aging pure corn ethyl alcohol

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pablosky
Novice

aging pure corn ethyl alcohol

Post by pablosky »

Hello everyone!!
Has anyone tried aging roasted oak chips (not JD) in pure corn ethyl alcohol at 65/70% vol ??
I'm thinking of trying that ...
Thanks for the feedback
time and tide neither stop nor wait
tubbsy
Swill Maker

Re: aging pure corn ethyl alcohol

Post by tubbsy »

Do you mean GNS (grain Neutral Spirit) diluted to 65% then aged? It'd work fine, but might mostly taste of oak.

BTW, you're not aging the wood, you're aging the spirit.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I haven't yet, but promised a neighbor (who does all the CNC machining for my stills) I would pot still him a pure corn whiskey. I plan on using 95% corn and 5% 2-row, but am currently sourcing whole corn which I will malt and kiln at home. I will bottle a percentage of the clear newmake and age the balance for a time in a Balcones barrel for ...who knows?

Whatever you decide for a grain bill and aging regime it will be all yours. Here's a list of what others have done with pure corn:

http://www.masterofmalt.com/country-sty ... n-whiskey/
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

What makes Mellow Corn so yellow?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Bee wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:00 am What makes Mellow Corn so yellow?
MELLOW CORN
Mellow Corn is produced in accordance with a unique set of regulations that define Straight Corn Whiskey. It is distilled from a mash of at least 80 percent corn and aged for four years in a once-used Bourbon barrel. Compared to the deep amber color created by the newly charred oak barrels in the production of our other Bourbons and American Whiskeys, the result of the used barrel is a lighter, straw-colored spirit. Heaven Hill Distillery is one of the few remaining producers of this unique whiskey.

Proof: 100 Proof
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer