Building a 3 string Cigar Box Guitar

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Building a 3 string Cigar Box Guitar

Post by Pyewacket »

I have been busy lately, and I have missed chatting with you folks – not as active as I would like to be. But for the next few weeks, my teaching schedule is reduced.

I spent some weeks leading up to Christmas building a glut of cigar box guitars (my other hobby); I am now a bit antsy to build another.

I do not sell these guitars – I just gift them out to people. The whole thing started as a bonding experience between myself and son. Since then, I have made dozens and given them to friends and family.

The thought crossed my mind that maybe some of you good people would find it interesting and would also consider making this a hobby of your own. I already know several of you folks have built them – and enjoyed seeing photos of your builds.

With the talent that you folks have as true DIYers, I just figured if I document a guitar build – some of you would consider building one yourself or with your kid! And enjoy it as much as I have.

My take on cigar box guitars are different than some – but with a lot of tradition mixed in. I enjoy customizing the guitars with art-work that I fuse to the surface of the box. Infusing some of this flare to the guitar is part of the fun for me – For example you can take this:

20140907_171139.jpg
Turn it into this:
20140907_180815.jpg
Add this
20140909_154453.jpg
And this
20140911_140237 (1).jpg
To make this:
20140912_150809.jpg

You end up with a 3 string cigar box guitar (with an acoustic pick-up) that, although Nick Offerman might be obscure, my kids love him and wanted me to make a themed guitar using this photo.

That brings me to this build. I want to start at the beginning – find a suitable cigar box, finish the box hardware, build a neck for it, install the tuners, fret it, solder up the electronics, install the electronics, install the strings and tune it up.

This guitar is going to be a home distiller themed cigar box guitar. To kick things off, I want some input. What image do you all think would make an interesting cigar box guitar – that reflects the home distilling hobby???

This would be a good start – figuring out the image as I search for a box.

Homedistiller.org has been a very positive influence in my life. I have taken A LOT of information from you smart folks. I have contacted the powers-that-be on this great site and have offered to donate this guitar once it is complete. They agreed to let me do this, and although the particulars have not been ironed out, they will auction it off. And ALL proceeds with go as a site donation. It is a way for me to give back a small bit – a way for a member to get a piece of homedistiller influenced memorabilia/guitar while ALSO giving back to the site – and at least a bit of cash to help homedistiller.org. Win, win, win~

I would like to clarify. I will build this guitar(documenting as I go). I will let the powers-that-be know it is ready to be auctioned. Hopefully someone will buy it, and money will be collected through site donation (or however they want to handle it). They will tell me who to send it to...and I will pay for shipping(USA CANADA ONLY) and send it on its way.

Just to add: There are some neat videos on Youtube of people playing their CBGs...from old timey music, blues, pop, and even middle eastern sounds/jams. I build these with a high action that, although fretted, you can still get a good slide jam going.

Will update when I find a good box -- hopefully by the end of the week.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Re: Building a 3 string Cigar Box Guitar

Post by woodshed »

Very cool.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Looking forward to seeing the build - as I live vicariously through others when it comes to this kind of thing.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I am assuming you can play? Maybe when its done you could strum a tune for us. Cant wait Pyewacket
bship
Novice

Post by bship »

Really cool.. Got it bookmarked and look forward to your progress. Thanks for sharing !!
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Well, I am pretty miserable on them. But, I will see if I can get the boy to play something. He is a novice as well, and has moved on to other instruments...but he has way more ability than his old man.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Hey Pyewacket, NICE JOB !! I've made 3 so far, 2 four string and one six string. Got a 80 yr old tenor banjo neck I'm needin a box for, for my next attempt. For playing, tips you should look up Justin Johnson and Shane Speal on youtube. They've brought me along to the point where my wife no longer slams the door when I practice LOL. Are you a member of http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum," onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow? It's filled with folks as good as you'll find here for help and info. Keep up the good work!!
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

welcome back i realized you been gone when i saw you were back hahah

awesome Lutherie there mr. Pye...

