all rye malt, triple distilled :: any opinion is welcome

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: all rye malt, triple distilled :: any opinion is welcome

Post by OtisT »

I don’t think there is a right answer to that question on the right amount of malt to use. Sorry I can’t help with the ratio. I do know the best rye I have tried was 100% unmalted, which is why my first rye will be that style. Depending on how that batch turns out, I may add some malt to the second batch. I’ll be sure to share the results on HD.

Can’t wait to hear how your multi generation process impacts the spirit over multiple runs.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

OtisT wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:54 am I do know the best rye I have tried was 100% unmalted, which is why my first rye will be that style.
Interesting. "Hot" / hi temp. enzymes? :)

OtisT wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:54 am Can’t wait to hear how your multi generation process impacts the spirit over multiple runs.
Well, the low wines were like greasy fat or fatty grease... coated with a thick layer of oils. I added 1.5 tbsp. of charcoal per liter and let it all sit for 2 nights. Was stirring it sometimes, yeah. Need to say the grease was absorbed in no time. And over the night the low wines started smelling better. Not so "imperative bread"... and some fruitiness and "flowerness" added (were those just aldehydes created by the coal?). Anyways, the feints of the 2nd run are less poisonous for my nose than before (Gen.-1).

The third run (high wines to the final product). Here I made a stupid thing, imo. I started running the high wines (plus "highest" feints from Gen.-1) without proofing them down (i.e. around 60% AbV). So, I had some backgrounding "might be fusels" all my run long. The missus sed it's anyway better than my Gen.-1. But I'm about to re-run it now.

---

Upd.: proofed down to about 30%AbV. Started getting the hearts at 78% and finished at 65%. And it's all the better: "dustiness" turned to "nutty".

har druckit för mycket
brewmaster2014
Bootlegger

Post by brewmaster2014 »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:41 am Hey folks. My head is pregnant with that idea for at least since October.

I have a lot of rye malt, white (unfermented), milled as fine as flour. And would like to get some fine rye whiskey (or bread wine if you don't mind). To be consumed as white dawg. Tasty but not poisonous. Fragrant but not overspiced.

I want to potstill it thrice. And to use a copper helmet for the 2nd and 3rd distillations. The total schedule - as below (criticism required):
triple rye malt project.png
The second thing... it will try go scorching. I have neither steam boiler nor thumper. So, I want to ferment it as wort, not mash. The idea is to drop all the rye malt at 68C (155F) to my poor Grainfather's guts and to filter it through the fair amount of rice husks / no further boiling. Souring prevention is my problem. Generally, is it worth making that "beer" to get rid of burnt stuff? The stripping run is planned on induction, not heating elements.

I did last year ,mashed and fermented on the grain,I fermented it in the mash tun ,so.ill be easier to separate it after.when it finished I let it go for 1 more week so it got sour and funky.distilled it ,and man ,let me tell you,tje freaking flavor! Nothing like I ever seen before,beautiful flower honey,with spiciness,,just beautiful. Give it a shot ,but IMO run only 2 times.
And don't worry,in tje begging when mashing,rye is goopy, but once is fermented,all should be good.i even added few handful of the grains in to the still.good luck
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

brewmaster2014 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:04 pm I did last year ,mashed and fermented on the grain,I fermented it in the mash tun ,so.ill be easier to separate it after.when it finished I let it go for 1 more week so it got sour and funky.distilled it ,and man ,let me tell you,tje freaking flavor! Nothing like I ever seen before,beautiful flower honey,with spiciness,,just beautiful. Give it a shot ,but IMO run only 2 times.
And don't worry,in tje begging when mashing,rye is goopy, but once is fermented,all should be good.i even added few handful of the grains in to the still.good luck
Hey / thanx for your entry. I have similar impressions about my Generation-1. But since I added the Feints-1 into my Gen.-2 it all became too fusel-ish for white drinking. Rye is not barley and now I clearly understand those stillers who run it on the flutes and nuthin but fluites.

Well, my Gen.-2 got its oak chips. But nontheless I don't give up with the pot idea so far... thinking out of it. The best seemed idea that I have now is proofing any feint down to 20% for meticulous charcoaling it.

And one more thing I got is the lower ABV of the ferment - the better. I'd say, 1.5 pound per 1 gallon is OK (or 3kg per 20 liters). It's less than 5.5% AbV. The bigger ratio makes fusels to grow as exponential.

har druckit för mycket