rifles

Moderator: Site Moderator

bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: rifles

Post by bentstick »

Agree RD have built 3 AR's each one unique for the setup its self,and its very rewarding to take out and punch holes in paper outback in the yard,next up is a 300 black out.
It is what you make it
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Just got a marlin model 60 .22 on the cheap. 140 bucks w a Bushnell scope. Has the 14 rnd tube. 1977 model, takes me back to my youth.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Just finished building a custom FClass gun in .223. Piece action, pac nor barrel, Sightron scope and McMillan stock. 600-1000 yard competitions.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

BoisBlancBoy wrote:Just finished building a custom FClass gun in .223. Piece action, pac nor barrel, Sightron scope and McMillan stock. 600-1000 yard competitions.
photos or it didnt hapen.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Got my CPL and a new Desert Eagle 1911G 45 ACP.
Got a nice Bianchi holster too!
It's really very nice and goes with my MK7 DE in 44Mag.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Walked in to a local sporting goods store needing a new pocketknife and wound up with a new Ruger Mini-14 in SS.
Optics is a Bushnell scope in 2x7x35mm. I just got three 10rd nickle coated mags in the post and a harmonic stabilizer with integral fully adjustable gas block is also on its way. A trigger job at Accuracy Systems is also likely in the works.
It'll look kinda like this when it's done.
Long-5.250.gif
Yeah, I'm excited. :thumbup:

tp
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I don't own a mini 14 but I think I'm going to buy one in in an ak caliber. My wife keeps bugging me about an 44 eagle.... why in the hell .... I mean neither one makes good sense.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Allmyexsliveinhell wrote:Just got a marlin model 60 .22 on the cheap. 140 bucks w a Bushnell scope. Has the 14 rnd tube. 1977 model, takes me back to my youth.
That is a good rifle,
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Marlin makers a great rifle...I salivate over the Marlin Model 1895SBL. It's cambered in .45-70 GOV'T which is a HUGE round...but it's a $1000 rifle, just a little above my pocket money right now.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

Depends on your type of huntin, Uncle Jess.

For stalking through brush and covering ground,
the .30-30 has been a go to since the turn of the century.
It's light, short, and packs enough punch to get the job done. It is still an iconic deer-thumper to this day.

For reaching out across a field or valey, .30-06 and .270 take the cake. However, .308 is a 30-06 shortened and fattened, and short brass is much cheaper these days and gaining popularity.

A 12ga slugger cant be beat for sitting in a stand, and again the .30-30 is well suited for swinging around while strapped to a tree.

I was 100% sure my next purchase would be a .270, but recently test drove a 6.5 creedmore and it drove like a caddillac! So soft on recoil, similar ballistics to .270, short brass, and becoming more availabe in both ammo and platforms.

There's still a spot in my heart for the 7mm rem mag, but I love to shoot, and 7mm is a bit pricey and I don't live where a 1 mile+ shot will ever happen :-(

For now, 6.5 creedmore looks pretty darn good.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

My first long gun was a Winchester model 94 in 30-30. It makes a great “coyote gun”, for the very reasons you gave fruit squeezer. I still have it in the gun safe. But I don’t use it much any more.

I have a Savage model 10 in .308, a Savage 110 BA in .300 WM (for when you need to reach a target 1200 to 1600 yards away), and of course, a .556 AR-15 (everybody’s got one, right?).

For upland game (bird) hunting, I have a 12ga Remington model 11-87. It is light and accurate.

I’m pretty well covered for now, although that Creedmor round is gaining a lot of momentum.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

Sorry, I tend to get sucked into old topics by not checking the date. This one's from 2007.
Reminds me I have to clean out my fridge.
Lol.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hey, there's nothing wrong with old!

Geoff
The Baker
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

damned right Baker, with age comes knowledge an experience. For what its worth, you ought to be into reloading you ammo. Having a great rifle is fine but if you feed it crap, you get crap results. When you control the the ammo you can really fine tune your shots.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

still_stirrin wrote:a .556 AR-15 (everybody’s got one, right?).
Not yet...I'd still like to build an AR...I got into AK builds when I found a parts kit on-line for $80...made several now, Kalashnikov is an easy home build...the AR seems a little more demanding, but ya don't know till ya try! Just like stillen!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Anyone paying attention to the US military’s switch to a new caliber for assault riffles? With the advances in body armor, they are moving to a heavier round at the expense of some accuracy.

.223 rounds are everywhere because of the standard set by the military. With mass production comes cheaper and more readily available ammo. Just wondering if anyone is considering a switch to or addition of the new caliber?

Food for thought if you are starting a new build.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

OtisT wrote:Just wondering if anyone is considering a switch to or addition of the new caliber? Food for thought if you are starting a new build.Otis
Defiantly something to check out.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Here’s my custom built .223 for FTR competition shooting. Used to be a stock Remington .204 VSSF 2.