i never made it, but i got me a banjo that was made by an old timer from north carloina i believe, his name was ZENO he cut a rim from and old cedar ice cream maker bucket and used some paneling for the top and back cut some f-HOLES in it, hand made neck... I am going to have to make a new bridge for it ... it sits with the rest of my banjos

will be watching this topic indeed.
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Justin Johnson and Shane Speal on youtube.
Yes, those guys are great. Both amazing teachers...I like that Shane doesn't read a lick of music -- but can bust out the riffs all day long. I also like Shane's RAGA scale that he teaches -- He has a cool re-verb sitar twang sound with it(middle eastern sound). I should become a member of cbnation... I get Ben's newsletter though.

Rastus, Banjo is on my list as well! Saw a guy make a tensioning ring for the banjo head with some recessed lighting frames/rims -- cool stuff.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Well since your asking for suggestions on your guitar, how about the home page alembic? It's pretty classy looking.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Here is an idea I had for the face of the CBG:
barrel charring.jpg
I always thought barrel charring was down right beautiful. Probably the pyro in me. There are many amazing photos of barrel charring that are floating around -- not sure about this one. Could look cool on the guitar -- the acoustic holes would go in the upper right -- maybe even several holes as the image tappers up in a triangle shape. The neck could be black based -- with fire orange over-coat and the black distressed through -- something like that.

What other Ideas do you guys have -- that may be more homedistiller appropriate?
Zombie Killer
Novice

Post by Zombie Killer »

Makes me want to finish the work on my acoustic. its been collecting dust for too long. Looks like a fun project.
During U.S. prohibition, Texada Island was a supply point for illegal alcohol into the United States, with a famous illegal distillery operating on the east shore. The remains of the hooch boiler can be seen on the beach.
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Well since your asking for suggestions on your guitar, how about the home page alembic? It's pretty classy looking.
Pretty good idea... I could modify its attributes a bit to better blend with the wood of the guitar.
thisguy
Swill Maker

Post by thisguy »

Ron Swanson everybody... "give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait...Im assuming you think I said alot of bacon and eggs....I meant ALL the bacon and eggs..."

Love it Pye! Great job, just wish i could play
Lighting new cigarettes
Pouring more Drinks
It has been a beautiful Fight
Still Is

Work hard and say its easy...Cranky's Spoon Feeding
Concentric Still Build
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

this is going to be an interesting thread. i like the whole idea behind it. will be following the progress
Pyewacket wrote:
I always thought barrel charring was down right beautiful. Probably the pyro in me
i love that photo for probably the same reasons :lol:
you could look here. its the poll for the HD gathering tshirt
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

A CBG is on my build list, I've been building electric guitars for years. Will be watching this one.
For sure need some copper in this one.
I'd be interested in how you transfer the image, please show that process if you can.
Thanks
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

bellybuster wrote: For sure need some copper in this one.
+1
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Shoot Man i checked it out on you tube and wowzers!

i will be traveling through town in a week or two and have to ask at all the tobacco shop to see if any has a cigar box. my brain is a cranking in over drive now...

Curses all i need is another distraction... but hmmm it is one i can share with the kids !
But he loved her Still
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Awwww curses now i have bids for boxes on ebay already shucks....
But he loved her Still
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Lol have fun Rastus!
I'd be interested in how you transfer the image, please show that process if you can.
Thanks
You bet man, that will be one of the first things I do once I get an image pinned-down and a box.

As far as copper -- was thinking of doing olddog style flute plates (scaled way down of course) -- using a template to mimic flute plates for the acoustic holes-- 2-4 acoustic holes on most guitars. Also, for the bridge-end string harness -- using a pounded copper fitting -- drill holes so the strings can easily be strung.

Alright, took some of your ideas an came up with a couple options -- liked wootechs idea of the S3 teeshirt logo so Incorporated it with the barrel char:
Untitled 1.jpg
This photo-or something like it -- would allow for good placement of the copper acoustic covers(upper right -starting with a larger size -- and as the black tappers -- place a second one (a bit smaller next). The flames come up in a peak -- so between the monkeys and the tip of the flames-- I could place another acoustic hole. Also, there would be plenty of room for the pot knob -- lower left.

