Hey guitar players

Moderator: Site Moderator

RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hey guitar players

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Nice list Woodshed! Love me some Guitar Trio. Also, I have a Taylor Leo Kottke 12-string... got it for my 18th birthday from my dad.

Bigbob, you could totally play little Martha... it's a pretty easy tune, just a non-standard tuning.

Some really good tunes in this thread. Haven't seen mention of Joe Bonamassa. For some good blues that are heavily influenced by classic rock, he really shines. I especially love the "Live From Nowhere in Particular" double set.

I've really liked this video since the first time I saw it, the guy's name is Eric Mongrain and the song is "Airtap." Acoustic tapping styles impress me. This kid can impress the shit out of you without going all virtuoso. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Going to see Aussie Pink Floyd tonight... I've heard they put on a pretty good show. Hope so!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

frunobulax wrote: year prior) where they played the entire Roxy and Elsewhere album (one of my favorite albums. lol).
Besides that, I think Hot Tuna is a very underrated band and Jorma Kaukonen is an awesome guitarist.
I saw that Roxy and Elsewhere show too, was great. Also saw Jorma play in 1996 in a "Guitar Summit" with Stanley Jordan, Kenny Burrell and Manuel Barrueco. Intense.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

I am getting back into playing after a setback earlier this year.
Really been enjoying the addition of the S3 cigar box guitar.
I still suck at it but not for lack of effort.
On the 6 string been trying to learn some Tom Petty. Tom and Mike have created some very iconic riffs. No mistaking that sound.
My ringtone for the SOH is Here comes my girl. Seemed appropriate.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I have always enjoyed fingerstyle. If you haven't heard of Sungha Jung, check him out on youtube. I think he was nine years old in one video ripping up a version of "classical gas".
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Buckethead is extremely technical. I’ve always thought he was on the forefront of the modern guitar scene. “Big Sur Moon” is a great Segway into his music
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:18 pm Buckethead is extremely technical. I’ve always thought he was on the forefront of the modern guitar scene.
Considering Buckethead released Big Sur Moon in 1998, it stands to reason where Canadian Ewan Dobson may have gotten his sound for Time 2, which has enjoyed over 30 million hits on YouTube. Isn't it amazing what one can do putting an acoustic guitar through a 500ms delay? :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing!

Twisted Brick

“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

This is the guy I've been listening to lately. Voted one of the Top 50 All-Time Greatest Guitar Players (Guitar Player Magazine), his understanding of the fretboard is as astounding as the sounds he gets out his axe on this Little Wing cover.

“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

I've had my little Emerald Carbon Fiber X& for about a year now. Pretty much my go-to anymore. I think Emerald makes some of the neatest and best sounding guitars around. I like the small X7 model because I take it when I travel. Incredibly well made and beautiful to hear and look at.

https://emeraldguitars.com/all-models/

And this guy, named Jamie Dupuis, is probably my favorite solo guitarist. He doesn't sing, but he'll knock your socks off with his acoustic guitar talent. And he can also rip an electric guitar just as good as anyone I've heard. Give him a listen. Just amazing talent. There's virtually no song or music genre that he can't play, and damn good. I could only wish I could play even a tenth as good and I'd be happy. He's heavy into those wonderful sounding harp guitars, but if has strings, he can make it sound great.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Barnes42
Novice

Post by Barnes42 »

My brother brought me this beauty recently. There is a dude in Germany making these custom guitars called Gerhard Schwarz who I admire. I alreadyy have a couple of custom Schwarz guitars but this one is a new one. My brother have recently been there to buy home in Germany and I ordered this one. Just the perfect axe.
Attachments
u6nphfeslfefdzeeoy9g.jpg
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Sweet guitar Barnes!. Love the Bigsby on it.

Jimbo
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

I’d have to go with SRV cover of Little Wing…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Jimbo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:26 am Sweet guitar Barnes!. Love the Bigsby on it.

Jimbo
Dang Jimbo, been a long time! You still playing that little cigar box guitar?
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Hey bud, yes long time! We left that cigar box guitar for Woodshed on our group bender get together out to Pagosa Springs back when.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Seems ages ago. Are you still with your band and still distilling? Have you heard from Woodshed since he left here?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Seems ages ago, and seems like yesterday too. Blink and a flippin decade shoots by.

Yes still distilling, was mashing and distilling every Saturday throughout much of the winter. Filled a couple 10 (11) gallon bbls. Wheated Bourbon, Triple Smoke Bourbon. Band is on hiatus. Pandemics suck. I think its time to find a new gig now, gettin twitchy.

No havent heard from Woodshed. Hope he's ok. Was talking to COB about him too.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I've had some personal things that took me a bit off course over the past few years. My artwork suffered for it, and also the distilling. But, I'm recovering and now making some effort to get back on course. You have a tenacious spirit and I'm sure you'll get back on course with your music.

I played guitar many years ago, but gave it up for health reasons - neuropathy in my hands. I still have an old Epiphone 12 string. I'm thinking of converting it into a dobro, of sorts - have a 6 string dobro nut put on it and learn to play it with a slide. Might be a good way to get back into it.

Speaking of "slide", check this guy out:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Do it Cack! Slide seems a great solution to neuropathy stuborn fingers. Keep the music alive!

Yes Ive seen some vids from that guy. Damn fine player.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I'm going into town today. The little music store there does repair work. I'll see if they can install the proper nut. Would be damned nice to fiddle around with a guitar again.

The guy in the video makes and sells those shovel guitars. Pretty cheap as near as I remember.