Best practicies for grass mowing

Moderator: Site Moderator

kaziel
Swill Maker

Best practicies for grass mowing

Post by kaziel »

Hello dears. This year I've boght some land to start to build a house. I will bo owning around 3k m2 (square meters) of area. Most of it will be covered by grass. Currently this was a pasture - so soil isn't very dense. Whole terrain as a small slope (around 40-50cm per 60m). I'm wondering what type of mower to use. I was thinking about bar mower but I would appreciate any good practice about grass to share. There are no trees neither bushes on the are yet. Thank you.
Vodka consumed wisely is harmless even in large amounts.
My all stainless 2" VM still
My all stainless 2" pot still with Dimroth condenser SS Pot Still
My malt mill - two roller - DIY
My keggle - mash/filter tun
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Best practicies for grass mowing

Post by stillanoob »

There are a lot of better places to get information than here. But...

Don't let the grass get too tall before mowing. It grows better if you are cutting the tips of the blades rather than the stalks. Use a mulching type of mower so that the clippings are small and compost directly. Don't mow when it is wet, the clippings will clump. Look up ways to de-thatch and aerate.

And get your zen on about mowing. I like the smell of exhaust and grass...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

How about one of these “bad boys”?
Bad Boy
Bad Boy
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

3000 square meters is like, 3/4 of an acre. Maybe a mower that you can sit down on? Be sure to order some kind of canopy (umbrella?) for shade, a drink holder or two, and an external drive belt to hook up to a corn grinder. Just sayin'. :D
Husky Mower.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Scythe!

If the plot is clear of rocks, while using a scythe will take a little longer than a ride-on on mower, it'll be much more pleasant time.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

by my math 3000 sq.m. is close to 2 acres. roughly the same as I mow, I finally bought a kubota bx model used

about 11 years ago and soon realized that I should have taken that step 10 years earlier. center deck, brush hog

front end loader, and tiller. I spent 10 years dicking around with various commercial mowers between 5' and 8'

and consider that time wasted. before the kubota the time differential between the pre kubota machines was

4-7 hours. the kubota's slowest time with a half meter of standing grass was 2.5 hours fastest was 59 minuets

with 6" height average time now is 1.5 hours. those are all center deck times. I it gave me a lot more hours of

play way less hours of mowing. the extra tools are to me are all time savers. bottom line is how do you want

to spend your time.

edit to add 42" john deer home owner style mower took 8 hours that's why I posted about commercial mowers
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I got 5 acre block . The house yard is about 1 acre of that and I do it on a ride on .
The rest is paddock . I can do those with the Ride on but it literally takes me several day . But once that grass gets over a 2’ high , forget it .I then have to pay someone to come and slash it . I have basically flogged two ride ons to death over the last 20 years .

A few months ago I bought an old Massey Ferguson( 1962 model) and a 4’ slasher . Can do the whole lot in less than a day , even when its so tall Its above the tractor . When its low , even quicker.

Like Cob , in hindsight , I should have got one years ago .

You can turn a paddock into a golf coarse if you keep mowing it . But prepare to keep mowing it .

Twisted , not such a silly thought about the corn grinder . I’m already thinking about getting a PTO generator I can use to run Still off tractor . Diesel is cheaper than Electricity and gas around here . :thumbup:
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

I mow 1.5 acres every week. It's important to have sharp blades. Also, over time, you will need to treat for weeds and feed the lawn if you want it to thrive.
There's no place like home
Mr Sippy
Bootlegger

Post by Mr Sippy »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:08 am 3000 square meters is like, 3/4 of an acre.

Correct.
Our lot is one acre. My 65 yr old wife mows the 3/4 acre (flat / gentle grade) with a self propelled 6hp push mower. We've estimated it's the equivalent of a 5 mile walk. If you're physical, it's a great 2 for 1 endeavor.
Be Kind, Tell the Truth, Sip Good Whiskey
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

+1 on the physical activity benefit. Add in headphones or earbuds + a delta-8 vape and it’s an enjoyable walk in the park before the heat of the day. I keep several compost piles filled with grass clippings and leaves around the yard that i’ll spread out and start in a different spot every couple seasons. Not hard to dress it up and they take spent mash as well.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Mr Sippy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:04 am
Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:08 am 3000 square meters is like, 3/4 of an acre.

Correct.
Our lot is one acre. My 65 yr old wife mows the 3/4 acre (flat / gentle grade) with a self propelled 6hp push mower. We've estimated it's the equivalent of a 5 mile walk. If you're physical, it's a great 2 for 1 endeavor.
brain fart on my part; square meters NOT cubic meters. :crazy:
be water my friend
kaziel
Swill Maker

Post by kaziel »

Thank you all very much for replies.
NormandieStill wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:21 am Scythe!

If the plot is clear of rocks, while using a scythe will take a little longer than a ride-on on mower, it'll be much more pleasant time.
Judging from the pictures on the internet that's what I've ment by typing bar mower. Actually I can barrow one and check if it can do the job.
stillanoob wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:51 am Don't mow when it is wet, the clippings will clump. Look up ways to de-thatch and aerate.
Noted thanks.
I was also thinknig about somthing like Kubota or Yanmar but this much over budget for now. For sure in future I want to buy something like that especially that I can add tiller or snowblower to it.
Vodka consumed wisely is harmless even in large amounts.
My all stainless 2" VM still
My all stainless 2" pot still with Dimroth condenser SS Pot Still
My malt mill - two roller - DIY
My keggle - mash/filter tun
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

kaziel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 pmJudging from the pictures on the internet that's what I've ment by typing bar mower. Actually I can barrow one and check if it can do the job.
Scythe (wikipedia)

Our ground grows more rocks than grass, and my much abused scythe tends to be used for clearing nettles, but it's less grief to get out than the strimmer and a lot less noisy.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers