who likes to shoot?

Moderator: Site Moderator

cob
Master of Distillation

Re: who likes to shoot?

Post by cob »

SassyFrass wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:32 am With the price of ammo, I've been thinking of buying a couple air/BB guns just to keep my skills up. Rifle and pistol just for practicing. I have a bit of a stockpile of ammo but dont want to use it for plinking. Even decent .22 has gotten ridiculous.
JMHO
SF
I get a lot of use out of my scoped nitro piston rifles and pump pistol. (tree rats),

and have a 25 yard indoor range for air guns.
be water my friend
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

cob wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:12 pm
SassyFrass wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:32 am With the price of ammo, I've been thinking of buying a couple air/BB guns just to keep my skills up. Rifle and pistol just for practicing. I have a bit of a stockpile of ammo but dont want to use it for plinking. Even decent .22 has gotten ridiculous.
JMHO
SF
I get a lot of use out of my scoped nitro piston rifles and pump pistol. (tree rats),

and have a 25 yard indoor range for air guns.
Tree rats are fun with an air rifle, but sometimes I like to pop them with my suppressed 22/45 and subsonic rounds. In the back yard, in very limited for field of fire. Even with a bb gun.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Deplorable wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:18 pm sometimes I like to pop them with my suppressed 22/45 and subsonic rounds.
That's a great combination. Happen to have that same setup myself. What a fun shooter, especially on steel.
Plain ole pot rig.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Nerdy; I got my first stent in '96 and the first time I talked to the doc in intensive care,

I ask if my .375 H&H would shake that sucker loose. he shook his head and walked out.
be water my friend
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

River Rat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:46 pm
Deplorable wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:18 pm sometimes I like to pop them with my suppressed 22/45 and subsonic rounds.
That's a great combination. Happen to have that same setup myself. What a fun shooter, especially on steel.
Right? Clack...Ting!!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

and have a 25 yard indoor range for air guns.[/quote]

Hunted fuzzy tailed tree rats aka squirrels when I was a kid with a .22 rifle. Most of my buddies used shotguns but i never liked picking out buckshot and we ate alot of squirrel growing up. More I think about it, the more the air rifle/pistol practice duo sounds like winner. Cheap and easy to do. Ain't perfect, but what is? Dont think I'd use it for hunting, but just to keep target acquisition, breathing, etc... skills on par...air sounds like a good substitute for live expensive ammo.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

[/quote]

Tree rats are fun with an air rifle, but sometimes I like to pop them with my suppressed 22/45 and subsonic rounds. In the back yard, in very limited for field of fire. Even with a bb gun.
[/quote]

Exactly the same setup I have. It's quieter than any of the airguns, I also have a suppressed .22 Savage bolt action that is even quieter (no auto-loading noise).
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

v-child wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:49 am

Exactly the same setup I have. It's quieter than any of the airguns, I also have a suppressed .22 Savage bolt action that is even quieter (no auto-loading noise).
It's on my short list of guns to add. I've even thought about threading the barrel of my Henry, but can't bring myself to molest a lever action 22
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Go for it... you won't be disappointed. I've got a Savage .22 bolt gun as well. Like v-child says with the can on it's quieter than anything I've ever shot, air rifles included. I'm sure you know but you definitely gotta use subsonic ammo in the bolt gun. Unlike pistols where most .22 ammo will be subsonic due to barrel length.
*Edit - by go for it I meant the bolt action, not threading the lever action! That would be hard to watch.
Plain ole pot rig.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

haha. Yeah, Henry's are too nice to molest like that. It's a slick little pea-shooter.
But a threaded bolt action 22 rifle, them are the cats ass for pest control with subsonic rounds. For a while, I was making regular trips into the sporting goods stores and buying all their subsonic 22LR. I've got a few thousand rounds of it, just because suppressed 22 make me giggle like a school girl when I hit a tree rat, trash panda, or possum with it. Just dont shoot crows, the sonsabitches will find you...
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Henry's are one of the most beautiful working rifles on the market today. More of a work of art than a plain old tool. Beautiful solid craftsmanship, and the golden boy is almost too pretty.
I really like the idea of just buying or trading for a simple cheap bolt gun and setting it up for a can. Instead of threading the barrel on a Henry. But it's your rifle and your choice.
I have no need for noise suppression where I live. But I can definitely see the appeal. I used to giggle like a school kid when shooting my sr25 suppressed. And that was for work. And a .22 would be way quieter than the .308.
You only live once, have fun.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

SassyFrass wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:35 am Henry's are one of the most beautiful working rifles on the market today. More of a work of art than a plain old tool. Beautiful solid craftsmanship, and the golden boy is almost too pretty.
I really like the idea of just buying or trading for a simple cheap bolt gun and setting it up for a can. Instead of threading the barrel on a Henry. But it's your rifle and your choice.
I have no need for noise suppression where I live. But I can definitely see the appeal. I used to giggle like a school kid when shooting my sr25 suppressed. And that was for work. And a .22 would be way quieter than the .308.
You only live once, have fun.
SF
I'd trade one of my AR10s for a bolt gun before I'd trade a Henry. I need a 308 bolt gun anyway. My AR10 with a can is long and heavy, but its a solid, well tuned shooter.
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Deplorable, I agree I wouldnt trade a Henry either. But a used .22 bolt gun is still fairly reasonable price wise.
SF

rootbeers
Novice

Post by rootbeers »

River Rat wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:31 pm Rootbeers,
Sounds like a pain in the a$$. Your post made me curious so I looked up some info on that process in the UK. It seems pretty similar to the NFA process here in the US to own suppressors or full auto firearms. Both have a fee or tax stamp, interview with chief LEO, reason for purchase, identification requirements. But hey, at least there is an avenue for legal ownership. For now.

Edit: Good luck on the exam!
It's not impossible to get certified. The process can be long, the visit can determine if you are able to provide the required level of security that is needed. I can't at present without making a secret space, problem, I am a flat (apartment) one floor up so concrete floors, only option I have is the heat exchange intake which is hidden under a wooden structure and would allow for "out of sight" out of mind security for a simple gun safe.

Where I currently live, there is a problem with gun crime and gang fights, they start out with knives and it then escalates to firearms. To give you an idea of the mentality of the people here, a friends neighbour bought himself a nice car, an Audi after many years of running his own company, finally bought a nice car. Within the week his door went through, he was beaten and tortured and had his life threatened and was left for dead because he didn't have what they were after because they thought that the car came as a result of drug money. They trashed his house and smashed the car up and the guy hasn't properly recovered or been back to the home he owns. All because someone thought he had something nice like a grow on the go and wads of money that can't be banked.

Its not the first one I have heard about, at the gun club, the owners neighbour was also invaded, why? He had a load of gardening equipment dropped off and these cretins thought that he was growing. Luckily the neighbours were fully licence gun owners being gunshop and gun club owners and they both had licence to carry. The husband entered the property, could see the men and drew his weapon and warned the gang that the gun was very real, and they froze and then made off. The neighbour then had the man evac when ambulance came, they had to airlift him to hospital as he was critical, they'd nearly killed the guy.

So I don't fancy having a gun safe delivered to my flat, when I live in the middle of gangland.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

rootbeers wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:03 pm
It's not impossible to get certified. The process can be long, the visit can determine if you are able to provide the required level of security that is needed. I can't at present without making a secret space, problem, I am a flat (apartment) one floor up so concrete floors, only option I have is the heat exchange intake which is hidden under a wooden structure and would allow for "out of sight" out of mind security for a simple gun safe.

Where I currently live, there is a problem with gun crime and gang fights, they start out with knives and it then escalates to firearms. To give you an idea of the mentality of the people here, a friends neighbour bought himself a nice car, an Audi after many years of running his own company, finally bought a nice car. Within the week his door went through, he was beaten and tortured and had his life threatened and was left for dead because he didn't have what they were after because they thought that the car came as a result of drug money. They trashed his house and smashed the car up and the guy hasn't properly recovered or been back to the home he owns. All because someone thought he had something nice like a grow on the go and wads of money that can't be banked.

Its not the first one I have heard about, at the gun club, the owners neighbour was also invaded, why? He had a load of gardening equipment dropped off and these cretins thought that he was growing. Luckily the neighbours were fully licence gun owners being gunshop and gun club owners and they both had licence to carry. The husband entered the property, could see the men and drew his weapon and warned the gang that the gun was very real, and they froze and then made off. The neighbour then had the man evac when ambulance came, they had to airlift him to hospital as he was critical, they'd nearly killed the guy.

So I don't fancy having a gun safe delivered to my flat, when I live in the middle of gangland.
Wow, even though I live in a crappy state as far as gun laws, I feel so lucky to live in the US where the 2A is at least partly respected. Of course living in a rural area helps. The sign on my shop reads "No trespassing, I own firearms and a backhoe".
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Love the Henry, have the golden boy! They cycle everything I put through it. The subsonic are a favourite, but I love filling it with 21-22 rounds of shorts, such an awesome plinker!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Mashable wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:48 pm Love the Henry, have the golden boy! They cycle everything I put through it. The subsonic are a favourite, but I love filling it with 21-22 rounds of shorts, such an awesome plinker!
Yep, shorts are always hard to find around here. nobody stocks them because everyone wants LR. I bought a 2500 round bucket of em last year on line. super fun for shooting steel.
Lots of folks hate the tube magazine and lack of loading gate on the Henry, I dont know that I'd want to load as much 22 as I can shoot through a loading gate. my thumbs would be raw.
rootbeers
Novice

Post by rootbeers »

I bought my son an Airgun last weekend, its a Weihrauch HW57 single shot underlever.

