Your vegie garden

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Your vegie garden

Post by shadylane »

Raised beds is the way to go for small time gardening.
The flint stones
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The flint stones »

One mistake lots of folks make is when spring arrives they get spring fever and go to the farmers market or local nursery/home depot and buy lots of veggies with high hopes of a home grown bounty. Big mistake! Get a planting guide for your area and plant your garden vegetables at the proper time, timing is everything. We now garden all year and its wonderful and you get a nice rotation of vegetables all year long.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

The flint stones wrote:One mistake lots of folks make is when spring arrives they get spring fever and go to the farmers market or local nursery/home depot and buy lots of veggies with high hopes of a home grown bounty. Big mistake! Get a planting guide for your area and plant your garden vegetables at the proper time, timing is everything. We now garden all year and its wonderful and you get a nice rotation of vegetables all year long.
I had the opportunity to borrow a sod cutter when I bought this place 14 years ago. it made clearing a garden area too easy and I got a little carried away. The main garden area is 25x50 feet, and another 25x10 on the side of that for asparagus. Its great having fresh food but a royal pain in the balls to keep up on the weeds. Over the years Ive tailered what I put in, easy stuff for the most part, lots of butternut and acorn squash, fills a lot of space. 4 rows of corn, 2 ea. planted 2 weeks apart. And green beans, 2 batches, May 15 and early July. In early July I just rip the plants out when they're loaded, and replant the rows. Beans and corn are the only thing I stagger grow like that. Tomatoes, beets, potatoes, zukes, peppers etc I plant in May and thats it. Grass trimmings seems to hold the weeds back a little. Still need to find a better way. Was thinking of one of them little baby 2 stroke tillers. I have a Troybilt Horse but its too big to get in there when everything is growing.

I love pickled veggies, asparagus especially. Problem is when the aspargus is ready and Im up to my ears in it, its still too early for everything else, so I have to go buy onions, dill, hot peppers etc to put in with the asparagus. Then later in the season I do another round of pickled stuff, whatever is ready. Nothing like sittin around with friends drinking beers and killing a quart of pickled spicy goodness.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ive got to where once Ive tilled my garden I lay old carpet over it and cut holes in it to plant veggies. Now i dont have much weeding to do
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
The flint stones
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The flint stones »

+1 Jimbo on the troybuilt horse, one of the best things bought for our garden. I can run it between the rows until plants get to big. Then the shade provided cuts down on some of the weeds but when they get bad I use a "stirrup" hoe or some call it a "hula" hoe, I tackle one row at a time. Its easy to use for the weeds but it can give a good "core" workout. I also throw our fall leaves in garden as well.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

I've been using burlap for the past two seasons to keep my weeds down. It works alright if you can find the burlap for free or cheap. The new house I'm buying has 4 raised beds all ready to go... can't wait. Do raised beds generally avoid weeds? I've never done them before.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Randy, that is true. But only if you put a barrier on the bottom of the beds.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Randy ,
They will still support weeds . Intensive planting will help minimize weed growth . We go through and pull the little buggers every 2 or 3 days before they get a good start .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Tomatoes are starting!, my fav food in the entire world!. Zukinis are massive as ever, gota keep an eye on em, keep forgetting to check them, then in one day there twice the size lol. Capsicums are starting, as are the beans.
Attachments
14255977183650.jpg
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

That's it - rub it in Googe. I just finished shoveling snow. Ain't even thinking about maters and such. Suppose to have a heat wave next week though - gonna get up near 50 dF.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Damn it googe. Buried in snow and ice and you do this. But spring is around the corner for us.
them maters look mitty tastey.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dstaines »

