Your vegie garden

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Your vegie garden

Post by cranky »

bearriver wrote:That sounds good Cranky. You want to sew those beans every 3 weeks for a continual harvest. :thumbup:

I just used a wire trellis and pole pines that I cut down. You can probably see them in the picture I posted earlier in this thread. The wind blows right through the wire, which is good. There is ALOT more wind on the east side of the state.
I feel bad because I meant to offer some of the seeds to you Bear when I went out to your place and forgot :( but I'm sure we can probably hook you up with plenty of them throughout the summer.

I find that the bush beans need sown a few weeks apart but for me at least the pole beans produce forever. I was looking back at my notes from last year they started producing some time around the first of July and by the 7th we were picking about a gallon every two days and they continued to produce until well into late October or even November topping out at well over a gallon a day, we were trying to can every 4 days and just couldn't keep up. In mid September was when we got the storm with 40MPH gusts that blew the trellis over. Here is a picture of it after I shored it back up.
GB 1.jpg
That trellis was 7ft tall and they topped it and had nowhere else to go. I would have gone taller but don't like to stand on a ladder to pick, I already have to do that with my blackberries.
Truckinbutch wrote:Happy to hear you are making progress . Hope they bear well for you .
Thank you again for the beans TB. The ones that popped up yesterday grew at least an inch and a half today. It seemed like whenever I stopped to look at them I could actually see them growing. I wish I had a time laps feature on my camera, it would have been cool to film. I'm not sure I'm ready for the green bean overload that it looks like I will have this year but I will certainly try to keep up.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Their growth ate has always amazed me . Yes , you can literally watch them grow .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

This morning I have been once again working on the trellis for the green beans and I am happy to report I finally have them all supported. Just in time for the Truckinbutches but about a month late for the rest of them. Everything I have done this year is late :( But I now have a green bean pergola from Hell that should be able to stand up to most anything. I will try to get some pictures up soon. I'm thinking about adding some PVC pipes along the bottom of the trellis to make watering more efficient and easy and maybe adding a timer so I don't forget although the fuchsia are in hanging baskets and need watered daily or they shrivel up and I'm trying to get a decent supply of fuchsia berries this year. The tomatoes are doing quite well as is most everything else. I was hoping to have fresh vegetables to bring to the BBQ next week but as I said, everything is behind scheduled. I might have some squash by then since they have just begun flowering today and 10 days is about right. My Jalapeno peppers and hot cherry peppers have a few on them that may be ready by then but as usual the bees have been slow to find the San Marsano tomatoes so it looks like they are still several weeks from having any ripe tomatoes, although the cherry tomatoes look promising as do some of the cucumbers.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

I plowed TWICE... I carefully planted, fertilized, and weeded..... but them stinkin rabbits and rats they tear them bean plants up!! ...., normally you would set traps, right??? however this year we have to have free ranging chickens..... Mama says you have to kill them without traps..... the pellet gun I have wont hit them rats consistently... So MaMa I gotta spend $350 on a bad ass air gun....
Well that didnt go too far....LOL!!
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

ranger_ric wrote:I plowed TWICE... I carefully planted, fertilized, and weeded..... but them stinkin rabbits and rats they tear them bean plants up!! ...., normally you would set traps, right??? however this year we have to have free ranging chickens..... Mama says you have to kill them without traps..... the pellet gun I have wont hit them rats consistently... So MaMa I gotta spend $350 on a bad ass air gun....
Well that didnt go too far....LOL!!
I killed a rat with a 30-30 once, a bit overkill but it got the job done :D
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

4-10 shotgun is perfect for that job if your outside of a city
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Finally got around to taking some pics of the garden.
GARDEN 05 JUL 15  #12 - C.jpg
This is the Green bean pergola I've been working on. Those beans in front are Truckenbutches. It's hard to see but they are already over half way up the trellis. I didn't want to plant TBs beans so close to the others but I didn't have any other suitable space at the moment.

