rifles

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Re: rifles

Post by Sunshineer »

To many to list over 200 rifles and pistols in all different calibers modern and black powder both reload my own bullets also make my own powder and bullets anyone every have a question feel free to fire away. My favorite is double rifle in .54 cal. going to hunt Grizzly Bear in Alaska with it one day.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

cob wrote:I use .303 brass to make .410 shot shells. I built an expander die to make .303 into straight wall cases.
they work well and are much less expensive than buying .410 at the store.
That is a pretty cool idea, years ago I found a handful of brass 20 GA shells on the site of an abandoned 19th/ early 20th century police station up at Innamincka. I've heard before that 410 and 403s are a close match but I have to ask, how do ya seal the end up? I assume some sort of wadding?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

thecroweater wrote:
cob wrote:I use .303 brass to make .410 shot shells. I built an expander die to make .303 into straight wall cases.
they work well and are much less expensive than buying .410 at the store.
That is a pretty cool idea, years ago I found a handful of brass 20 GA shells on the site of an abandoned 19th/ early 20th century police station up at Innamincka. I've heard before that 410 and 403s are a close match but I have to ask, how do ya seal the end up? I assume some sort of wadding?
I use wood glue on the over card if I am not storing for any length of time.

otherwise I use clear fingernail polish for a waterproof (ya right) seal.

for the record 9.3x74R works perfect in the .410 without alteration however

that 9.3 brass is expensive and .303 can be had for almost nothing.

I use 2400 but you can use blackpowder also, it just takes diligent cleaning.
be water my friend
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I just bought a Taylor’s & Co Sharps 1874 Sporting Rifle in 45-70.
Always wanted one, it came up on Gunbroker and I won it.
New in box and I got it for hundreds less than retail.
That's going to be so much fun to shoot!!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Love the 45-70 I have a lever action Henry that is in the safe waiting for me to take her to the range these shells will also work for 410 shotgun shells .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Sunshineer wrote:Love the 45-70 I have a lever action Henry that is in the safe waiting for me to take her to the range these shells will also work for 410 shotgun shells .
45-70 will not fit in a .410 !!! case and rim are both to large of diameter.
be water my friend
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

nerdybrewer wrote:I just bought a Taylor’s & Co Sharps 1874 Sporting Rifle in 45-70.
Looking for ammo, checked cheaperthandirt & midway.
Anyone have a favorite site for 45-70 Gvt ammo?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

nerdybrewer wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:I just bought a Taylor’s & Co Sharps 1874 Sporting Rifle in 45-70.
Looking for ammo, checked cheaperthandirt & midway.
Anyone have a favorite site for 45-70 Gvt ammo?
i'll bet you enjoy that piece, good choice.

be sure you get the correct load for your gun as 45-70 ammo comes in many different flavors

from trapdoor to rolling block to sharps up to and including 3 lug mauser custom bolt action.

my mauser loads will blow up a trapdoor, possibly a rolling block, sharps is unknown.

contact the mfg. to determine what your sharps is made for. and or make damn sure

you are are getting the ammo that is safe in your sharps. happy shooting.

sorry i'm not more help on suppliers but all my 45-70 comes from my reloading bench.
be water my friend
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Thanks Cob, just sent them a request for information.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I have a Pedersoli that I love to shoot .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I took a hard look at a 45-110 paper cartridge Sharps but after a lot of research it looked like

the modern "improvements" to the sealing of the breach actually caused more problems than

improvements, then I decided I could just drop 110gr. of XX in my 39" .45 and reach similar results.

but I have always looked at the Quigley in 50-110 with a little drool in my whiskers.

and for the record I have400, 450, and 500gr projectiles for the mauser but have never

had the stones to load any thing heaver than 300gr. at full capacity. :crazy:
be water my friend
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I received this reply from Taylor's & Co:

"Any standard .45-70 govt round would be fine, even smokeless ammo is fine in that rifle.
We recommend Black Hills ammo as that is what we use all the time in the shop here, however there are other brand out there.
When you buy ammo for it just make sure it is not really hot .45-70 ammo like some companies produce for other types of rifles.
If you need anything else let us know. Thank you!"
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

