Fried Green Tomatoes

Moderator: Site Moderator

FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fried Green Tomatoes

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

This recipe looks tasty and easy but I don't think it's a true pickling process.
http://foodinjars.com/2013/03/guest-pos ... -tomatoes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
bonehead
Novice

Post by bonehead »

all this food talk makes me think about homemade sourkraut,homemade hot pepper relish and some grilled hotdogs and beer at a picknick. dam this snow and cold weather.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

P, those Detroit dark reds are good, I grow them every year. Love tossing 3 in a pot of boiling water for a while and then just rubbing the skins off and eating them hot with lots of butter and salt. mmmmmm!!! If I get carried away i pee red too. LOL.

Pickled recipes look good below, thanks guys.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I started a flat half with cabbage the other half with cauliflower. Last night.
Gona try my hand at some kraut this year.
Personaly I've never liked cooked cauliflower. I've always like it best raw. But I've grown very fond of it pickled. I have a feeling we will be pickleing a lot of stuff this year.

Nice to know about the Detroit reds Jimbo. :thumbup: I mite have to just go get some more seeds. I'm gona grow extra. And use it as fodder for the animals. I gota make sure I get mine too. :mrgreen:

Tater the corn and beans sound good.

You guys are making me want to try all kinds of stuff this year.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Just about anything tastes great when it's pickled, just like making sausage, just about anything will work. Can't say I've tried pickled tomatoes though, might have to give that a go this year. We usually pickle cucumbers, esparagus, green beans and beets. A buddy of mine makes some damn fine pickled okra that just goes great with cold beer on a hot summer day.

We've made just about every kind of sausage too, coon, beaver, deer, and I'm making a batch of snow goose sausage this weekend.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Prairiepiss wrote:Nice to know about the Detroit reds Jimbo. :thumbup: I mite have to just go get some more seeds. I'm gona grow extra. And use it as fodder for the animals. I gota make sure I get mine too. :mrgreen:
Be advised that my horses and chickens won't touch 'em.

tp
bonehead
Novice

Post by bonehead »

ever try making snow goose jerky? it is great.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

You can use the tail feathers as toothpicks too. How handy.

tp
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Rivver, I like the pickled okra too - the hot ones. Only had it from the grocery store - never tried making it. It might be a little tricky to blanch. I could see it turning into a snotty mess. I like okra pan fried too - similar to FGT or squash.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Pickled okra! Now ya talking good stuff. Good pan fried to in a little bacon grease!
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

ga flatwoods wrote:Salt pepper and corn meal! Fry in bacon grease if ya have any or along with the fried fish just ahead of the hush puppies! Damn it man! Good stuff!
I am from down under

have never had fried green tomatoes

translations

corn meal ( very hard to get hear ) is polenta or similar

bacon grease ( cannot buy here ) is the fat from fried bacon

and lastly --- green tomatoes are dark green or are they pale just before they ripen == have to grow not easy to buy here

how long to cook == until the corn meal toasts

sounds worth a try :thumbup:
The Friendly Spirit
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

You would be hard pressed to find Bacon grease for sale here to. Just save it up from cooking up Bacon.
Really you can use any breading you want. If you have a favorites that you use for fish or any other fried food. Give it a try.
You want the tomatoes to be firm. But not hard. And not soft. The color isn't really relevant. Different varieties will have different colors of green. Before the ripen. It will take a few tries to figure out what works best. They soften up when fried. So if they are soft going in. They will be mush coming out. If they are to hard. They come out hard. So finding the good middle ground. Is the hard part.

