musical talents

Moderator: Site Moderator

googe
retired

musical talents

Post by googe »

Hey all, I love music and anything to do with it. Just wondering what sort of musical talents you have?, asked this on a fishing forum I was on years ago and was amazed at how much talent there was, one dude was a orchestral pianist!. I got my first guitar when I was about 15, learnt all the basics, went to lessons, learnt to read music, scales, octaves ect ect. Got right into metal later on, brought tab books on Metallica, pantera, black sabbath, sepulturasepultura, grinspoon, acdc ect. Got pretty good after a few years, could play most of panteras stuff, not all though, dimbag is aa freak fof nature, he's my fav guitarist, he could make a guitar talk and scream :lol: . Also loved bb king. Stopped playing after about 12 years and never got back into it!. Playing guitar and learning and listening to metal got me through some hard times, my brother was killed in a car accident around the time I was into all this and it was a good outlet for rage!. I recently picked up a friends guitar and couldn't remember how to play anything!, I was struggling to play paranoid!. Couldn't remember anything lol. So, what's your musical.talent?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: musical talents

Post by Odin »

Hi Googe!

I love to listen to music. Jazz, U2, Simple Minds, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Afghan Whigs ...

But I have no ability whatsoever in playing an instrument myself.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Googe if you were a guitar freak... you need to watch this youtube vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... kUq4sO4LQM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

music by the new Zima band Z you may find them a little different ... but he music is interesting ...

its a guitar playing robot...btw
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I'm one of those that can pick up almost any instrument and play around a bit but have never mastered any. I build electric guitars in my spare time and enjoy watching my girls develope musically. One plays guitar and the other piano.
Also in the middle of a tube amp build for my daughter.
I have a really wide taste for any music but Pink Floyd has always held a special spot, especially David Gilmour himself.

Hard to find a day in our house where music isn't playing or being played.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Played guitar, mandolin, banjo and drums when I was younger (into my 40s). The fingers don't work well enough anymore. I played a lot of Bob Dylan songs, Niel Young, and I love bluegrass. My brother had a band when he was in high school back in S. Cack. They would let me sit in on drums once in awhile. I also did open mics and bar room jams down in Fla. Never played with a band, but loved playing - mostly for my own enjoyment.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
IrishEnigma
Swill Maker

Post by IrishEnigma »

I used to play saxophone and guitar, put it down years ago. I have a big interest in learning the harmonica. Was reading here not to long ago that one member started playing during his runs, I might start doing the same. Just have to get a harmonica first.
IE
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Been playing guitar for 38 years, in and out of various bands my whole life. In one now. My natural style is a hard driving texas blues meets jamband. Kenny Wayne Shepard meets Trey Anastasio maybe. I love Jimmy Herrings style (Allman Brothers, Widespread Panic), wish I could pick up some of that crazy melodic style based on freaky scales, but alas I play by ear and never mastered much theory behind this stuff. I play a little piano too. And trumpet, and drums. But just dickin around with them last 2, never on stage.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
SIXFOOTER
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SIXFOOTER »

I can't even play a radio
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Googe, get back into it brother! next to stillin and brewin its the best damn pastime mankind ever invented. Id soon as take a dull pencil to the eye than give up playin.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
stxhunter
Novice

Post by stxhunter »

i can't play, but this is my cousin on lead guitar.

[utube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJu0tCKN__Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow [/utube]
God bless Texas-----------------------
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

IrishEnigma wrote:I used to play saxophone and guitar, put it down years ago. I have a big interest in learning the harmonica. Was reading here not to long ago that one member started playing during his runs, I might start doing the same. Just have to get a harmonica first.
Might try that myself. My fingers don't work anymore, but hell I can still breathe.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

I was raised in a musical family, played piano, saxophone, taught myself to play guitar at age 12. Ended up in bands all through high school, helped put my way through college playing pubs and parties. Rock music mostly. I miss it. I stopped playing about a year after I left college and joined the real world. I still have my guitars and have some acoustics laying around. Now my daughter is almost 17 and she has taught herself to play and sing! So I guess what goes around comes around. Crazy. Oh - I have quite a few favorite guitarists but none would be complete without Billy Gibbons somewhere near the top. Just listen to the jam at the end of "We're bad we're nationwide". Then they had to go and get all commercial. :x
apdb
Swill Maker
Location: big ole'island on the West Coast Canada, soon to be underwater when the big one hits

Post by apdb »

I mentioned in a different thread but i play metal as well. A pantera tribute (bass) for about 6 years i think. I was in a motley crue tribute as well previous and an Alice in Chains tribute too. Original band formed out of high school and we stuck it out til just a few months ago. Played a couple really big outdoor festivals with some cool big acts. Taking a hiatus now with a growing family. Teaching my boys acoustic guitar one chord at a time but still a little young i think. Oh, and my dirty little secret... Im a whore on the karaoke microphone and i play a sweet didgerido.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Started on piano as my mom was a teacher and played at our church. Gave it up when I discovered the drums at age 9. Gave those up when my dad decided he could not take it anymore. By age 10 I was playing guitar. I own more guitars than I should but it comes with the territory. Plus the wife says she doesn't care how many guitars I own as long as I stay faithful to one woman. Fair enough as a guitar is never to tired or not in the mood.

Nothin like pullin hearts and bangin out a favorite tune.
Attachments
My constant stillin companion.<br />One of 6 at the distillery.
My constant stillin companion.
One of 6 at the distillery.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

woodshed wrote: I own more guitars than I should but it comes with the territory.
Indeed my good friend, you and I both. How many guitars should you own? N+1, or 1 more than you currently own. Looked at another way, S-1. 1 less than may bring about seperation with the spousal unit.
Brendan
Rumrunner

Post by Brendan »

Jimbo wrote:Looked at another way, S-1. 1 less than may bring about seperation with the spousal unit.
Which is why you want a spousal unit with the highest S variable possible :ewink:
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

A couple of mine rarely get played. One was my dad's that he knew the chords to two or three church songs on. It's a Konrad from 1970. One piece mahogany back, one piece spruce top, neck is straight as an arrow and holds tune better than any other guitar I own. The other one is my first guitar. It is a Kay from 1972.
The neck is quite chunky on this guitar so I don't play it very often.