My rifles are 30-06, 5.56/223, 7.62x39, 7.62x52, 30-30, and 22lr , oh and some 50 cal BP.
Handguns 9mil, 45, 40, 380.
I reload all the rounds but have enough ammo for now.
My SG's are 12 and 410.
I also have my trusty 50-year old 22 cal Benjamin Pump.
I suppose my main rifle if needed would be the 22lr. Plink the object, then if plinking did not deter, bring out the larger calibers.
So far my ten shepherds have kept nefarious characters from thinking about entering the property. I do know there is one out there though who will try one day. Hopefully they won't bother my pups because it would just annoy me, and I'd have to get out of my recliner.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

.223 nato
.223 nato
762×39 sks
762×39 draco
762×39full size ak47
.22lr
.22lr
.22lr
Handguns are
9mm 9mm 9mm (glock17)
Kids love plinking with me but only .22 and .223 the 30 cals kick too hard and the boys wont shoot 45 but my daughter is a boss at all she can group within 3-4 inches at 350 yards with an acog on top
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

nerdybrewer wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:31 am I received this reply from Taylor's & Co:

"Any standard .45-70 govt round would be fine, even smokeless ammo is fine in that rifle.
We recommend Black Hills ammo as that is what we use all the time in the shop here, however there are other brand out there.
When you buy ammo for it just make sure it is not really hot .45-70 ammo like some companies produce for other types of rifles.
If you need anything else let us know. Thank you!"
After going through a few boxes of factory loads I bought the little Lee reloader for 45-70, a box of bullets, box of primers and a bottle of powder.
Shooting for less than 30 cents a round beats the heck out of factory load prices!
It's also a good thing to show the young'uns that it can be done and how to do it.

The 6x Malcolm scope I put on it is zeroed at 200 yards at the very bottom of the mount. I can hit 100 very easily by just holding about a foot under the bullseye. It's a really fun gun to shoot, my 19 year old daughter had never shot a firearm before and wanted to try it. After a lot of safety talk and setting her up in a sitting position with my shooting sticks she did it and did it well. May as well start out on big bore, everything else seemed easy after that!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Took my kids out shooting a couple of weeks back and they had a ball. Set some targets up and the little tikes never missed one. It was just a .22 lever action which is a great little gun for kids to learn on, I did get a shock that they were bang on target every shot though, seems they must have had a hell of an instructor :moresarcasm:
After that I took em for a bit of a hunt where we got a couple of bunnies that I took back for my uncle. They were quite fascinated to watch him skin and gut them, being that they haven't grown up I had almost expected an ew yuk reaction but was pleasantly surprised. They can't wait until next time.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

My grankids love going to the range with ‘granpa’. The young man loves ‘loud’ guns like like the .556 and 9mm. The granddaughter is pure death on steel with a .22 Semi-auto. Granpa just loves teachin’ ‘em. :D
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

This needed a bump.
Im A Pirate.png
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

My latest gun purchase was a Mossberg Shockwave 12 gauge.
I put the Crimson Trace green laser saddle on it and the minishell adapter and it's loaded with 8+1 slugs.
Now that's what I'm calling a good time!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I just got a 20 gauge turkey gun (mossberg) and a mossberg 500 pump when I was 18 I could pump 2-300 rounds just fucking off cos it was fun but now at 34 I shot 10 out of each and still felt it in my shoulder the next day
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Well I'm approaching twice your age but I really enjoy shooting still.
I did have my right shoulder reconstructed a few years ago and I am right handed so being able to go out and shoot a bunch of 12 Gauge and 45-70 and 44 Mag in a day is proof that surgeon knows his stuff.
I hope to get him to do my left shoulder later this year, once the state lets them get back to business.