But you should defiantly try it. if you like fried foods. This is one everyone should try. And I haven't found anyone that doesn't like them. Well I did meet a guy that didn't like tomatoes any way. He didn't stay in my friends list. How can someone not like tomatoes?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Forgive me if I missed something in this thread . We pressure can all the green tomatoes left in the garden just after first fall frost . Green cherry tomatoes are canned whole . Larger green tomatoes are sliced , 3/8" or so , and packed in jars and pressure canned .
During the winter we drain these tomatoes and flour them and then fry them in bacon grease . They have a much milder flavor than a fresh fried green tomato and are available to us year round . Just a simple water pack pressure can with no spices added until they are being prepared for the table .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Truckinbutch wrote:Forgive me if I missed something in this thread . We pressure can all the green tomatoes left in the garden just after first fall frost . Green cherry tomatoes are canned whole . Larger green tomatoes are sliced , 3/8" or so , and packed in jars and pressure canned .
During the winter we drain these tomatoes and flour them and then fry them in bacon grease . They have a much milder flavor than a fresh fried green tomato and are available to us year round . Just a simple water pack pressure can with no spices added until they are being prepared for the table .
Thanks about the fall canning tip Butch. Pressure canner has been on my wanna buy list for awhile and will be getting one this summer to do deer in the freezer as well as peppers and tomatoes.Cold packing will work for some food stuffs but I prefer the safety of the pressure canner. Experienced neighbor lady will be helping me on my first couple of runs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-American-92 ... 338ac1cd32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

FMH
Blah, blah, blah,........
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Hey any pot deep enough to submerge jars more than an inch will work, Blanche food pack in jar, cover with near boiling water a pinch of salt leave 1/4-1/2 in head space submerge and bring to a boil cover the pot leave at a low simmer- boil for an hour. Remove jars using a jar lifter and place in a towel on the counter away from draft then listen for that magic sound of jars sealing up one of the best sounds ever. Canning is easy any one can do it, kinda like other hobbies be safe and take you time. Best food ever comes from those jars when you pop that dude open, our family tradition was to not open a jar until 30 days after frost, or at the first snow. Melloman
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Melloman, sounds like we come from similar backgrounds. My Mama and both Grandmas canned and probably learned it from their Mamas. I learned what little I know about it from watching them. Never seen any of them use a recipe. It was an intuitive process. They made jams and jellies, canned vegetables and fruits, and every kind of pickle and relish you could imagine. Great Grandpa made saurkraut. Wonder why it is that the men folk made the saurkraut - go figure.

My Mama would drag my brother and I out to the countryside every year to pick blackberries, apples, green beans, peaches, grapes, tomatoes and whatever else some friend might offer up. The worst part of it was chokin' down a spoonfull of molasses w/sulfur to keep the chiggers away. Didn't find out til years later that you could buy the sulfur in pill form at the drug store.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

S-C, we are very much alike, I was born in South Carolina, one side of the family from Spartanburg SC the other from Missouri transplants from Kentucky. We were pretty poor by way of the dollar but rich in the nutrient of life, love and good food and family. We all learned to cook, can, preserve, raise, feed, nurture,plant, grow, butcher,and harvest for your life summer, winter, spring and fall. If you ain't got a good larder you ain't got nothing. That's why we like this hobby we are creating and preserving, doing for ourselves. That's in our DNA lasting effects of doing with out, preparing to have plenty. Enjoying every bit, folks from the south have a diehard spirit. I love creating good things and enjoying good things, life a good happy life. Melloman.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Just got done making a gallon of blueberry jam with/for my grand kids.herd last jar seal few minutes ago. And making them a blueberry milkshake with berries that were left .Right now grand pas up there with spider man and dora the explorer :ebiggrin:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Melloman wrote:S-C, we are very much alike, I was born in South Carolina, one side of the family from Spartanburg SC the other from Missouri transplants from Kentucky. We were pretty poor by way of the dollar but rich in the nutrient of life, love and good food and family. We all learned to cook, can, preserve, raise, feed, nurture,plant, grow, butcher,and harvest for your life summer, winter, spring and fall. If you ain't got a good larder you ain't got nothing. That's why we like this hobby we are creating and preserving, doing for ourselves. That's in our DNA lasting effects of doing with out, preparing to have plenty. Enjoying every bit, folks from the south have a diehard spirit. I love creating good things and enjoying good things, life a good happy life. Melloman.
Amen bubba.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

I've got a pair of Duroc x old G spot barrows about 300lbs gonna make some good Bbqs all summer long and lard n bacon grease for all them fried veggies, some decent oak aged hooch, garden to plant, my spring outlook freakin awesome. Melloman
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Tater, I'd like that jam, hot biscuit oh man.