rifles

Moderator: Site Moderator

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: rifles

Post by nerdybrewer »

I have a license that allows me to collect older firearms and have them shipped directly to me instead of to a 3rd party where I would have to fill out a form and go through a background check.
I have been collecting old weapons from former Soviet block countries.
My most recent was a 1933 Mosin Nagant.
It shoots the 7.62x54R cartridge, which is quite a hoot to shoot.
I like that cartridge so much I started looking for a modern firearm that also shoots it.
I found there are a few, the Romanian PSL, the Molot Vepr, the Dragunov's and the Zastava M91 among others.
Most of those are now banned under an Obama ban that IMHO was ill conceived.
However Zastava came here and set up shop with Zastava USA.
I already have an old Zastava weapon in my collection so I was curious about their rifle.
After doing some research I decided it's the one for me.
Since it's modern it will have to go to my FFL dealer and I'll pick it up from him after paying fees and taxes.
But soon it will be mine.
It sports a 4x24 scope with illuminated reticle and from what I've heard is the "best of" this type of firearm.
Really looking forward to getting it out on the range.
If you are curios think AK-47 only bigger and beefier.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

My Christmas present to me was a new carbine. Specifically a brand new model 1927 A1 Thompson complete with a 50 rd drum and a 30 rd stick. Spent a little extra and had it come in a violin case. Damn is it fun to shoot. Accurate enough at 50 yds to put 5 rds in a single torn hole. Have to spend a lotta time loading 45 ACP tho’ :ewink:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Just a couple of pics of my favorite "shooting irons." With 35 different guns, it's hard to decide which ones to drag out to the range.
20180407_190953.jpg
20180407_191032.jpg
20180407_190327.jpg
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Here is my latest build. Howa 1500 in 6.5 Creedmoor threaded heavy barrel. Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50, Bell and Carlson stock with adjustable check weld, Timmy trigger, Harris bipod, And a really nice muzzle brake that I got for Christmas from a friend. Don’t remember who made it. I have the adapter for removable mags with a 5 and a 10 rnd mags.

I also picked up dies, bullets, New brass, powder, and primers to reload. Along with a chronograph, range finder, and a handheld weather meter with ballistics calculator. To help work up some good loads for it. Also picked up QuickLOAD Internal ballistics software. I have been wanting it for a long time now.

I’m looking into getting into long range precision shooting. Depends on how well I do at long ranges out past 300 yards. :lol: I already shoot USPSA and some IDPA and Steel Chalange for up close go fast shooting. Handgun, PCC, Shotgun, and Rifle in multigun. So why not try my hand at long range? :twisted:

AD76DCD8-6EE3-4702-B4A8-4794D9EC7011.jpeg
My competition handgun and PCC rigs.
91B9389C-AFBB-44B2-9692-C5AA96AAFE9C.jpeg
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Euphoria wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:54 am " With 35 different guns, it's hard to decide which ones to drag out to the range.
I've been out of the gun collection mode for a few years now but still have over 20 (haven't taken inventory lately). I do realize the benefits that synthetic stocks can provide (durability, no warpage, superior bedding, etc). It is fine to have a “working gun” that will endure a scratch or bad weather. I have a couple. But I vastly prefer the aesthetics of wood “furniture” to injection-molded or Choate synthetic stocks.

Of course my collection is decidedly on the cheap side compared to what I would like to have. I've had guns that I did not want to get rid of too. For example a friend hocked 2 of his G43 s and an HK91 to me for cash money one time. Unfortunately about a year later he returned to collect them with ca$h + interest.
changeshot004b.jpg
changeshot004b.jpg (13.06 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
Omnia mea mecum porto
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

contrahead wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:16 pm
Euphoria wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:54 am " With 35 different guns, it's hard to decide which ones to drag out to the range.
I've been out of the gun collection mode for a few years now but still have over 20 (haven't taken inventory lately). I do realize the benefits that synthetic stocks can provide (durability, no warpage, superior bedding, etc). It is fine to have a “working gun” that will endure a scratch or bad weather. I have a couple. But I vastly prefer the aesthetics of wood “furniture” to injection-molded or Choate synthetic stocks.