As far as vegetables, the beans in the back are flowering so we will begin eating lots of fresh beans and dusting off the big pressure caner soon. The squash are starting to produce, the first of the peas are ready to be picked and the few stalks of corn that grew are getting bigger every day. The tomatoes are getting huge but those San Marsanos take forever to ripen. and we also have cucumbers that are now pickle size :D
Then there are these little gems
GARDEN 05 JUL 15  #13 - C.jpg
'Which are actually a very common, yet uncommon fruit that I hope to utilize this year.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Nice work Cranky. My garden this year is in the worst shape its been in years. Horrible, so much rain I didnt get out to weed it and the weeds reached my knees before I finally took a weedwhacker to it. There's a few things salvaged, squash, cukes, maters and sweet corn, but not much else. Bugs me to see it lookin so bad. I started piling grass clippings down around the veggies in a feeble attempt at weed control. Half tempted to till the whole damn thing under and let it go fallow for the rest of the year
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:Nice work Cranky. My garden this year is in the worst shape its been in years. Horrible, so much rain I didnt get out to weed it and the weeds reached my knees before I finally took a weedwhacker to it. There's a few things salvaged, squash, cukes, maters and sweet corn, but not much else. Bugs me to see it lookin so bad. I started piling grass clippings down around the veggies in a feeble attempt at weed control. Half tempted to till the whole damn thing under and let it go fallow for the rest of the year
I understand that I have been slacking on the garden this year. I use cardboard boxes for weed control. Spread them out, wet them down and they stay put, it kills the weeds and keep the worms happy. With this hot weather my lettuce has started bolting so it's about to get pulled but the squash are happy and I will be happy with whatever I can get.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Place those beans are now , getout the way , they fixin to bust loose . You sit and watch them for two hours and you can watch them grow without having a drink in your hand .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

What are you going to do with the fushia berries cranky?
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Had the first mater today. It was just a grape mater and it was still orange but damnit i grew it and it had flavour.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bigbob wrote:What are you going to do with the fushia berries cranky?
I was going to keep it a secret but was thinking about maybe encouraging others to try something.

For years now I have been wanting to make a fuchsia berry wine. Now that I've progressed with my hobby my evil plan is to freeze them until I have enough and then I want to macerate them in a blackberry or apple brandy and run them again or make a thumper and flavor that way. I have at least 3 varieties, I have 2 more plants that haven't yet flowered so maybe more. I bought them in April as starts for 60cents each so I figured what the hell maybe this year is the year I can do something with fuchsia berries. :D If I succeed I will make a post about it. Eventually I hope to get the fuchsia plants producing enough for a fuchsia Eau de Vei but I have never tested the sugar content so I don't know how many it would take.
GARDEN 05 JUL 15  #14 - C.jpg
GARDEN 05 JUL 15  #8 - C.jpg
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Sorry about exposing your plan.... Us gardeners are like that. :roll:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bigbob wrote:Sorry about exposing your plan.... Us gardeners are like that. :roll:
No biggie, I might bring the subject up in my fruity goodness thread and see what kind of input people might have. The first berry was fully ripe today so I tried it. Pretty interesting, the flavor is rather mild, sweet at first, then spicy and then hits the back of your throat like a spoon full of black pepper. This was the pink ones in the front, I know differ varieties have different flavors and I'm looking forward to tasting the other 2 and seeing what I think I can do with them.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I forgot to mention, The Truckinbutch beans have grown 2 feet today and are now 3/4 of the way up the trellis.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

jedneck wrote:Had the first mater today. It was just a grape mater and it was still orange but damnit i grew it and it had flavour.
I know how you feel Jed... I've eaten 2 onions and a ton of lettuce, but that's about it. I do have a 2" squash, so that should be up in the next day or 2.

Even my black raspberries have been getting picked off by the damn birds before they're fully ripe. And my lab has taken to eating any strawberry that has turned red when she goes out for the morning pee at 5:00 am. With the birds, the dog, and the 4 year old I don't think I'll taste a berry this summer.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cranky wrote:I forgot to mention, The Truckinbutch beans have grown 2 feet today and are now 3/4 of the way up the trellis.
:) Told you that you could watch them grow .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Truckinbutch wrote:
cranky wrote:I forgot to mention, The Truckinbutch beans have grown 2 feet today and are now 3/4 of the way up the trellis.
:) Told you that you could watch them grow .
I'm ready TB Looking forward to comparing your beans to the ones I've been growing.
RandyMarshCT wrote:
jedneck wrote:Had the first mater today. It was just a grape mater and it was still orange but damnit i grew it and it had flavour.
I know how you feel Jed... I've eaten 2 onions and a ton of lettuce, but that's about it. I do have a 2" squash, so that should be up in the next day or 2.

