who likes to shoot?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Prairiepiss
retired

Re: who likes to shoot?

Post by Prairiepiss »

Here is two of
F3DEED29-0809-4F5E-9BF7-C223FD74E1A4.jpeg
my competition guns. 9mm PCC I built. And a Canik TP9SFX with a few bells and whistles added. Along with my custom made holster and mag holsters on my belt rig.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Picked up a war issued M1 Garand and absolutely love it. Just had them build me a 27A1 Thompson that is so fantastic to shoot you never want to quit. Then suddenly you out of 45 ball. Now looking for a war issued M1 carbine...tough to find. Our outdoor range is a hour away but 10 min from that is a town with 4 world famous BBQ houses, sooooo... :wink:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Glock hater here, recently converted. I'm probably preaching to the choir with a lot of folks, but if you haven't given Glock a fair chance, you should.
My whole life I've been a 1911 guy and also like Smith and Ruger revolvers. Any gun of mine had to be made of only steel and wood, and I still love those that are. A few years ago a guy I work with introduced me to his Glock 23 gen 4. About 3 years later... I own 3 different Glocks.
I always had some unfounded dislike for them. Maybe because of all the plastic, maybe because they don't have 100 years behind them, I don't know. But the dang things feel good in the hand, point naturally (for me), and they run. The AK of pistols, they just run.
Didn't have the same experience with other polymers like the XD and M&P. Anyway, enough rambling. If you haven't given them a try you should.
Plain ole pot rig.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Glockhater, When i first joined my (2d) department i had a Glock 19. Said i couldn’t carry it as a concealed piece, too dangerous; had to carry a Sig or something, so i sold it. Duty gun was a 92F. Years later they tell me i hadda turn in the 92F ‘cause they’re issuing everyone a Glock for duty carry. I flat refused outta spite. 2 years later, the Commissioner hizself ordered me drop the Beretta and pick up a Glock or seek gainful employment elsewhere. We were allowed to buy the old 92’s for $250. I asked the armorer to rebuild mine, as a favor to a friend and he said he had some unissued ones to use as parts. When i went to the shop to pick mine up, he had subbed it for a brand new, never fired Beretta Commander, still wrapped. Score! When i retired they flat out gave me the Glock.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Yonder wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:31 pm as a favor to a friend
That's a very nice favor and a great friend!
I really wanted to get a 19 too after falling in love with the 23, but ended up just getting a 9mm barrel for the 23 to swap in and out.
More money spent on guns means less money to spend on copper, gotta manage that "hobby account".
Plain ole pot rig.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Amongst my many guns, I also have a Glock 19. Early on, I too was skeptical of those "plastic guns," but I found it to be well made and reliable. The only thing I didn't care for on my older Gen 3 model were the molded-in finger reliefs on the front of the grip. They just didn't line up right with my fat fingers, so I got out my trusty Dremel tool and ground the finger reliefs flat to the front, similar to the configuration of the newer Gen 5's. Of course I did that long before they got smart and dropped the finger reliefs off the newer ones. I also "bobbed" the back end of the grip down a bit as well just below the back of the slide. It carries and actually conceals much better getting rid of the excessively large beavertail back there. And without the finger grooves, it handles much better as well.

That said, I still generally prefer a good old reliable "wheel gun" for concealed carry, (EDC.) Usually it's my 2.5" Bbl Charter Arms Bulldog XL, chambered in .45 Colt, (often incorrectly referred to as "Long Colt," not the .45 ACP.) with Underwood Ammo's excellent defense loads, or else my Ruger SP-100 five shot .357 Mag.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/