Of course my collection is decidedly on the cheap side compared to what I would like to have. I've had guns that I did not want to get rid of too. For example a friend hocked 2 of his G43 s and an HK91 to me for cash money one time. Unfortunately about a year later he returned to collect them with ca$h + interest.

changeshot004b.jpg My collection is on the cheap side , too . Mel Forbes and I have been best friends for over 50 years and I have yet to acquire one of his Ultralight Arms rifles . Out of my budget for the use it would get .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Contra, that one took my breath away!
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I like me some wood furniture. I just don’t have much. I have a few pieces. But my attention at the moment is mostly competition stuff. And most of it ends up being synthetic of some sort. I bought a Bell and Carlson stock for the one I posted above. Mainly because it has a aluminum bedding plate. And doesn’t need a whole lot of bedding work done if any. But I was about to buy a nice wood benchrest stock for it. Just didn’t want to hassle with bedding it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Eventually I would like to get into cowboy shooting. Would be nice to have some nice wood pieces for that. If I could just find some that I wouldn’t Have to win the lotto to buy. LoL
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Prairiepiss wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:32 pm Eventually I would like to get into cowboy shooting. Would be nice to have some nice wood pieces for that. If I could just find some that I wouldn’t Have to win the lotto to buy. LoL
I've been into Cowboy Action Shooting, (SASS Life Member,) for well over a dozen years now. Lotsa fun, but due to COVID-19 restrictions, no group shooting events are allowed at the range these days. Seems we haven't had a "shoot" in longer than I can remember. I get my first COVID-19 vaccination shot next Thursday, so hopefully, if most folks will also get them, as they become available, and the numbers of cases goes down, we may be able to get back out and shoot again someday. Kinda been missing it.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

We still having USPSA shoots. But hell I can’t afford the ammo or find it for that mater to go shoot in a match. I think they are having a level 2 match today. Wish I could go. But then again it’s cold out there right now. LoL
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Prairiepiss wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 am We still having USPSA shoots. But hell I can’t afford the ammo or find it for that mater to go shoot in a match. I think they are having a level 2 match today. Wish I could go. But then again it’s cold out there right now. LoL
Yes, and the prices for things like primers is through the roof.
I'm really glad I had a goal of at least 1K rounds per firearm and having plenty of supplies for reloading before this happened.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

nerdybrewer wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:07 pm
Prairiepiss wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 am We still having USPSA shoots. But hell I can’t afford the ammo or find it for that mater to go shoot in a match. I think they are having a level 2 match today. Wish I could go. But then again it’s cold out there right now. LoL
I'm really glad I had a goal of at least 1K rounds per firearm and having plenty of supplies for reloading before this happened.
I have my rifles dialed in . Plan to hoard ammo I have left until the situation stabilizes .
If it doesn't , I will resupply from the opforces as long as I last .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
EM Jellinek
Novice

Post by EM Jellinek »

“Opforces”? Define.
My interest in distilling is purely academic.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

EM Jellinek wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:32 am “Opforces”? Define.
Unless I am mistaken that's short for "opposing forces".
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Truckinbutch wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:36 pm
I have my rifles dialed in . Plan to hoard ammo I have left until the situation stabilizes .
How it going Truckinbutch.
I need to dial in a few guns. But then I will probably not be wasting much ammo.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Prairiepiss wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:37 pm
Truckinbutch wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:36 pm
How it going Truckinbutch.
I need to dial in a few guns. But then I will probably not be wasting much ammo.
Goin tolerable . Got the cast off my right arm yesterday . Can handle my arms with the strong hand now . Gives me more confidence .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

EM Jellinek wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:32 am “Opforces”? Define.
Those opposing you . You recover their supplies and arms from their bodies . Then you are armed the same way they are .
EM Jellinek
Novice

Post by EM Jellinek »

The 7.62X39 kind, or the 5.56X45 kind? Asking for a friend.
:wink:
My interest in distilling is purely academic.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

EM Jellinek wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:42 am The 7.62X39 kind, or the 5.56X45 kind? Asking for a friend.
:wink:
Both
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Lots of rich guys on this thread... I would be perfectly happy with an old lee enfield and a reasonably accurate 22.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

tiramisu wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:42 pm Lots of rich guys on this thread... I would be perfectly happy with an old lee enfield and a reasonably accurate 22.
Rich don't matter priorities do. :P

TB glad your arm is on the mend. :thumbup:
be water my friend
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

tiramisu wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:42 pm Lots of rich guys on this thread... I would be perfectly happy with an old lee enfield and a reasonably accurate 22.
I'm far from rich . The love of dependable arms and the proficient use of them is what binds us ,
I'm as happy nailing a 10" bull with my old '98 Mauser at 300 yds with open sights or the same with my .45/70 Sharps as I am nailing a thousand yd target with one of my long range rifles .
Being good with what you got is the trick .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cob wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:25 pm
Rich don't matter priorities do. :P

TB glad your arm is on the mend. :thumbup:
Thanks for the good wishes . Still having difficulties field stripping my 1911 that needs some serious cleaning . Takes time to recover .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

30D60A96-60CF-46FF-AC80-5D47A8C85AD8.jpeg
I luv a nice mauser but bought myself a new reach out n touch em stick. Savage 110 stealth in 300 win mag topped with a vortex viper 6,5-24.

