Your vegie garden

Moderator: Site Moderator

Halfbaked
retired

Re: Your vegie garden

Post by Halfbaked »

Green house????? I didn't see a green house. I saw a stillin house.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Well the first good stuff from my little piece of dirt. Red Pontiac Potatoes, fresh onions, green beans, and our fresh ham hocks don't get any better.
Attachments
image.jpg
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

bearriver wrote:
googe wrote:Our basil never grows more than 6" then dies or looks cooked, any ideas how to grow it good?.
Basil needs well draining loamy soil. After 6 weeks, pinch off the center shoot to prevent early flowering. If flowers do grow, just cut them off. This will keep the plant in the vegetative state.

Keep the PH of the soil 5.5-6.5 and water with no more than 700-1,120 PPM.

Do you water with a sprinkler? Its best to water in the earliest morning, and avoid getting the foliage wet. This prevents sunburn, the roots getting cooked, dampening off, and a myriad of other garden woes. Also watch out for over-watering, which is characterized by yellowing new growth, and eventually death.
Thanks mate :thumbup: , I this it might be over watering like you say, someone else mentioned that too!, they do get yellow new growth!. Back off on watering!. Nice somo, nothing better than eating straight from the garden!.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Always had a problem with a decent garden. My land is up on a ridge with rocky clay soil. My daughter and I finally bit the bullet and did a raised garden this year. It's just 4' X 8', but it took many bags of top soil to fill it. We mixed in a couple of bags of manure and some peat moss. We planted 6 tomato plants, 2 jalapeno plants and some carrots and a boarder of Marigolds to help keep the bugs out. Things didn't go well at first, but figuring we didn't have enough nutrients in the soil, we fertilized with some Miracle Grow and everything took off and we now have some healthy looking plants that are starting to produce. If this season is successful, we plan to build another (or two) raised beds next spring and start to expand a bit. It's a little expensive to get one of these things going, but I figure it's worth it in the long run.

My daughter wants to put up some salsa. I just like a nice fresh mater to eat alongside a bowl of pinto beans seasoned with some ham hocks over crumbled cornbread. Then, them jalapenos are mighty tasty to eat along with a bowl of cornbread and buttermilk.

Just sayin',
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Damn cack I'm hungry again. Mite go make sum raggin mary
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

jedneck wrote:Damn cack I'm hungry again. Mite go make sum raggin mary
What's this "raggin mary" you talkin' bout? Must be good to have such a name.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 57&t=49637
Eggs in hell with a double shot of vodka stirred in.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

jedneck wrote:http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 57&t=49637
Eggs in hell with a double shot of vodka stirred in.
Well, now I know I would damn sure eat it.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

Sounds delicious!!!

For us, even though we live in the country, we have made some rooftop veggy gardens. The damn deer keep eating all of our produce, so it goes in the greenhouse or on the roof!
Makes me hungry for venison.....
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Always had a problem with a decent garden. My land is up on a ridge with rocky clay soil. My daughter and I finally bit the bullet and did a raised garden this year. It's just 4' X 8', but it took many bags of top soil to fill it. We mixed in a couple of bags of manure and some peat moss. We planted 6 tomato plants, 2 jalapeno plants and some carrots and a boarder of Marigolds to help keep the bugs out. Things didn't go well at first, but figuring we didn't have enough nutrients in the soil, we fertilized with some Miracle Grow and everything took off and we now have some healthy looking plants that are starting to produce. If this season is successful, we plan to build another (or two) raised beds next spring and start to expand a bit. It's a little expensive to get one of these things going, but I figure it's worth it in the long run.

My daughter wants to put up some salsa. I just like a nice fresh mater to eat alongside a bowl of pinto beans seasoned with some ham hocks over crumbled cornbread. Then, them jalapenos are mighty tasty to eat along with a bowl of cornbread and buttermilk.

Just sayin',
We have 6 4x10 raised beds that have been in place for 6 years now . Good years and bad years using them . We always have done a bit better than the conventional gardeners in the community .
Topsoil/compost mix with some Miracle Grow added in . We have an heirloom pole bean seed that has been handed down in my family for nearly 300 years . They always produce something . 4 years back was a banner year . Canned 48 quarts and saved nearly 2# of seed from 12 seeds planted .
This year is looking like another banner year .
>
>Tip to those that have problems with tomato blight ; friend told me to shove a few inches of bare copper household wire into the soil by each tomato plant . Claims that it will oxidize and release copper sulfate the plant will absorb and prevent blight .
We been having lots of problems with blight around here . I'm giving it a try this year .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

Truckinbutch wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:Always had a problem with a decent garden. My land is up on a ridge with rocky clay soil. My daughter and I finally bit the bullet and did a raised garden this year. It's just 4' X 8', but it took many bags of top soil to fill it. We mixed in a couple of bags of manure and some peat moss. We planted 6 tomato plants, 2 jalapeno plants and some carrots and a boarder of Marigolds to help keep the bugs out. Things didn't go well at first, but figuring we didn't have enough nutrients in the soil, we fertilized with some Miracle Grow and everything took off and we now have some healthy looking plants that are starting to produce. If this season is successful, we plan to build another (or two) raised beds next spring and start to expand a bit. It's a little expensive to get one of these things going, but I figure it's worth it in the long run.