I bought SWBMO a couple of artichoke seedlings on the internet last year and Jesus Creeping Christmas they have gotten big. This is our second harvest season from our two plants and they are BUSHY. Super tender blooms, and the lady's roasted chokes are to die for.
Small pic but you can click through and just see some nice blooms growing on the right
Small pic but you can click through and just see some nice blooms growing on the right
I also built a 10 cf above ground planter for my Willamette hops. Getting excited for the new bines this year, they are just breaking the surface. The first year's harvest last august yielded 4 ounces of cones once properly dried
My planter and adjustable string trellis, right before harvest last year
My planter and adjustable string trellis, right before harvest last year
Harvest time!
Harvest time!
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

nom nom nom, just had tomato sandwiches about an inch think for lunch cack/jed :D . Pretty cool here to, down to 19c :lol: .
Nice dctains!, always wanted to grow hops!, the plant must smell.amazing?!?!. Are they hard to grow?.
"Homer J Simpson"
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

I'm ready.

i had to stop the roto-tiller before i ran over my cherry tree.

phew. just in time!
Attachments
IMG_0265 - Copy.JPG
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Good looking tomatoes googe. I've been thinking about starting the garden. Been so busy and sick the only free time I have is when I'm at work. I picked up some lettuce starts the other day so it won't be long before that can be enjoyed. I already have the seeds for this year and can't wait until the tomatoes and squash are ready.
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

We only have a small garden at home with a few herbs a couple of flower beds, a greenhouse, a passionflower and merlot climbing up the house.

We rent an allotment garden about 2 miles from our house from the local council for about 40 quid a year. There's running water, a local farmer brings us as much donkey shit as we want, there's a small shop on site. We have 2 greenhouses and 2 sheds on our plot, 3 apple trees, 1 pear tree, 1 plum tree, black currant, raspberry, gooseberry and jostaberry bushes, a strawberry bed and a couple of cold frames.

We grow tomatoes, chillies, cucumbers, sweet peppers, potatoes, cabbage, broccoli, cauli, brussels, kohlrabi, kale, onion, leeks, peas, beans, sweetcorn, courgette, pumpkin, winter squashes and jerusalem artichokes. We also like to try some "exotics" so this year I have a 2 Chilean Guava (tazziberry) and 3 trifoliate oranges ready to plant out. Last year we tried some cucamelons (mexican sour gherkins) which we found were very successful in our greenhouse.

We're gearing up to start setting some seeds this weekend so hopefully the greenhouses should start filling up rapidly.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
― Mae West
googe
retired

Post by googe »

:lol: hdnb!!. Good luck.cranky. Sounds.good Phil!, .must be a good sized plot!?. I've seen them.gardens on TV, good idea for folk that don't have much land!.
Found a male tomatoe today :lol:
Attachments
14258630390490.jpg
"Homer J Simpson"
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

googe wrote: Found a male tomatoe today :lol:

:lol: :lol:

He seems ermm.......

pleased to see you. :wink: :lol:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
― Mae West
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

That's funny. I get those too.
TOMATO #3.JPG
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