Anyway ideally I'll be out Saturday running some 12 gauge slugs through the shockwave, can't wait to hear those things hit plate steel.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

My ‘virus’ project was a 50’s era Remington 722 in 300 Savage. Restocked, tuned, new 4-12x Nikon optics, and completely reblued. She’s a beauty. Reloading with IMR4064 and Hornady brass & ball.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Picked up this 1956 Husqvarna Vapenfabriks .243 Model 1600 for free at the beginning of the year. "Wouldn't shoot flat." Messed with it for a few months, got the stock bedding correct, removed some material where the foregrip was touching the barrel. Replaced the scope mount with a Leupold base (1 pc) and standard low rings. The aftermarket stock and scope (Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x50) came with it for free. It was the 2nd time the gun was handed off for free (a missed deer with make a man hate a gun). It's a laser beam now. :thumbup:
Husky.jpg
Sled.jpg
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I wish I hadn't found this thread. LOL
Guns are my other dirty little habbit. Ive got a few. Several evil black rifles, and some nice wooden stock bang sticks as well.
.223/5.56, 300 blackout, 308, 7.62X39, all "Self Defense Carbines". Not Assault rifles. (See what I did there?)
Lever action 22 Henry, bolt action 30.06, Ruger 10/22. I want a Lever action 357, and Lever action 44 mag, just haven't come across the sweet deal yet. And a 12 gage.
Revolvers, I got a few, 22's, 38, 357, and 44.
Semi auto pistols, a couple of 22s, 45, and 9mm.
Of course, I have to mention my black power cannon chambered in "golf Ball". :mrgreen: She's a heavy pig, and dont get out much other than to make noise on NYE and the 4th of July. FWIW, 2 ounces of black Powder will launch a golf ball at 1150 fps through a chrono, and send it farther than you care to walk looking for it in the open desert. A golf ball is stronger than the doors of an old 77 ford pick up truck at 1150fps. but a hard wad of aluminum foil, just makes a hell of a dent as it spalls on impact. :ewink:

I wont get into the NFA toys here, but SWMBO says "No more stamp collecting!"
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:54 am I wish I hadn't found this thread. LOL
Guns are my other dirty little habbit. Ive got a few. Several evil black rifles, and some nice wooden stock bang sticks as well.
.223/5.56, 300 blackout, 308, 7.62X39, all "Self Defense Carbines". Not Assault rifles. (See what I did there?)
Lever action 22 Henry, bolt action 30.06, Ruger 10/22. I want a Lever action 357, and Lever action 44 mag, just haven't come across the sweet deal yet. And a 12 gage.
Of course, I have to mention my black power cannon chambered in "golf Ball". :mrgreen: She's a heavy pig, and dont get out much other than to make noise on NYE and the 4th of July. FWIW, 2 ounces of black Powder will launch a golf ball at 1150 fps through a chrono, and send it farther than you care to walk looking for it in the open desert. A golf ball is stronger than the doors of an old 77 ford pick up truck at 1150fps. but a hard wad of aluminum foil, just makes a hell of a dent as it spalls on impact. :ewink:

We should get together.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

nerdybrewer wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:36 pm
Deplorable wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:54 am I wish I hadn't found this thread. LOL

We should get together.
Hey, I may need a tutor in the craft.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I had about 30 guns 10 years ago. I had everything from 50 BMG, to 45-70, to 2 Steyer AUG's and AR's and AK's in several calibers, to 45ACP to 5.7x28. Since then I've dwindled it down to only a few. Shoulder surgeries and getting tired of spending money shooting, I've cut it back. I now only have a G19 and a Ruger MKIV for for carry and hunting pistols, a Benelli and a Savage Stevens SxS shotgun for hunting, a 1942 Garand with a Criterion barrel(my only "fun gun"), and some lightweight AR's in all sizes but all in 6.5 Grendel for hunting and possibly home defense if I need it. Everything now has to be made with modern materials, as lightweight as possible, and modular. Except for the Garand and Savage Stevens.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Do we have a topic on hand guns in other hobbies and projects?
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

This is a great topic, even if it doesn’t pertain to distilling.

My favorite rifle has to be my single shot 22 magnum lever action. It was my first firearm that I got for Christmas when I was young. I shot mice in the corn crib, hunted rabbits, and all sorts of critters with it.

I’m old now, and I have had a number of firearms since, but that old 22 is still the best rifle in my collection. I still shoot it every now and then when I take the grandson rabbit hunting, but my aim isn’t what it use to be. I still love it though.
Prole
Novice

Post by Prole »

don't have much use for firearm and think they provide a false sense of power. I do have a rifle though -- a 1914 British Enfield made early in WWI by British small arms -- they couldn't up production. This rifle was never used and was "sporterized" meaning the top wood was removed but it is in prime condition. It was my father's and have fired it once -- quite a kick.