Wondering about wheat

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Wondering about wheat

Post by Justinthunder »

After just doing my first rye mash I just found out that I have a local malting company that’s close to me. They specialize in barley but are also branching out into malted wheats and malted oats. Is malted wheat something I should be adding in like a rye? or replace my corn with the wheat? I am trying to do a lot of experimenting of different grains, the company I buy my barley from now just has 1 kind, I am excited as this new company has 4 different types, I have heard wheat can add a nice sweetness so I’d love to try that out.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Re: Wondering about wheat

Post by PoppaW »

My 100% white malted wheat was very nice to sip on. I only made a small run to try but will do it again and will try red wheat also. I add some wheat into a bunch of my runs now. Not sure if it replaces corn or not but it should go with it well.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Justinthunder wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:38 pm Is malted wheat something I should be adding in like a rye?
In a word, yeah! Depending on what you like to drink, barley, wheat, rye and oat malt all contribute their own unique flavors. The combinations are limitless, as are the options to mash 100% of any of those grains. Right now I have a list of mash-bills-to-make that include 100% wheat, rye and rice, and too many combinations to list. I would die for a local malting house that offered oat malt.

Check out grain bill lists like this one so you can sample commercial expressions you might enjoy and subsequently copy.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Man, what I'd give for a local malt house that specializes in locally grown grains.
I'd make so many different Washington state spirits.
Heck I can't even find a LHBS that carried malted red wheat. Just flaked. :?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

They have Munich, pale, Vienna and Pilsner malted barleys available and I am not sure what wheat or oats as the lady told me they are just getting into that and expect their first shipment later this month. I am super excited to try all these wonderful malts and flavors and combinations, I live in a farming community so all these grains are all locally grown and malted. I may even make some single malts and let them age 10+ years..... if I don’t dip into them sooner lol
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Justinthunder wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:59 pm They have Munich, pale, Vienna and Pilsner malted barleys available and I am not sure what wheat or oats as the lady told me they are just getting into that and expect their first shipment later this month. I am super excited to try all these wonderful malts and flavors and combinations, I live in a farming community so all these grains are all locally grown and malted. I may even make some single malts and let them age 10+ years..... if I don’t dip into them sooner lol
Yes, we are well set up here in the Prairies for finding local malts. I would like to get some time to take a tour of some of the facilities close by.

Check out Red Shed Malting.....their Penhold is their first wheat malt, a red wheat. Not sure what else they might end up supplying in the future. :mrgreen:

http://www.redshedmalting.ca/products/
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Did someone say wheat? I love me some wheat. There are basically 4 types of wheat. You have both red and white. And soft and hard. Soft is a bigger grain where the hard is smaller. Hard is usually what they use for animal feed. Where soft is what is used for human feed. LoL. There is also winter wheat. It’s just one of the other wheats grown in part of winter. It is usually a milder sweeter flavor. Red hard wheat is probably the spiciest. Red soft is close also. Much like a rye. Maybe not that spicy though. And can be used in plaCe of say a rye in a grain bill.

Wheat also has one of the highest DPs of the grains. So if you wanted to you could use less of it with more corn and get good conversion

My favorite is soft white. My favorite all time run was a all wheat all grain nothing but soft white. And damn did it make a good drop.

I always wanted to do an all grain wheated bourbon. I actually malted my own wheat in preparing to make some. Before we moved off grid and I no longer had the ability to make anymore.

But then again I’ve been away for a while. So I may not remember things completely right. All I know is wheat is my favorite grain for distilling. Try it out I think you would like it. It gooders
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

I have been making a corn and barley mash the past 5 months, the batch I have now is my first rye, honestly my eyes have been opened lol so many choices now, wheat, oats, barley, rye. I can’t wait for summer so I can move my still from my garage to my yard again. I will be experimenting up a storm with all these different grains. I’m gonna have to stock up on demi johns to house all this liquor.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I’ve had good results in malting my own winter red wheat that I obtained from the local feed store. Sun dried, smoked, and kilned to create an amber malt wheat. Does a good job in making a smooth bourbon for me.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:38 pm Man, what I'd give for a local malt house that specializes in locally grown grains.
I've bought some grains from Adventures in Homebrewing. They range anywhere from $1.50-$2.50/lb, free milling, & offer free shipping on orders over $50. That said, if you go to the 55 lb bags, standard shipping applies (~$35 last I checked). Depending on what you buy, I think it's cheaper in bulk, but not by much.

Anyone else out there have a good online grain supplier??? I found one about 45 min from my house, but I haven't bought anything there yet.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

rubberduck71 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:25 pm
Anyone else out there have a good online grain supplier??? I found one about 45 min from my house, but I haven't bought anything there yet.
Don't know if you are interested in premium raw grains, but I just submitted an order to these guys for 50lbs each of soft white wheat berries ($27) and organic rye berries ($32), both destined to be malted. I've used them previously for pizza flour and other stuff, but first time for grains. +$50 orders ship free. The only thing is you gotta go meet their truck with your and 20 other guys' orders. They have truck drops all over the nation.

https://www.azurestandard.com/drop-point-locator?q=PA
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:38 pm Man, what I'd give for a local malt house that specializes in locally grown grains.
Have you considered malting grains yourself? I have been doing some research and the process does not seem that hard. The challenge is how to do it at scale if you do big batch fermenting. There is a good blog/youtube channel called "Brewing Beer The Hardway" that does a good job of outlining the process. And he has a blog/video on a DIY Kiln that allows you to do about a 40lbs at once.

I am lucky enough to live in area that I can get just about any type of grain for $8-$15 for 50lbs bag. This is SEED grade and not FEED grade which is what you want for malting. An hour away is a Malt House that sells to direct at $1lb. They guy is a young 3rd generation farmer who does the malting of the grains he grows himself primarily. They are only doing base malts (barley) right now. But he reports he may be doing other grains and specialty malts soon.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

WithOrWithoutU2 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Have you considered malting grains yourself? I have been doing some research and the process does not seem that hard. The challenge is how to do it at scale if you do big batch fermenting. There is a good blog/youtube channel called "Brewing Beer The Hardway" that does a good job of outlining the process. And he has a blog/video on a DIY Kiln that allows you to do about a 40lbs at once.

I am lucky enough to live in area that I can get just about any type of grain for $8-$15 for 50lbs bag. This is SEED grade and not FEED grade which is what you want for malting. An hour away is a Malt House that sells to direct at $1lb. They guy is a young 3rd generation farmer who does the malting of the grains he grows himself primarily. They are only doing base malts (barley) right now. But he reports he may be doing other grains and specialty malts soon.
I'm considering it. Space is the primary issue. Then time. Maybe after I retire.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

With said, '... This is SEED grade...'

Seed grain (which in this case may or may not be SEED GRADE grain) is treated with poisons to protect it from grubs and such.

Be sure what you get is safe.

Geoff
The Baker
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Prairiepiss wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:17 pm Did someone say wheat? I love me some wheat. There are basically 4 types of wheat. You have both red and white. And soft and hard. Soft is a bigger grain where the hard is smaller. Hard is usually what they use for animal feed. Where soft is what is used for human feed. LoL. There is also winter wheat. It’s just one of the other wheats grown in part of winter. It is usually a milder sweeter flavor. Red hard wheat is probably the spiciest. Red soft is close also. Much like a rye. Maybe not that spicy though. And can be used in plaCe of say a rye in a grain bill.

Wheat also has one of the highest DPs of the grains. So if you wanted to you could use less of it with more corn and get good conversion

My favorite is soft white. My favorite all time run was a all wheat all grain nothing but soft white. And damn did it make a good drop.

I always wanted to do an all grain wheated bourbon. I actually malted my own wheat in preparing to make some. Before we moved off grid and I no longer had the ability to make anymore.

But then again I’ve been away for a while. So I may not remember things completely right. All I know is wheat is my favorite grain for distilling. Try it out I think you would like it. It gooders
This is a perfect freakin' post on wheat. 100% on the money and I agree! Wheat is my favorite - I can't wait to do an all grain wheat vodka. Don't know the mix yet, but you can make dozens of different variations of recipes, all 100% wheat.

Damn, missed you around PP. Great post!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Some of the big dogs like Buffalo Trace substitute wheat for the rye in their mash bills for some high end wheated bourbon. Just saying. Worth a try for sure.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Just to chime on wheat -
My favorite TnT is Jimbo's EASY Wheated Bourbon & Gumballhead

From the beginning it has been TO ME the easiest process to follow.

Also, if malted wheat is not available locally (not here), I found that wheat is one of the easiest grains to malt.
MUCH easier than corn.

I don't do it like Scarecrow but here's a tutorial for when things warm up.

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Google says, 'Bread wheat in Australia is typically white and does not have the red colour, which typifies most bread wheat grown in the northern hemisphere.'

Geoff
The Baker