Bigbob -- Had the idea of the alembic -- I could use the above photo for the cigar box face -- and take the alembic still picture on the front page and place it between the nut and the first fret.

I also like bigbob's idea but with an artistic/folksy photo of an alembic... Found this on the web:
alembic still.jpg
These are just a couple ideas for now -- What do you guys think?
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Both look great! Wish I could play, but I just don't have the patience.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thats great pyewacket. Nice job! I want one!!! ... Ill have to add it to the build list.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Jimbo--through the years, I have always thought of you as a string picker -- I'd bet I could learn a lot from ya'...I hope you find the time to build one of these someday...

S3 -- secret-stilling-society...alembic still -- leaning toward something like this? With two OD style flute plates for acoustic sound holes (upper right, lower right). -- adding homedistiller.org between the nut and the first fret on the soundboard.
hmmm....Olive colored neck...black tunners --
s3 alembic.jpg
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Pyewacket wrote: Alright, took some of your ideas an came up with a couple options -- liked wootechs idea of the S3 teeshirt logo so Incorporated it with the barrel char:
the 3 monkeys are jimbos design. :)
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I've been trying to post on this thread for days...

Christmas before last I had 3 weeks off so I converted one of my guitars to 3 string and learned to play slide (long story but I started by trying to figure out the lyric's to the theme of "justified", ended up with a slide guitar!) Anyhoo, looking on youtube there all kinds of slide guitars and 3 string box guitars and I thought HEY!! I want to make one....yeah, still haven't started...but if this goes up for auction I'll be bidding. I love the picture of a still, that would be awesome! (if I won of course hehe)

Can't wait to follow the complete build!

EDIT: AAHH! just thought, I'm left handed...can it be restrung left or will knobs be in the way etc?
Last edited by goinbroke2 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

An HD/S3 cigar box guitar. Love it.
Been awhile since I have lusted after a guitar.
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Cool guys, I found a box that I think will work well... I will post a picture of it tomorrow. I should be able to start the image transfer tomorrow as well.
EDIT: AAHH! just thought, I'm left handed...can it be restrung left or will knobs be in the way etc?
Only issue is going to be the volume knob. The nut is likely going to be a bolt -- so no worries of the strings fitting up there (in reverse). And the bridge is not attached -- so you can change the angle to provide better tuning. Oh yeah, the image would be upside-down when playing lol...no biggy there. If a lefty won...we could talk about relocating the volume knob to the side -- and I can convert the hole into another small acoustic hole -- or something.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Thanks..making plans and I haven't even bid yet! LOL!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

So far i have won 3 ebay auctions and one more pending on some boxes... And in youtube i saw one that has a Copper resonator coool

thats got me spinning, a copper resonator and then i am thinking brass sight windows for the holes copper also for the tail piece... not sure how it will gel but here we go.

already scratching my head figuring what wood for the neck maybe walnut with gold colored frets. of course charred oak would be appropriate.

first time i saw the S3 I like that... :crazy:
But he loved her Still
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

HAHA Rastus is hooked now!

Ok, found the box:

Large box with good surface area -- Knuckled test -- should have a good sound:

Sanded the bottom of the box:
20150130_145536.jpg
Used the belt sander to sand through the stamped company name -- just enough to sand through their layers of paint and get down to raw wood--sometimes you end up sanding through an entire layer of wood to get things uniform in color (didn't have to this time):

Applied the image -- has neat rustic look on the box -- This is still drying and it has a matte finish from the transfer process. Once dry -- I will stain the thin edge of raw wood to better blend the image. I will clear-coat it -- 5 or so coats -- should really bring out the colors with a high gloss-- and give it a strong finish.
20150130_161911.jpg

Ok, next post I will show you the basic transfer process (coming right up).