Cigars

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Re: Cigars

Post by Jimbo »

Thems Fuente 858. My favorite
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Been a serious cigar smoker for about 20 years and mostly smoke 50-54 x 6'ish cigars in maduro or oscuro. Like Honduran and Nic cigars but for the last two months I have gotten into rolling my own. The Fair Trade Tobacco Forum (really a great bunch of guys) is great and Whole Leaf Tobacco is a great source for the tobacco. I have learned the rolling process really isn't the hard part (after the 20th cigar or so, I could roll a decent looking cigar, but more importantly, burn, draws and taste great. There is no Federal tax on whole leaf tobacco and you can roll a $20 cigar for less than $2.00. One thing I learned quickly is there is more bull-shit hype in the cigar industry than there is in the whiskey industry, and that's saying a lot! The hard part is blending and that's where I am now; trying out different blends and finally having some success; much more complicated that I ever imagined. The same things that drew me to distilling also drew me to RYO, I can roll the exact blend I want for the occasion, in whatever size, favor and strength I want AND it's legal. I have un-subscribed from most of the emailed Cigar catalogs (JR Cigars will really, really miss me) and now spend my time reading about different tobaccos.
Good luck with your new cigar hobby and remember, cigars are not a habit, they are a life style.

BG
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Boda, please give us more clues on RYO. Im a self sufficient (anti establishment) sort too, and would love to explore that. I can roll a mean .... cigarette, from years past, pretty sure could figure out a cigar with the right starting materials. How does one get started in this?
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

Been buying online from Cigars International. Try to stick to "samplers" t o get good assortment at a fair price. Anything less than $3 is usually not very good. Last purchase was:

The Xikar HC Series Mega Sampler includes:
5 – Xikar HC Series Maduro Toro (6.5” x 52)
5 – Xikar HC Series Criollo Toro (6.5” x 52)
5 – Xikar HC Series Habano Colorado Toro (6.5” x 52)
5 – Xikar HC Series Connecticut Toro (6.5” x 52)

Cost me $70 + shipping.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Jimbo:

What got me started was the fact that I get a lot enjoyment sitting on the back porch, at the lake, beach etc drinking 3 fingers of my Single Malt neat and smoking a good cigar. Several months I thought "I think it's neat I made this whiskey, how neat would it be if I could roll my own cigars?"

First thing is to join the Fair Trade Tobacco Forum (http://fairtradetobacco.com/forum.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) , then just like distilling, read, read. research, post questions, watch videos and just do it. There are a bunch of videos in the "How to Roll Cigars" section, but tons of other YouTube videos as well. My absolute best recommendation is to watch the "Cigar rolling test - paper towels to real tobacco" by Forum member Gdaddy. He starts you off by practicing with paper towels cut in the shape of tobacco leafs. This will teach you the basics; after that, just some practice. The best source for tobacco is Whole Leaf Tobacco (http://wholeleaftobacco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) but a good alternative for a newbie is Leaf Only (https://www.leafonly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) because they will sell 1/4 lb sample packs of tobacco. You will find Fair Trade Tobacco to be a very well ran Forum with great members eager to help people starting out. Any other questions just PM me; you have a great help to me in distilling and I will gladly do what I can to help you. Interestingly, there was post on the Fair Trade Tobacco on the Home Distilling Forum, I take part on that Forum under my real name so I did not post on that thread, but as your post indicates, there are lots of similarities between the RYO and Home Distilling crowd.
Good Luck

BG
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

"Anything less than $3 is usually not very good"

I will have to respectfully disagree with this; with some research and shopping around, you can buy a very good cigar for less than $3.00. I strongly recommend the Consuegra line sold by JR Cigar and the Old Fashioned Line sold by Mike's Cigar's in Miami. Consuegra are true seconds (as opposed to the fake seconds, over runs, no name bundles on the market) They are seconds to HDM, ERdM, Punch, Belinda and others at around 1/3 the price. I have bought a ton of them over the years and most of the time I can't tell them from the first name brand cigar. There is a conversion chart at http://forums.cigaraficionado.com/eve/f ... m/52660264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow that show what you are getting. I recommend the #14, #16, #9, #73 and #84 The Old Fashioned line from Mikes are as good a deal and are seconds to Partagas and Macanado's. See conversion chart at http://www.herfin.com/oldfashionedcigars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. You can but 2 x 25 cigars of either for around $70.00. People knowledgeable of the cigar industry will tell you that the manufacturers has about the same cost in a $5.00 cigar as they do in a $20.00 cigar; the difference is hype, mark-ups, dealer profits, etc. Invest $35.00-$40 in a bundle of Connie's and check it out.

BG
mystakilla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mystakilla »

Thanks for the links Boda, I'm interested in trying to roll my own to see if I enjoy it and what I come up with.
Right now my daily cigar is a cheap $2.50, cigars international "Legends, Copper label", quality made and real good smoke.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

boda getta wrote:You will find Fair Trade Tobacco to be a very well ran Forum with great members eager to help people starting out. Interestingly, there was post on the Fair Trade Tobacco on the Home Distilling Forum, I take part on that Forum under my real name so I did not post on that thread, but as your post indicates, there are lots of similarities between the RYO and Home Distilling crowd.
Good Luck
BG
Yup I threw people this way and visa-versa. Only smoke my own home grown, cured and rolled. (maybe once a month).
Would love some more commercial to compare to (the darker the better!) but just can't afford them (+ they aren't easy to get here in NZ- very anti-tobacco!)
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Thanks Boda for the awesome advice. I feel that the correlation between distilling your own and rolling your own is a strong one.

I would never spend $20 on a cigar, not that it isn't worth it. However, it's much like spending $60+ on a fifth that I can recreate myself for just a few dollars. It just takes research and practice.

What a blessing to live in the age of the internet!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks boda, our resident stogie guru here! Great info.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

So with the new federal relationship with Cuba thrown in, does that mean access to Cubans where there wasn't previously?

I'll be in Victoria, BC, Canada this upcoming weekend. I actually don't smoke cigars myself (I have puffed several, but don't actively engage in it), but I want to have some nice, $40 cubans as gifts for a few friends in the distillery business! There is a very nice cigar shop in Victoria. Bushman will know what I'm talking about...
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Gurkhas. The only one I didn't like like so far was the Park Ave. I get em from CigarBid for 2 or 3 bucks.

But mostly I smoke RYOs with tobacco from Whole Leaf and Leaf Only cuz they are better. Got the tip from boda getta and frozenthunderbolt. +1 to everything boda getta said. You can roll a really good stick for very little money. I've only been doing it for a few months. My blends are pretty much random wild assed guesses, but even the bad ones are pretty good and the good ones are extraordinary. I'll reach right past a $12 Gurkha to grab a home rolled. I roll em 3 at a time and log the blend in a notebook so when I luck out and make a good one I know what was in it. The variety of tobaccos available is fantastic, and the quality of product I have got from both vendors is excellent. I know you can all relate to the satisfaction of sipping a great whiskey and lighting up a great cigar that are only available to you and whoever you chose. Almost makes you feel sorry for everybody else.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Skow, to avoid pay and pray, can you recommend a couple blends that you thought were extraordinary? thanks. Im gonna give this a whirl. Reminds me of that bigass esmerelda rolling paper that came in the cheech and chong album. Anyone remember that?
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I'm with you Jimbo! I'm pretty stoked to learn a new hobby.

Yes, much before my time but I have seen one in person. It's the stuff dreams are made of :lol:
Last edited by bearriver on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I used mine. Took a lot of,...filler. And that's all I have to say about that
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

:thumbup:

:silent:
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

I too would love a little nudge in the right direction for rolling your own. If you have any specific blend you'd recommend as a starting point please share.

On a separate note, if you guys get a chance I cannot recommend attending "The Big Smoke" enough. It's the big event put in by cigar aficionado. Îts a great time, and a lot of cigars. Plus you get to talk directly to the manufacturer reps and learn a lot of the back story of the different big boys. Well worth the price of admission. Plus for those of you who have always meant to buy your self a Bugatti but can't find the time to get measured they will hook you up at the show for free. :)
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Big Bamboo! You're supposed to roll your sock up in that. And Dave ain't here, man. Sadly, it was not before my time.

Jimbo, I'm pretty sure you'd be better off with a recommendation from boda getta than me. Hell, I just figured out that corojo isn't a hooker and criollo isn't a round toy on a string. Check out these blends and these kits for combinations that will actually work together. And this. I just throw em all up in the air and roll whatever lands on the table.

