who here hunts and fish

Moderator: Site Moderator

stxhunter
Novice

Re: who here hunts and fish

Post by stxhunter »

I'm in west tx, going to hunt hogs and turkeys this weekend.
God bless Texas-----------------------
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Found 80 more morels today, headed out to the big piney pictures in a day or two.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

The big piney was a blast caught a lot here are the keeper goggle eye, we landed 5 smallmouth over 15". The fishing was awesome.
Attachments
image.jpg
Tal
Swill Maker

Post by Tal »

:D South Island, New Zealand Brown Trout...
Attachments
183881_190746284289918_5533353_n.jpg
"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!"
stxhunter
Novice

Post by stxhunter »

buddy got one yesterday, i had to head home this morning. tracked another that was shot by another buddy from Wyoming for over a mile before losing the blood trail.

God bless Texas-----------------------
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

The great north-west here. Very avid moose hunter. Probably most important to me after family, stilling has become close though. Also do a little deer hunting, but it's almost too easy with the numbers of them 'round here. Don't really care for beef unless I gotta eat it, so moose each year fills the freezer. Small game is for ruffed grouse and maybe a rabbit or two each year. One fill of rabbit stew is good enough for me.

Fishing...year round thing. Being where I am there are so many fantastic clear clean freshwater lakes loaded with pickerel, pike and bass, and lake water you can still drink without boiling is fantastic. Ice fishing is also big. Netting smelts when they run in fall, and whitefish as well (although for whitefish make it a fun thing donning scuba gear and dive light and a fishing net in lake superior).

Can't wait for moose season this year. Big prospector tent with wood stove, snow on the ground, and run the still while watching g over the swamp or cut.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Did I mention that I am just pretty dadblamed jealous ? Goin up to the farm pond and catchin one bluegill and shootin one chipmunk on the way back to the house don't do much toward feedin a family . :(
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Moose season here runs from mid October through December. And here that usually means cold frosty mornings, or freezing rain. Or if it takes til December, it means trudging through waist deep or higher snow tracking, or sometimes -30 sitting outside watching over a cut. So that might help the jealousy a bit lol. Not to mention hauling them out...took four hours once to get a calf out we shot about 300 yards away, and almost as far down a steep hill full of major blow down from a storm.

And I think we all see grass greener on the other side, just to find out it's all the same grass. I would love to experience the Appalachian mountains one day, or the bayous of Louisiana. Or Texas. Georgia. The list goes on, through here in Canada as well. Never tried chipmunk, wouldn't mind giving squirrel a try one day. No wild boar or wild turkey where I am and would love that also.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Chipmunk takes more effort to clean than what you get out of it . Squirrel is very tasty . So is boar . Turkey is just passable . I know how hard you may have to work for a moose . Buddy of mine that lives in Wyoming , hunting alone , killed a full grown moose laying in it's bed in a root hole . Spent 2 days breaking it down from back bone to belly to get it packed out . He has never shot another moose that was not standing up .
>I'm just applauding those of you who have the opportunity to enjoy such great hunting and fishing :wave:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I wonder if the squirrel here would be the same species. We have a lot of red and grey, grey usually larger, and recently some of them big black ones that chase cars rather than the other way round. How do you go about dressing squirrel? Much like rabbit? And perhaps if you have a moment post a recipe over in that forum? I am one to try everything once (even tried bbq flavor meal worms, sour cre and onion crickets, and a scorpion in a suckered recently). I have a pesky squirrel eating my padding for my lawn furniture, so perhaps I'll repay it the favor.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Truckinbutch wrote:Did I mention that I am just pretty dadblamed jealous ? Goin up to the farm pond and catchin one bluegill and shootin one chipmunk on the way back to the house don't do much toward feedin a family . :(

Here's a mess a blue gill TB, most over a pound filleted like crappie yum. The filets filled a 5gal bucket 1/3 the way full.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

From last season out of the wharf :)
Kingy.jpg
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

I got few pheasants last week!
There's no place like home