With the recent edition of a Fender T-bucket acoustic my collection is now at 17. Not an expensive guitar but the quilted maple top and the way it sang to me when I played had me walking out the door with another axe.

Every guitar player knows if you pick it up and it feels good, and has that sound and tone that strums your heart your taking it home. The only thing that has ever stopped me was price. And that has only worked a few times.

In my neck of the woods the only hassle to so many guitars is keeping them all humidified.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

I play bass and harmonica, i want to learn the mandolin, i have recently been on a bluegrass kick, but i love all kinds of music.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Bordious
Novice

Post by Bordious »

I started playing clarinet when I was in the third grade, then played bass around the 8th grade and then guitar here and there around the same time. I played in some local gigging bands around the San Diego area for 4 or 5 years. I got into playing classical guitar in college and continued until I dislocated my chord hand while skateboarding. That was pretty much it for me. I still pick around here and there, but I have either carpel tunnel or arthritis and I got about 10 mins in me before I'm to sore to play.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

been thinking that lately Jimbo, someone said the other day they pick away while stilling, I thought hmm that sounds like a great idea!. Always wanted to learn the didgeridoo too!.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

Been neglecting the guitars as of late. Not an accomplished guitarist by any means but love to play. Messed around some with the mandolin but not enough to even say I play one.

Like a lot of different styles from SRV to Tony Rice. If I die being able to play half as well as those fellas I did well. As far as metal goes googe, Dimebag was hard to guard on the pinch harmonics. He could make it squeal for sure. Zack Wylde ain't too shabby either.

For some offbeat rhythms that sound easy but will drive ya nuts play some Tool (Adam Jones guitarist). Not super technical but will keep you on your toes as far as staying on the beat... or behind it... or ahead of it. Understated and underrated guitarist. No big solos but one of my favorite hard rock/metal (kind of hard to define) bands.
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

N+1 accoustic and electric guitars hanging on the walls and stashed in cases, plus a mandolin and a cornet. Been playing guitar for 52 years and love it, but don't play on stage anymore. The mandolin gets played, but the cornet collects dust mostly.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
apdb
Swill Maker
Location: big ole'island on the West Coast Canada, soon to be underwater when the big one hits

Post by apdb »

I highly recommend learning Didgerido to anyone who's got down time. I built mine for around $12 if i remember correctly. Using some simple formulas I built mine in tune to C# so i could play along with my band. We play dropped D half step down. Using a coupling I could change the tuning at will by increasing or decreasing its length. Ive taught a couple people how to circular breath using some really easy tools (a glass of water and a straw). You should hear what a didge sounds like played through a PA with a long delay and hint of chorus. Here's a cool website discussing the math involved in fine tuning a didgerido.
http://www.navaching.com/shaku/didge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I saw Xaviar Rudd play a show once. Amazing digi player. id love to build one, you have any links or info you can share apdb?
apdb
Swill Maker

Post by apdb »

Absolutely when I get home tonight I'll take a picture of my didgerido . very basic and simple. Definitely check out that link I provided it offers some of the fundamentals of what is going on inside of the didgerido. Anyone can play the thing thing even a smoker. It requires being calm and relaxed with a touch of patience. Once you get the thing to resonate for the first time something inside you clicks and its easy to do again and again. Like a muscle memory.
apdb
Swill Maker

Post by apdb »

@ jarheadshiner ... I was an OGT back in '92 on their first EP
IrishEnigma
Swill Maker

Post by IrishEnigma »

I have a couple friends that have their own band that wants to come practice while I'm doing my runs. I could use the entrainment and could learn something.
IE
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

apdb wrote:@ jarheadshiner ... I was an OGT back in '92 on their first EP
So you're the guy he was talking about huh? :wave:

Still got your Beastie Tee and 501's. :moresarcasm: :lol:
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
MadMasher
Swill Maker

Post by MadMasher »

Guitar, bass and some drums but pretty limited now with chiilens. They just want to turn the tuning keys and tell me my amp is too loud. I can play blues scale on a piano but only in C haha.
The hard part of the digi for me was circular breathing. Never could get the hang of it. My friend is big into them and has made a few but his best one is authentic from Australia made by termites eating the inside of a eucalyptus log. Pretty cool instrument.
People talk about my drinking but never about my thirst.
apdb
Swill Maker

Post by apdb »

2&quot; schedule 40 PVC pipe
2" schedule 40 PVC pipe
120cm total length of tube
120cm total length of tube
2&quot; to 1&quot; reducer inside a 2&quot; coupling
2" to 1" reducer inside a 2" coupling
Inside mouth piece
Inside mouth piece
The mouth piece
The mouth piece
My homemade Didgeridoo
My homemade Didgeridoo
Here's my homemade didgeridoo. Super cheap and fun to learn. This thing sounds really cool. I hit mine with a spray can of black and added a white squiggle. Do not glue any of it. That way you can take the mouth piece off and throw it in the dishwasher. Using another 2"coupling you can experiment with different lengths. (Hmmm sound familiar)

As you play it, it tends to start warming up with humidity from your breath and it really sounds good. I really like this length because you don't have to exert a ton of force to move air through it. That allows you to play it really dynamically for example louder or softer. Also, that means you don't get light headed or dizzy.
Feel free to ask any questions.
Aaron