I spent about $50 on my first order. That got me just enough to make a couple different tastes and set the hook. Right now I've prolly got about 10 different fillers and a half dozen wrappers. I can roll beautiful sticks if I take the time, but I'm painfully slow. Last week I rolled one 10 1/4 X 56. It was magnificent. Smoked good, too. I roll a lot of drumsticks (shaped like an ice cream cone). They work for me. And pigtail tips. Triple caps are way too much trouble when nobody sees em but me. Most fun I've had since I started stillin.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

For newbies, I'll recommend you take a look at Whole Leaf Tobacco kits and read the descriptions to determine which suits you as far as strength is concerned. If anyone wants to PM me and tell me what type cigars you like (not specific brands, but wrapper type, mild, med-strong, strong, ect) I will try to suggest some blends. As noted, the rolling part is the easy part... the blending is the hard part. There are blend threads on Fair Trade Tobacco Forum that will be of some use. But again, I suggest you take a look at the blend kits at WLT and you can play around with the amounts of each type leaf to adjust the blend to your unique tastes.

D
bonehead
Novice

Post by bonehead »

try some of these blends http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Whole-Leaf- ... ds_c30.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow they have great tobacco and own the tobacco forum http://fairtradetobacco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Last edited by bonehead on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mystakilla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mystakilla »

boda getta wrote:For newbies, I'll recommend you take a look at Whole Leaf Tobacco kits and read the descriptions to determine which suits you as far as strength is concerned. If anyone wants to PM me and tell me what type cigars you like (not specific brands, but wrapper type, mild, med-strong, strong, ect) I will try to suggest some blends. As noted, the rolling part is the easy part... the blending is the hard part. There are blend threads on Fair Trade Tobacco Forum that will be of some use. But again, I suggest you take a look at the blend kits at WLT and you can play around with the amounts of each type leaf to adjust the blend to your unique tastes.

D
bonehead wrote:try some of these blends http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Whole-Leaf- ... ds_c30.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow they have great tobacco and own the tobacco forum athttp://fairtradetobacco.com/forum.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
mystakilla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mystakilla »

boda getta wrote:For newbies, I'll recommend you take a look at Whole Leaf Tobacco kits and read the descriptions to determine which suits you as far as strength is concerned. If anyone wants to PM me and tell me what type cigars you like (not specific brands, but wrapper type, mild, med-strong, strong, ect) I will try to suggest some blends. As noted, the rolling part is the easy part... the blending is the hard part. There are blend threads on Fair Trade Tobacco Forum that will be of some use. But again, I suggest you take a look at the blend kits at WLT and you can play around with the amounts of each type leaf to adjust the blend to your unique tastes.

D
bonehead wrote:try some of these blends http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Whole-Leaf- ... ds_c30.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow they have great tobacco and own the tobacco forum athttp://fairtradetobacco.com/forum.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

ive been thinking about buying tobacco leaf to use in my rollies but haven't ordered any. this thread is going to change that.
bonehead wrote:try some of these blends http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Whole-Leaf- ... ds_c30.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow they have great tobacco and own the tobacco forum http://fairtradetobacco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ohh grate another forum to occupy my time SOH will be pleased :twisted:

also it would be cool if you guys that already RYO could post some pics of your best rolls
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

WooTeck wrote:

also it would be cool if you guys that already RYO could post some pics of your best rolls
+1. I suspect my first rolls will look like they came out of Backwoods bag..... But thats ok, if they smoke good. :thumbup:

Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Fantastic, another flippin hobby to get obsessive about. :crazy: Wife is gonna be delighted.... :roll:

Order placed, cant wait to get to rollin up my first!!!

Thanks guys for the inputs and guidance :thumbup:
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

skow69 wrote:Big Bamboo! You're supposed to roll your sock up in that. And Dave ain't here, man. Sadly, it was not before my time.
Nor mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtDAK7Umk7A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Couldn't resist.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

haha right! Man this shit is taking me back 3+ decades.

I thought that paper came in my Los Cochinos album, remember that one, car door with the funny sleeve that pulled out. But youre prolly right it was in Big Bambu. Its not surprising I dont remember much from that decade. Anyway, back on topic, thanks again Skow and Boda for the help.
loscochinos.jpg
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Been watching Rickey Taylor rolling video's on youtube. I like his style, and tips. Check him out if you want to see some good vids.
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

Those are a great find jimbo! Never heard of the guy but I like how he teaches.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I think Jimbos got the fever and a full shelf of fruit pectin in the stillin room. I sware I could smell the tobacco when he pulled the leaves out of those bags.