Unfortunately, due to high demand for ammo, (pretty much everywhere nowadays,) they are currently out of stock for most flavors.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

incorrectly referred to as "Long Colt," not the .45 ACP.)
Damn, son, I hunt deer with a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt and you sayin’ it’s your concealed carry? Back when, I knew a UC that infiltrated the Angels for a while, that carried a 1911 as a boot gun. Big feller. That wasn’t you was it?
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Certainly not the Blackhawk, which is a nice piece as well, but my "5-hole" Charter Arms Bulldog XL in .45 Colt is actually lighter in weight, even when loaded, than my Ruger SP-100 5-holer in .357 Mag. They are both well built and pack a punch, but fully controllable. Especially with the "rubberized" Crimson Trace laser grips that I have on over a half dozen of my EDC's.
I like big bores, and I cannot lie...
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Euphoria wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:23 am I like big bores, and I cannot lie...
or as somebody once said, "I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46" Nothing wrong with that!
Plain ole pot rig.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Just carry a purse and you can tote around a Desert Eagle 50AE comfortably. :sarcasm:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

corene1 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:13 am Just carry a purse and you can tote around a Desert Eagle 50AE comfortably. :sarcasm:
Nice carry...the wife carries a glock 23 in her purse I keep a glock 19 with 2 30s n the car just in case zombies break out lol
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I've carried a sig 220 everyday for years. When I have to get dressed up I usually carry a SW M&P shield in .40, since its lighter on the dress belt.
Glocks dont fit my hands right. Good weapon system but i just havent got the muscle memory for quick target acquisition with the glock grip angle.
SF
PS: I just cant always match a purse to my work boots.[emoji6] So I guess I'll stick with an in the pants hybrid holster.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I carry in my lower back with one in the pipe always safety off never know with all the gangbangers and tweakers I also keep a 380 in my lunchbox
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

240.JPG
some recreational pistol shooting
There's no place like home
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

I keep a .40 in my waistband and shoot with my kids every once in awhile
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
rootbeers
Novice

Post by rootbeers »

I like shooting, only here in the UK the journey to an FAC cert is long.

Something that I now have to take as my membership lapsed and new signups (inc old members) have to complete a Range Officers test and I guess that is to ensure that there is a trained RO even if they are the shooter...

Wish me luck.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Rootbeers,
Sounds like a pain in the a$$. Your post made me curious so I looked up some info on that process in the UK. It seems pretty similar to the NFA process here in the US to own suppressors or full auto firearms. Both have a fee or tax stamp, interview with chief LEO, reason for purchase, identification requirements. But hey, at least there is an avenue for legal ownership. For now.

Edit: Good luck on the exam!
Plain ole pot rig.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

River Rat wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:31 pm Rootbeers,
Sounds like a pain in the a$$. Your post made me curious so I looked up some info on that process in the UK. It seems pretty similar to the NFA process here in the US to own suppressors or full auto firearms. Both have a fee or tax stamp, interview with chief LEO, reason for purchase, identification requirements. But hey, at least there is an avenue for legal ownership. For now.

Interview with the chief? I have never had to interview for NFA items. Just fill out the forms, pay the tax, and wait. Once approved, go to my FFL and pick up my NFA items. The longest wait I've had to endure was 11.5 months for a suppressor.
I did have to have the chief of police sign off on my CPL, but renewals are just a walk in, pay the renewal fee, fill out the form and wait for the background check to clear. Return in 2 weeks to pick up the renewal CPL.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Deplorable wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:51 pm
River Rat wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:31 pm Rootbeers,

Interview with the chief? I have never had to interview for NFA items. Just fill out the forms, pay the tax, and wait. Once approved, go to my FFL and pick up my NFA items. The longest wait I've had to endure was 11.5 months for a suppressor.
I did have to have the chief of police sign off on my CPL, but renewals are just a walk in, pay the renewal fee, fill out the form and wait for the background check to clear. Return in 2 weeks to pick up the renewal CPL.
I always filed mine on a F4 Individual, requiring the signature of the sheriff. I suppose each sheriff has their own way of doing things but ours meets with everybody personally before signing. I would probably do the same in his position just to make sure the person is not a total dipshit. I'm guessing you went with a trust? Looking back I wish I would have created a trust.
Plain ole pot rig.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Yes. I did a NFA trust. Before the new rule went into affect. That's why it took 12 months, I was on the bow wave of submittals leading up to the new rules. In a couple of years, I'll be moving to a new state, It will be interesting to see what hoops I have to jump through moving with NFA items.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

I work outdoors building luxury homes in the rural areas the crew I work on always bring our guns at the beginning of the job we are going to build a log cabin today so there's a 45 a 40 and two ar 15. Boss says it's nice to shoot .boosts crew morale
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Deplorable wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:57 pm Yes. I did a NFA trust. Before the new rule went into affect. That's why it took 12 months, I was on the bow wave of submittals leading up to the new rules...
Ditto. Except I was just behind the bow wave and my stamp took nearly 15 months!

