rifles

Moderator: Site Moderator

Prairiepiss
retired

Re: rifles

Post by Prairiepiss »

The last time I posted in this thread I mentioned my dream of competing. Well Saturday will be my first match of this year. Shooting a new division this year. I started last year shooting USPSA Limited pistol. Changed over to Carry Optics halfway through the year. After I figured out my old eyes aren’t what they use to be. But this year I will be shooting PCC. Just finished building my competition 9mm AR. Got around 700 rounds through it in the last couple weeks. Big difference between shooting a rifle and a pistol in a close quarters situation. But damn if it’s not fun as all get out shooting a 9mm AR. Little too fun. It’s really hard to go slow and not get trigger happy. I so wish I had gotten into competition a long time ago. We try to hit two matches a month. This year we will be shooting a USPSA match and a Steel Challenge match each month. Haven’t shot a Steel Challenge match yet. So that will be new. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics I will.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Well due to the white supremacist attack in NZ the Anti-gun crowd have gone into overdrive here even though NZ gun laws bare no relation to ours what so ever. So we will see what will happen but the end game for these nut jobs is no guns or bows and most of the same lobby group would like to see fishing stamped out too. That's cool every country has whack jobs but it's unnerving when the media gives them credence so right now we have firearm owners being completely demonised and any politician with enough scruples to say it's ridiculous it getting shot down and or labeled a nazi. I've seen all this before and that time the most commonly used firearms were banned and licence fees (vice taxes) increased by over 1000% so here's to common sense prevailing this time round.
I read NZ is proposing a heap of bans but don't know if it will extend to the extent ours did.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I saw this headline this morning. I like what Missouri is doing.

http://thesentinel.net/politics/missour ... 3-10-vote/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

In an upcoming vote by Missouri’s state senate, the state is expected to pass a bill that would nullify ALL Federal gun laws and regulations, and make enforcement of those laws by federal officers within the State of Missouri a criminal offense.
I love it!....Now start doing this with distilling!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

From one gun owner to another
Let's talk about rifles and not politics :wink:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

From my cold , dead hands ; lying om a pile of hot , fired brass . Nothing political here . Just cold honest fact .
Been practicing my long range (to 1k yds) and night vision . Never know when that will come in handy .
Q........
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

Here in Ontario you can own a musket without a gun license, not trying to be political just decided to mention it at a bad time. Another bit of info is you can hunt with a musket in bow season not gun season.
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Muzzle loaders are a lot of fun. :thumbup:
One thing I learned early on about flint locks.
Shooting left handed is hard on a beard.
It's also difficult to hold steady while the lower half of your face is on fire :lol:
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Oh, F me. I laughed so hard i darned near pissed myself. The mental picture is just too funny. Stop. Just stop.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

shadylane wrote:Muzzle loaders are a lot of fun. :thumbup:
One thing I learned early on about flint locks.
Shooting left handed is hard on a beard.
It's also difficult to hold steady while the lower half of your face is on fire :lol:
I still have a .45 cal caplock I built in 1974 . Watching what you just described is what pushed me away from a flintlock . I could get in two more shots while my fellow 'Buckskinners' were slapping out beard fires . Didn't always happen to the 'lefties'.
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I have shot flintlocks a lot built some own several, BUT the only time

I ever caught my whiskers on fire was with flaming Wild Turkey :esurprised:
be water my friend
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cob wrote:I have shot flintlocks a lot built some own several, BUT the only time

I ever caught my whiskers on fire was with flaming Wild Turkey :esurprised:
And you should have . Why would you set fire to good likker that was supposed to end up in your belly ? Asked in fun , not dissin you .
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

G'day guys, I've just got permission to go shooting on a small islet we use to call goat island. These are fair sized goats and we use to use 243s 303s and 308s. The islet is about 1 mile by 3 miles and in one direction was the river with a high cliff on the opposite bank so high powered rifles were not a serious issue but the problem is now you have ppl building houses all over the place including one part way down the cliff.
What do you guys think is a safe caliber for me to use that will still have the punch to knock down moderate sized game ? I'm a little nervous to use my 243 unless I can fire directly west and square at the cliff but any other direction might be sketchy these days. I'm thinking something like a 30/30 might be a good tool for the job but would like to here from guys that know a bit more than I about shorter range trajectories on moderate to large game.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Well I shot my USPSA PCC match Saturday. Overall took 40th out of 95. And 14th out of 16 in my division. At least I wasn’t last place first time out in a new division for me. My accuracy was pretty good other then the 3 no shoots. But my time is killing me. I’m just too slow. I need to work on moving faster with this bigger gun. And in general. But the gun ran flawlessly. I do need to work on the mags a little so I can reload faster on the move. All in all it was a lot of fun. Learned a few things. Weak hand shooting and my transitions is in need of a lot of practice. Can’t wait till the next match.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

thecroweater wrote:G'day guys, I've just got permission to go shooting on a small islet we use to call goat island. These are fair sized goats and we use to use 243s 303s and 308s. The islet is about 1 mile by 3 miles and in one direction was the river with a high cliff on the opposite bank so high powered rifles were not a serious issue but the problem is now you have ppl building houses all over the place including one part way down the cliff.
What do you guys think is a safe caliber for me to use that will still have the punch to knock down moderate sized game ? I'm a little nervous to use my 243 unless I can fire directly west and square at the cliff but any other direction might be sketchy these days. I'm thinking something like a 30/30 might be a good tool for the job but would like to here from guys that know a bit more than I about shorter range trajectories on moderate to large game.
Lots of good choices, the classic, 30-30 or any number of lever guns in pistol cartridges. Ie 357, 44 mag. For the msr base, 350 legend, 450 bushmaster, 45 raptor, all straight wall pistol cartridges with rebated rim to function in semi autos.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah semi autos are out for me, our license categories are Divided into cat A B C and D but most ppl can forget about applying for C and D as these relate to semi autos , pump action shot guns and hand guns. You need to be able to prove very specific reason to get this, particularly pump actions and semi autos.
Most Aussies have a licence like this that covers rim fire, centre fire and shotguns that doesn't include semi autos but can include leaver actions or pump actions that are not shot guns. Each state has separate laws but are all similar, that said the Federal government says what can be imported. An example of this is lever action shotguns can't exceed a mag of 5 rounds to be imported but can be extended in SA but then to take that gun to the eastern states the extension would have to be removed :roll:
This is not any sort of political rant but just posting for the interest of you guys from different countries. I wasn't totally against all the gun reforms here but just certain aspects of it and the manner in which it was achieved
Attachments
IMG_0629.JPG
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I am sorry you have so many rules and regulations. There are bolt guns chambered in some of the pistol based cartridges, Ruger American is available in 450 bushmaster and if you reload it can be loaded faster than what can go in a msr.

Another option would be an t/c encore. They can be chambered in anything,
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

No outdoor writer pundit in the US will admit it , but the one caliber that has taken more game in the US is the .22 long rifle . Accuracy is more important than power .
You've been to my farm . I've killed over 100 whitetail deer with a Ruger MKll .22 pistol . Most 1 shot kills that dropped where they were shot .
Beyond that , I'd opt for a .30/30 Winchester .
Because , at the time , I shot 1K rounds a month I was comfortable to 200 yds with it or a .44 Rem Mag in a lever gun .
Good luck on your hunt .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Truckinbutch that was 45 years ago, and I can't believe you called Wild Turkey good likker :lolno:

The croweater all the recommendations above are good, just to muddy the water a little more,

I have seen double rifles as light as 7x57. as always consider ammo availability. here in the states

.762x39 is cheap and plentiful.
be water my friend
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Hmm do yaz mean .22WRF ? They are not exactly an off the self round around here but if you mean WMF well my old man does actually own a .22 magnum that I could in fact borrow. We basically use it for a long range small game gun or a fox dropper. I gues a well placed shot at a closer range may work although I hadn't considered that gun til now. Some time down the track I would like to get something between my .22 and the 243 but right now I just need a safe round to use in a semi settled area. My next purchase probably should be a shotgun made within the last century as my old Viking was made for black powder cartridges. If you get carried away with the loads you use in them those old Damascus steel barrels can unwind on ya.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I don't know the rules you are governed by but a nice bolt action rifle chambered in .22-250 is quite a versatile round. I would load them with a Hornady 52 grain sx bullet at 3700 FPS for small game and go to a 60 grain round nose at 3200 FPS for deer sized game. Very effective to 300 yards with good shot placement. If it is more readily available the .223 Remington is a close second .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

No matter what caliber you use its what safe feilds of fire you have. A 22lr will go for miles. Use what you have n just what feilds of fire
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jedneck wrote:No matter what caliber you use its what safe feilds of fire you have. A 22lr will go for miles. Use what you have n just what feilds of fire
Sound advice on any thread .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

On another thought , you could always start shooting a modern compound bow or cross bow. Most quality bows with a sight and release are quite accurate with practice to 60 plus yards. My friend killed his deer this year at 84 yards with a heart shot. A rangefinder makes it much more reliable also.
JD Hogg
Novice

Post by JD Hogg »

Being a Brit I gotta love my .303 Enfield !!! I used to get free ammo thanks to Canadian Rangers but that will end due to the switch to .308 I have many calibers of rifles but mainly shoot handguns. Big fan of the .45ACP and the 1911.
My "fun gun" is the modest .22lr
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

JD Hogg wrote:Being a Brit I gotta love my .303 Enfield
I'm the same...had to have one, "just like dear old Dad" except he was a Bren gunner...and I would "TRULY" love one of those!
I said at the time a got it...makes the Kalashnikov feel like a "Girly Gun"
Getting hung up all day on smiles
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Had two, one 1902 naval carbine and one WWII one with original Parker Hale sniper sights.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

I love my .303s, lots of fun to shoot, and ammo isn't crazy expensive. I've got three I shoot regularly, but my favourite is my no4 mk1*T. They're brutal to carry in the bush, but all that weight really helps knock down the recoil.

Day to day hunting, I use a Tikka T3 in .270win, love that rifle and round.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I use .303 brass to make .410 shot shells. I built an expander die to make .303 into straight wall cases.

they work well and are much less expensive than buying .410 at the store.
be water my friend
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Just picked up a Mossberg MVP .223 bolt action. Takes AR15 mags. The bolt action makes Cali 10-rounders last for a while. Good shooter too. :thumbup:

tp