Just sayin',
We have 6 4x10 raised beds that have been in place for 6 years now . Good years and bad years using them . We always have done a bit better than the conventional gardeners in the community .
Topsoil/compost mix with some Miracle Grow added in . We have an heirloom pole bean seed that has been handed down in my family for nearly 300 years . They always produce something . 4 years back was a banner year . Canned 48 quarts and saved nearly 2# of seed from 12 seeds planted .
This year is looking like another banner year .
>
>Tip to those that have problems with tomato blight ; friend told me to shove a few inches of bare copper household wire into the soil by each tomato plant . Claims that it will oxidize and release copper sulfate the plant will absorb and prevent blight .
We been having lots of problems with blight around here . I'm giving it a try this year .
Are you sure it isn't just that damn monkey again???
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Just sayin',
Cack look up pallet raised beds, a pallet some garden felt like material and a few bags of miracle grow soil easy and great results you plant in the gaps between the boards cool stuff.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Red Rim , I doubt that that damned monkey could have blighted all the tomatoes in 2 whole counties :crazy:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Always had a problem with a decent garden. My land is up on a ridge with rocky clay soil.,
Sounds like grape growing material.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

MDH wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:Always had a problem with a decent garden. My land is up on a ridge with rocky clay soil.,
Sounds like grape growing material.
Sounds like another Oregon vineyard owner!
Is that a south facing hill?
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

no unfortunatly I didn't @googe
I have moved house twice since then. and the place I am currently in has almost no backyard, and no vege garden

*hoping I can change that soon, those vege's look the best!!!!!*
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

For those with deer problems, a few bars of Irish spring soap hanging around the garden keeps them away. For some reason they don't like it. Worked for us at our last place. Deer wouldn't come within 30 meters.
I really miss having a garden, my nomadic work life puts a damper on gardening.
Sent from yet another crappy motel room....
The flint stones
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The flint stones »

Here is our garden and yesterday's pick, can't beet fresh anything. We used to be spring gardeners but now garden all year long. Its good therapy just like distilling your own drop.
Attachments
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0249.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

bellybuster wrote: I really miss having a garden, my nomadic work life puts a damper on gardening.
Sent from yet another crappy motel room....
Been there, Spent 10 rears on the road before taking a real job. A garden was one of my first projects when I bought my current house.
This was my garden in 2013
AG1.jpg
That was before the west tomatoes tore down their cell block, killed the squash and attacked the green beans. At that point they were somewhere around 7 ft tall. They say you cant grow tomatoes on the west side of the Cascade mountains, but "they" are wrong.
AG2.jpg
The pot is 4 gallons and that was only one or 2 days of picking.
Green Beans were crazy too.
AG3.jpg
That was 3 days of green beans from 2 beds only 8 feet long. I cant seem to manage squash though.
I'm jealous of you guys with lots of space for gardening.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I am coming to both of your houses for some good eatin.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Halfbaked wrote:I am coming to both of your houses for some good eatin.
Your welcome to come have dinner at my house any time, Just have to wait for me to finish remodeling. The last house took 8 years :wtf: Only 5 years to go on this one. :D
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Anyone that's lived in the PNW for any amount of time knows that zucchini grows to unreal proportions.
In my old neighborhood, people anonymously left overgrown zucchini on your doorstep like babies at an adoption agency.

tp
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

T-Pee wrote:Anyone that's lived in the PNW for any amount of time knows that zucchini grows to unreal proportions.
In my old neighborhood, people anonymously left overgrown zucchini on your doorstep like babies at an adoption agency.

tp
For everybody but me :? I cant grow zucchini or yellow squash. I did a little better this past summer but between the ants and slugs getting in the flowers and the powdery mildew I cant seem to get enough to make the wife happy much less give to the neighbors.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

I'd be happy to send you all a picture of a snow bank so you can feel better about your gardens
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

tp
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

HDNB wrote:I'd be happy to send you all a picture of a snow bank so you can feel better about your gardens
I like snow...on the mountains in the distance. the way it should be :D
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Good to see folk into there veggies :D , nice work the flint stones and cranky!!. Getting some.carrots this year finally!. Got lots of tomatoes coming along, can't wait, love my tomatoes!!!!.
Attachments
14191444730302.jpg
14191444643341.jpg
14191444496460.jpg
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

googe wrote:Good to see folk into there veggies :D , nice work the flint stones and cranky!!. Getting some.carrots this year finally!. Got lots of tomatoes coming along, can't wait, love my tomatoes!!!!.
Goog deal Googe! Do you have a watering system? Carrots come out much more uniform with scheduled waterings off a timer.
The flint stones
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The flint stones »

Can't best the taste of home grown tomatoes, lots of vegies can be grown in small spaces!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I agree with The flint stones, you can't beat home grown tomatoes, or pretty much any home grown vegetables. I grew mostly San Marsanos this past year which were much slower growing than any of the other tomatoes but damn those were good tomatoes. My wife would bring them in and cut them into strips and just stand there in the kitchen eating them. I hardly got any sauce canned but what I did is just awesome. My garden takes up a bit more space every year as SWMBO comes around to my way of thinking. One of my neighbors has his entire yard taken up by raised beds. I'm thinking about trying carrots next year which means another bed but I still have some areas of grass that hasn't been used yet. This past year I also grew Tai chillies, rainbow chillies and Dorset Naga peppers but the Nagas grow so slow and our weather is too cold they didn't produce any flowers until Oct. I'm hoping they survive the winter and produce something next year. The Tai and Rainbows did well though, The rainbows are now in my 50 degree garage and still doing fine. I got a bunch of 17 inch pots at Lowe's on clearance for 75cents each which I plan on using in the front yard for cherry tomatoes and something else but not sure what.