But definitely worth the hassle and wait. It’s a “blast” to shoot my AR-9 with the can...
especially shooting steel targets......click —> TING!

I just wish ammo wasn’t so expensive and hard to find.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

The ammo situation really is a shame. It takes the fun out of shooting for me. I have plenty stored away but can't bring myself to "waste" ammo on plinking right now.
Plain ole pot rig.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Yeah, I just looked at an email from PSA, $40 for 20 rounds of ballistic tip 223. I have 500 rounds of Hornady Vmax ballistic tip varmint rounds in an ammo can I paid $250 for.

With all my 5.56 and 7.62, I'm currently sitting on a small fortune at today's ammo prices.
I'll keep stilling until the market comes around again.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

The ammo situation is bad, unless you are shooting 50BMG.
It's available at less than $3.00 per round and you can buy hundreds with free shipping.

I got a Zastava M91 sniper rifle that is reminiscent of the Dragunov and took it to Idaho last week to shoot at a nice range.
Had a great time.
https://atlanticfirearms.com/zastava-arms-m91-rifle

Today I pulled the trigger on a ULR .50 BMG
It will be 10 to 12 weeks before I get it but that will still be summer so I don't mind too much.

It's this one:
https://onlylongrange.com/ulr-50-bmg/

I have a Sharps in 45-70 with the long 6x Malcolm vintage style scope on it, and that's another fun single shot rifle for sure.

There are many others in my safe, I do like shooting and I always have for the past 50+ years.

Obviously I'm going to start shooting "ultra long range" - need to pick out a scope and start buying some ammo!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

With the price of ammo, I've been thinking of buying a couple air/BB guns just to keep my skills up. Rifle and pistol just for practicing. I have a bit of a stockpile of ammo but dont want to use it for plinking. Even decent .22 has gotten ridiculous.
JMHO
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

nerdybrewer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:35 pm

I got a Zastava M91 sniper rifle that is reminiscent of the Dragunov and took it to Idaho last week to shoot at a nice range.
Had a great time.
That trip to Idaho didn't have anything to do with Boomers did it? That is a trip I want to make some day.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

nerdybrewer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:35 pm The ammo situation is bad, unless you are shooting 50BMG.
It's available at less than $3.00 per round and you can buy hundreds with free shipping.
getting old sucks!! I sold my BMG years ago because ammo got up to $2.00/ round.

and i've seen it as high as $5/per. I shoot a fair bit of BP, and roll my own for the rest.

All the real long range shooting was idaho and montana. look up dynamite shoot.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... t#p7503799

not that long ago .375 H&H was $159/20/box. it has dropped by half, BUT the stuff on my shelf

is all under $19. and I have dies, and components.
be water my friend
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

subbrew wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:00 am
nerdybrewer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:35 pm

Had a great time.
That trip to Idaho didn't have anything to do with Boomers did it? That is a trip I want to make some day.
lol not this time
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

cob wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:51 pm
nerdybrewer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:35 pm The ammo situation is bad, unless you are shooting 50BMG.
getting old sucks!! I sold my BMG years ago because ammo got up to $2.00/ round.

and i've seen it as high as $5/per. I shoot a fair bit of BP, and roll my own for the rest.

All the real long range shooting was idaho and montana. look up dynamite shoot.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... t#p7503799

not that long ago .375 H&H was $159/20/box. it has dropped by half, BUT the stuff on my shelf

is all under $19. and I have dies, and components.
So true!!
Getting an MRI to see if hip replacement is my next major surgery.

I see BMG out there available at ridiculous prices, but anywhere between $2 and $3 is ok. Not buying a semi auto, just a bolt action.
Shoot one at a time and see where I hit, that's what I like.

I'd like to take my Sharps 45/70 out to the Quigley shoot, just don't think I'm going to make it this June what with the hip acting up.
Cranky's spoonfeeding: