charred or not

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Magic
Novice

charred or not

Post by Magic »

so iv'e ran 4 generations of ujssm in a spirit run i ended up with 3 and 1/2 quarts of 160 proof and 4 quarts of faints, i cut hard cause it was my first time and made sure i got all hearts. its really good after airing out for three days cut to 90 proof. drank half quart but want to age other 3 quarts. do i age at 160 proof and should i use charred or un charred white oak? and chips or sticks? sorry for newbie questions
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: charred or not

Post by Saltbush Bill »

62-65% abv is a good way to go for oaking, 124-130 proof.
I'd go for the charred sticks if it were mine, different people will have different opinions.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I leave my narrow cut white, especially if there’s not much in the drinks cabinet, then get on with making wide cut product for aging.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

I've had great luck with corn/barley whiskey using 1x1x6" sticks. Toasted evenly all the way through (400F for about 2.5 hours) and then a heavy char. 2 sticks to a gallon jug for long term aging or 1 stick to a quart jar for a few months. Never tried chips.
Plain ole pot rig.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you are having a hard time deciding what you want to do, char only two sides for one of your experiments.