Had the action blueprinted, the bolt timed and firing pin hole bushed, KTS stock from Kelblys, Pac Nor barrel, Sightron 8x32 scope, Timney trigger
Attachments
53EB4BD7-839A-49A9-AB88-35D12BCE2829.jpeg
05A4852A-56E3-4FE7-AFBB-7D454470B0DB.jpeg
537AE9C1-13A0-4A96-B3BB-F433FC15D8D7.jpeg
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

BoisBlancBoy wrote:Here’s my custom built .223 for FTR competition shooting. Used to be a stock Remington .204 VSSF 2.
Had the action blueprinted, the bolt timed and firing pin hole bushed, KTS stock from Kelblys, Pac Nor barrel, Sightron 8x32 scope, Timney trigger
That is pretty cool 8)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

thecroweater wrote:
BoisBlancBoy wrote:Here’s my custom built .223 for FTR competition shooting. Used to be a stock Remington .204 VSSF 2.
That is pretty cool 8)

Thank you. I’m very happy with how it turned out.

For those of you that may not know FTR competitions are 600-1000 yard shoots.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Almost kept a Parker Hale set up similar years ago but didn't do enough competition to warrant it, the owner of that gun got silver in the commonwealth games many years back. Fair to stat it was a beautiful comp gun but too clumsy as a hunt gun, that same fella gets a mention here in the liars bench a few years back as the joker carting orange bins in passed on my leapfrogging tractor doing 80 down hill in angel gear. Dunno what the look on his face was when he took out silver but couldn't have been more shocked than the look on his mug than when I flew passed him on a W7 Inter all over the road like a mad woman's shit, he had some beautiful Sako's too and even a really old but deadly accurate 303 competition rifle that won him gold at various international shoots way back ( he was a WWII sniper)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

No pics to share . Winter project is a steel plate 4'x4' dinger for 300 to 1k yd shooting here on the farm . Some of the local boys invited to shoot here are concerned that they may strain their rifle barrels trying to shoot that far . I think my AR10 .308 , 7Mag Ruger , and Pedersoli 45-70 Sharps will all make the trip .
I'm not trying to compete . My goal is to teach these local boys that their rifles are capable of shooting further than they are until they learn more . No money involved in this until they start betting ammongst themselves . Civilian Marksmanship at it's finest .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I have cut a few targets out for the local gun club here. Typically use either 3/8 or 1/2 inch AR 500 for material.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Whackin' on steel plates with anything that goes bang is the very definition of fun!
I have a .75 caliber cannon we've been trying to hit a 16"x20" plate with at 135 yards lately.
We've gotten within 24" so far. :esmile:

tp
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

my most recent build is what is known on the internet as the one pound rifle, or the pak-rifle

they are based off the cricket, chipmunk, or ranger kid rifles. I did not spring for the carbon

barrel so mine weighs 1lb.8 with the titanium tube stock. testing will follow some day hopefully.

T-pee I made a 300 yard hit on a 2 foot gong with a 3"coehorn morter it was the only cannon

hit in a 3 day shoot. the ball actually over shot the gong by 50-60 feet bounced off the cliff behind

and hit the gong in the backside. there was a standing ovation. there will be no discussion

of the powder and shot expended in 3 days.
be water my friend
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

cob wrote:...there will be no discussion

of the powder and shot expended in 3 days.
I feel lucky I only expend one lead ball, 170 grains of Pyrodex, 4 squares of tp and 2" of 3.3mm fuse per round. :?

tp (not the ones in the cannon)
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Fixin to build a 3'x4' gong target for all the local boys to try . Making it wider than tall because windage seems to be rougher than elevation to calculate from 500 to 1k yds . Putting a shelf on the bottom for a bonus prize of binary explosive for the ones that figure out how to ring the gong .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

T-Pee wrote:Walked in to a local sporting goods store needing a new pocketknife and wound up with a new Ruger Mini-14 in SS.
Optics is a Bushnell scope in 2x7x35mm. I just got three 10rd nickle coated mags in the post and a harmonic stabilizer with integral fully adjustable gas block is also on its way. A trigger job at Accuracy Systems is also likely in the works.
It'll look kinda like this when it's done.
Long-5.250.gif
Yeah, I'm excited. :thumbup:

tp
I love a mini 30
Nice little rifle
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Truckinbutch wrote:Fixin to build a 3'x4' gong target for all the local boys to try . Making it wider than tall because windage seems to be rougher than elevation to calculate from 500 to 1k yds . Putting a shelf on the bottom for a bonus prize of binary explosive for the ones that figure out how to ring the gong .
been to this event a few times. http://riflebarrels.com/shooting-dynami ... 200-yards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow.

at the time there were 2 other locations closer to home for similar events. out to a mile.

BUT progress has all but erased those locations for any kind of shooting. (urban sprawl)
be water my friend
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cob wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:Fixin to build a 3'x4' gong target for all the local boys to try . Making it wider than tall because windage seems to be rougher than elevation to calculate from 500 to 1k yds . Putting a shelf on the bottom for a bonus prize of binary explosive for the ones that figure out how to ring the gong .
been to this event a few times. http://riflebarrels.com/shooting-dynami ... 200-yards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow.

at the time there were 2 other locations closer to home for similar events. out to a mile.

BUT progress has all but erased those locations for any kind of shooting. (urban sprawl)
I hear Ya ! Almost 1.2 miles diagonal across my place and I got no plans for moving in the near future . Just like to stick around to piss those yuppy neighbors that don't like what the rest of us do .