wll be mashing 90Lbs of rye.
Malted at home.
Can maltvand dry about 40 lbs a week
Am about half done
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed