used Kveik Voss and dang

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

VOLRATH86
Novice

used Kveik Voss and dang

Post by VOLRATH86 »

soooooo, long story shot I did an all grain with cherry smoked malted barley and some chocolate malted rye and I used Kveik yeast which some would argue was dumb as hell but I just kept hearing about it so here goes. Basically the wash got a lacto infection around day 7 (either bad sanitation or something in the Kveik voss) and smelled like a wheat beer on steroids, I skimmed the infection and did a 1.5 run on 9 gal of mash 4.5 gal at a time. This stuff is fruity and sweet and Smokey all at the same, I honestly don't know whether to age it of just white dog it because of how good it tastes but has anyone had this kind of outcome with AG and Kveik?
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: used Kveik Voss and dang

Post by subbrew »

no experience with something similar but question as it sounds great. What was the entire grain bill?
VOLRATH86
Novice

Post by VOLRATH86 »

grainbill as follows:18lbs cherry smoked malted barley, 5lbs chocolate malted rye...... Im wondering if the specialty malt just latched onto those sour beer flavors and the esters came out sweet.... went deep in the tails and found some smoke and used that for the blend....
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Sorry I don't have any anecdotal experience with the OP's exact situation.
But I will say that I have cultivated ( accidentally) some pretty unusual infected rum beer results.
One in particular that was very twangy on as far as a "one and done" on a 4 plate column is concerned.
I was disheartened.
But ran it again because I didn't want to loose the ethanol.
The second run changed everything.
It was by far the best Spirit I have ever made.
I have since never been able to replicate that result.

I deserve the frustration because I am too lazy and not very good about prioritizing note taking.
On the otherhand being lazy makes every batch like a suprise on Christmas morning.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
brewmaster2014
Bootlegger

Post by brewmaster2014 »

VOLRATH86 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:07 pm soooooo, long story shot I did an all grain with cherry smoked malted barley and some chocolate malted rye and I used Kveik yeast which some would argue was dumb as hell but I just kept hearing about it so here goes. Basically the wash got a lacto infection around day 7 (either bad sanitation or something in the Kveik voss) and smelled like a wheat beer on steroids, I skimmed the infection and did a 1.5 run on 9 gal of mash 4.5 gal at a time. This stuff is fruity and sweet and Smokey all at the same, I honestly don't know whether to age it of just white dog it because of how good it tastes but has anyone had this kind of outcome with AG and Kveik?

I can tell you when I made 100% rye whiskey ,fermented on the grain ,and than let it go for 1 more week and it sour it,after I distill.it ,this stuff was absolutely heaven! Smell of flower homey spice and lily,I think people are really too ferak out about lacto fermentation,and its a shame! Age it half and see .next batch I will ferment with bretanomyces and some Belgian yeastbecause why the hell not!