Butch if ya need help with that 1911 ya know where i at
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jedneck wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:22 pm 30D60A96-60CF-46FF-AC80-5D47A8C85AD8.jpeg
I luv a nice mauser but bought myself a new reach out n touch em stick. Savage 110 stealth in 300 win mag topped with a vortex viper 6,5-24.

Butch if ya need help with that 1911 ya know where i at
Appreciate ya , Jed . Times being what they are both politically and weatherwise ; I think it's a good time to stick close to home . Grandson needs to learn the workings of a 1911 .
Fine looking rifle ya got there . Ya need to make that promised visit and try my thousand yd range when the climate eases .
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I looked up the long range range near me. Well not really near. But the closest one anyway. It’s only 2 hours away from the house. But they have a rifle range that goes out to 800 yards. Along with a few other shorter ones. And a few pistol ranges and trap ranges. They have 600 yard F class shoots monthly along with some 2 gun and trap shoots. They also international benchrest shoots. Anyway membership is only $100 a year. I think I am going to apply for a membership. And I am kinda interested in the F class competition.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Not planning on going to a true range. Buddy has a farm n we can get 800 yards plus. And another can get 1100+. At 70+ grains of powder n $.50+ for bullet every trigger squeeze ain’t exactly cheap but damn its fun.

Do have a world class 1000yard range within 1.5 hour drive that may enter a bench match. But more interested in prs type shoooting
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

The upside of the range I belong to is that it's less than a mile from home.
The downside is the longest shoot is 200 yards.

There's a place I can go about 90 minutes away to get 1000 yards but everything has to be right, like nobody else wanting to use the place because there's just the one burm so if there's pistol shooters or whatever I can't set up at the long distance spot.

I need to explore more and see if I can find another long distance range within 2 hours of home.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

jedneck wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:22 pm I luv a nice mauser but bought myself a new reach out n touch em stick. Savage 110 stealth in 300 win mag topped with a vortex viper 6,5-24.
Nice looking rig you got there. As I gaze upon it with envy, it occurs to me that many people might not appreciate the particulars of scopes until they are confronted with the sticker shock of mounting a decent one.

(Oh. AT&T made that “reach out and touch someone” jingle popular with a TV commercial in the 1980's).

The prairie dogs in southern Colorado were usually educated well enough to dodge into a hole once a human got within 200 -300 yards. I had to buy a 22-250 to reach out and touch them. Then when I moved to where I live now, there were closer-uneducated prairie dogs in the fields just behind and to the sides of my house. So I bought a .17 HMR to touch them. After a few years though, other people moved into the area so I stopped shooting around the house. But then the new neighbors themselves began popping at the varmints with .22's. The new neighbors must not be very good shots because I hear 22 pops all summer long but we have no shortage of prairie dogs yet.

A prairie dog when standing up isn't any bigger than a beer can. Hitting one at 400 yards is a challenge. I once had the aspiration of marketing a genetically modified insect, who's sole purpose would be to act as a long range target. Something like a huge orange Lady Bug about the size of half a basketball. Something that moved and was filled with fluorescent bug juice so that you could view the hydro-static spray of a hit from far away. But realistically and as with prairie dogs, the PETA types would be offended and would eventually intrude.

Without remorse a protagonist can whup up on a TV zombie all day long. Post-apocalyptic, “walking dead” type TV shows or movies seem to be so popular for a simple reason. Today's writers have a difficult time creating original plots but they know they can reliably depend upon the modern audiences' appetite for violence. You can burn a zombie, hack it to pieces with a machete or blast it to pieces with a gun because zombies are hideous and are already past dead. No moral issues.

Seeing the modern advances in robots and flying drones, it would seem possible to design a robotic target that looked like a moving mutant orange lady bug, which also had an ugly zombie like face. You probably could not make them robust enough to survive repeated hits, but you might be able to make them affordable enough to sell in numbers. Perhaps a model featuring some tannerite inside would be a good seller.
Omnia mea mecum porto