My first thought was that penguin in the movie "happy feet" called Ramon....Robin Williams did the voice over...
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Finally got my garden in. 7 San Marsano tomatoes,some cherry tomatoes, couple different kinds of peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, although it's kind of late for that, corn, lots of summer squash some butternut squash and double the amount of green beans of last year. Last year we were getting a 4 gallon container +of green beans every 4 days so this year we should be able to run the canner every other day and still have plenty to eat and give away.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cranky wrote:Finally got my garden in. 7 San Marsano tomatoes,some cherry tomatoes, couple different kinds of peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, although it's kind of late for that, corn, lots of summer squash some butternut squash and double the amount of green beans of last year. Last year we were getting a 4 gallon container +of green beans every 4 days so this year we should be able to run the canner every other day and still have plenty to eat and give away.
Man after my own heart . Last good year we had for beans here we got 48 quarts from 12 heirloom seeds that have been handed down through my family for generations . I sent some to SOMO and PP and am anxious to see how they fare in Mo .
>My problem is with SOH . I could eat green beans at every meal and she can't stand them (plain unAmurican as far as I'm concerned). It's a labor of love on her part to help me string and can our beans .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Truckinbutch wrote:
cranky wrote:Finally got my garden in. 7 San Marsano tomatoes,some cherry tomatoes, couple different kinds of peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, although it's kind of late for that, corn, lots of summer squash some butternut squash and double the amount of green beans of last year. Last year we were getting a 4 gallon container +of green beans every 4 days so this year we should be able to run the canner every other day and still have plenty to eat and give away.
Man after my own heart . Last good year we had for beans here we got 48 quarts from 12 heirloom seeds that have been handed down through my family for generations . I sent some to SOMO and PP and am anxious to see how they fare in Mo .
>My problem is with SOH . I could eat green beans at every meal and she can't stand them (plain unAmurican as far as I'm concerned). It's a labor of love on her part to help me string and can our beans .
I agree, My only problem is the particular beans I've been growing only can good if they are frenched. We tried cutting them up and they tasted like cheap canned beans so we tried running them through the frencher and they taste like fresh beans even a year later. The wife hates having to take the extra step and french them but we both like having our own food that we know where it came from and how it was grown and I guess the prepper in me comes out because I always want to put up 365 jars a year so if it came to it we could eat them every day for a year. I would love to give your herlooms a try if you ever feel like sending some out my way. :D
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cranky wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:
I agree, My only problem is the particular beans I've been growing only can good if they are frenched. We tried cutting them up and they tasted like cheap canned beans so we tried running them through the frencher and they taste like fresh beans even a year later. The wife hates having to take the extra step and french them but we both like having our own food that we know where it came from and how it was grown and I guess the prepper in me comes out because I always want to put up 365 jars a year so if it came to it we could eat them every day for a year. I would love to give your herlooms a try if you ever feel like sending some out my way. :D
Be glad to send you some if this year's crop does well . They are a pole bean that can be trellised or companion planted with sweet or field corn . They do have to be stung . Can well fresh picked . Maybe SOMO and PP will update us when they get theirs planted .
>I sent them each a quart of our canned beans along with seed and they haven't tasted them yet . Betchya if it had been quarts of likker they'd have done been into it :moresarcasm:
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Truckinbutch wrote:. Maybe SOMO and PP will update us when they get theirs planted .
>I sent them each a quart of our canned beans along with seed and they haven't tasted them yet . Betchya if it had been quarts of likker they'd have done been into it :moresarcasm:
PP is known for rationing what is sent his way. I imagine he has at least a little of every bottle that has been sent to him.

Don't know bout' SoMo however... :moresarcasm:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

bearriver wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:. Maybe SOMO and PP will update us when they get theirs planted .
PP is known for rationing what is sent his way. I imagine he has at least a little of every bottle that has been sent to him.

Don't know bout' SoMo however... :moresarcasm:
It's all good , Brother . I try to ration what comes my way , too . That was just a friendly little nudge for them to keep us a little better updated on their homesteading endeavors .
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Indeed. Off grid apparently really means off grid. The amount of work involved must be staggering.

Wonder if he got his brewing setup working out there yet...
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

A couple weeks ago Truckinbutch sent me some of his famous heirloom green bean seeds. I finally got them in the ground about a week ago and yesterday they decided to put in an appearance. The beans I started last month are already looking for somewhere to grab onto but I have been slow about getting something up. Last year I built what I thought was a pretty darn sturdy trellis for the beans but it was no match for the severe winds we get in the fall and collapsed. This year I am determined not to let that happen. Truckinbutch suggested I use rebar which I'm sure would work fine but my wife is kind of tires of garden things that she thinks look ugly so today I have been building a green bean pergola out of 4x4s that should be able to withstand the 40MPH gusts we get in the fall and still look nice for the wife. It's rather time consuming and complicated but it shouldn't have to be replaced or repaired for several years and will look nice even when there are no beans which should make the wife and the beans happy. :D I'll try to get pictures up when I'm finished.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

That sounds good Cranky. You want to sew those beans every 3 weeks for a continual harvest. :thumbup:

I just used a wire trellis and pole pines that I cut down. You can probably see them in the picture I posted earlier in this thread. The wind blows right through the wire, which is good. There is ALOT more wind on the east side of the state.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Happy to hear you are making progress . Hope they bear well for you .