Even my black raspberries have been getting picked off by the damn birds before they're fully ripe. And my lab has taken to eating any strawberry that has turned red when she goes out for the morning pee at 5:00 am. With the birds, the dog, and the 4 year old I don't think I'll taste a berry this summer.
I have 2 squash that are going to need to be picked today. one is normal squash size the other has been very large diameter from the very beginning but now it is just getting big. 2 of my cherry tomatoes are beginning to show color so they should be ready in the next couple days. :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Here is the latest picture of my green bean trellis. The ones in the front are the Trukinbutches, they topped the trellis about a week before the others and are now about 3 feet over the top. They haven't yet produced any beans yet but it shouldn't be long. The other ones have started producing enough to have regular with dinner and should be producing enough to start canning soon.
GARDEN 30 JUL 15 #1 - C.JPG
The cherry tomatoes have started producing but the San Marsanos are going slow but they do. They get as big as my hand and are very tasty so they are worth the wait.
Squash are producing more than we can eat so life is pretty good. :D
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cranky wrote:Here is the latest picture of my green bean trellis. The ones in the front are the Trukinbutches, they topped the trellis about a week before the others and are now about 3 feet over the top. They haven't yet produced any beans yet but it shouldn't be long. The other ones have started producing enough to have regular with dinner and should be producing enough to start canning soon.
GARDEN 30 JUL 15 #1 - C.JPG
The cherry tomatoes have started producing but the San Marsanos are going slow but they do. They get as big as my hand and are very tasty so they are worth the wait.
Squash are producing more than we can eat so life is pretty good. :D
My first planting started blooming last week and the second is starting to bloom now . I never cease to be amazed at the rate these beans will grow when they start . Hope they will produce you a good crop of beans you like to eat .
googe
retired

Post by googe »

White peaches nearly ready, as are the plums. Tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, happy times.
Attachments
14517163590442.jpg
14517163277291.jpg
14517162786500.jpg
14517162353920.jpg
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Dang Googe,
That's some fine lookin' bounty you have there. It's hard to believe that kind of weather is going on someplace in the world. You lucky son of a gun.
I envy you right now. My garden is a quite a ways off due to this:
P1080859a.jpg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

That time again. Got the lettuce and spinach popping.
20190508_185143.jpg
We decided to start seedlings this year ahead of time for our entire crop, instead of buying seedlings. So glad we're did. So many varieties, heirloom, and they are doing so well. Cheers spring.
FB_IMG_1557359443069.jpg
FB_IMG_1557359401560.jpg
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

It's hard to get a picture of but my garden this year consists of one 10ft x 18inch raised bed with 6 tomato plants, 5 San Marsanos and 1 Black Krim. I also planted some zucchini between them and some green beans on the end but it is a very small garden this year. I planted the tomatoes about 2 weeks ago and the other stuff maybe a few days ago. My green bean pergola has now been converted to a shed and my wife is enforcing strict limits on how crazy I am allowed to get :(
GARDEN 08 MAY 19 #2.jpg
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

My wife and I maintain a good sized garden. The main veggie garden consists of eight 4x10' raised beds. We grow a lot of different stuff.
We usually have 10 or so tomato varieties, several cucumber, zucchini, sweet pepper plants. Dozens of beets radishes, onions, garlic, lettuce. We also do kale, asparagus, potatoes, strawberries, rhubarb, cabbage, herbs, carrots, probably some more I'm forgetting.
We can a lot of stuff, like salsas, pickled veggies, sauces, etc.
I focus on my superhot peppers. Last year I had 3 plants each of: Carolina reaper, apocalypse scorpion, ghost, devils tongue, habanero, scotch bonnet, Thai, and then jalapeno and banana peppers. I make hot sauce, and dry some and grind it up too.
I also grow hops for my beer making.
We have 35+ Muscat grape vines, so I make wine from that.
On other parts of the yard, We have an apple tree and 2 pear trees, plus a bunch of raspberries, blackberries, currants, and blueberries. We also grow some figs.

Here is a early season shot of our garden, then one later in the year. Plus our cellar.
20190611_053933.jpg
20190725_105812.jpg
20180826_215411.jpg
20180822_203803.jpg
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

all prepped for 2020.
GardenCam-20200419-2024246511.jpg
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

That garden is fantastic!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

Nice!!!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

That's a very impressive effort there, GreenEnvy. Well done.

We have plenty of dirt, but much of it is growing grass for the sheep and cows we don't own :D That said, we haven't been to the supermarket for three weeks of lockdown and most of our fruit and veg is from our garden, plus we are canning, freezing, fermenting and sharing our excess.