Because he is 14 and the UK laws are crappy, I am the legal owner of that item until he is 18. It is registered to me for a start, something that seems to be new, the gunsmith said that they have to record the name, address details of the person buying it as its a legal requirement.

Anyway...

Between last weekend and now, someone has tried to break in to my (apartment) flat, the concrete edging is all cracked as is the paint that covered it and new marks on my door frame where it has been kicked or hit with something and a jimmy attempt has been made on a door that luckily is not slipable.

You know, you can't have anything nice around here without some thieving youth or low life thug-life wanting to break in. Several occasions now I have been in and something has gone down, either a theft outside my door or an attempt to get in, usually when something nice has come here. The first time was when I bought my HiFi amplifier, the second time was when I bought my first LED flat screen, the third time was when I got a car, the fourth time was when I got a new set of mountain bikes for myself and my son, even when we were out, I had forethought to get them registered and fitted with trackers as one day I over hear at the pedestrian crossing some youth talking to his mates ahead and describing me, my bike, my son, his bike and also that there was a <I omit the name of tracker and company> label on the bike and all in a codified language, and he got told to leave it... The fifth time was when I changed my car and the sixth time was after a while of no vehicle, buying a vehicle.

My current vehicle is regularly shot at with an airgun and most likely an airsoft gun as the markings I can see are all high velocity and closely packed together, others are powerful enough to leave a dent, one I do really suspect is a real bullet skit as its left a deformation in the metal as its been shot at a weird angle, so I judge it to be when my car was parked with the rear facing the opposite to what it normally does. I may photograph all these bits where my car has been shot at one day, maybe when its time to scrap it.

I have had a weapon put to my head before now, been shot at, attempted stabbing, threatened and intimidated and they don't get it because I am not scared of them. I had a bunch of youth try jump me in the street and they got a surprise when I turned my bag of shopping in to a weapon all Jason Bourne style.

I tell you, some of the <excrement> that goes down here, makes Merseyside in Liverpool look like Rainbow and Unicorn land. I really need to move somewhere more civilised like Glasgow.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Life is pretty boring here for an old bugger.

Geoff
The Baker
rootbeers
Novice

Post by rootbeers »

The Baker wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:02 pm Life is pretty boring here for an old bugger.

Geoff
a) is it isolated
b) do you do have a rental?

I need to move civilised place where its the wildlife you have to watch out for...
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi.
We live in our own home in a rural town in Australia of 4,000 people.
About twenty-five miles from the big town of maybe 35,000.
We used to own the local bakery.

Fairly much employed or retired white, nominally Christian, heterosexual Anglo-Saxon somewhat over the average age.
Though maybe I am not allowed to say that stuff, it's not Politically Correct.
Certainly there are a fair few don't fall into those categories but generally they don't make a fuss and neither do we.
Not a hell of a lot of excitement and just as well.
Young people probably go to other places for real fun and games, and permanently for employment.

The biggest news for a while was when the police (gently) rolled the paddy wagon!
I guess they were pretty embarrassed...
When the COVID restrictions were in full force a good outing was a visit to the doctor for minor problems.

Happily retired Geoff
The Baker
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

I thoroughly enjoy shooting, building, reloading, cleaning, repairing, etc etc. I started collecting ammo back before 2012, and I kind of went hog wild with it. My wife thought I was crazy, she no longer does. Ammo is so hard to find now, and if you do get lucky you're paying a fortune. As far as what I own, I'm not going to go into that. I have a few. I enjoy small caliber, .22lr, .204, .17hmr. But I also like the larger calibers. I like them all. Due to the ammo shortage and price, I don't shoot much anymore. I don't want to shoot up what I have if I can't replace it. So I bought a still. It should keep me busy. Lots to learn!!
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

DRHillier wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:27 pm I thoroughly enjoy shooting, building, reloading, cleaning, repairing, etc etc. I started collecting ammo back before 2012, and I kind of went hog wild with it. My wife thought I was crazy, she no longer does. Ammo is so hard to find now, and if you do get lucky you're paying a fortune. As far as what I own, I'm not going to go into that. I have a few. I enjoy small caliber, .22lr, .204, .17hmr. But I also like the larger calibers. I like them all. Due to the ammo shortage and price, I don't shoot much anymore. I don't want to shoot up what I have if I can't replace it. So I bought a still. It should keep me busy. Lots to learn!!
I've always wanted to get into reloading. We save our brass thinking maybe someday. I feel like you need to set it up and leave it up, like it's not something you put up and take down to use. We don't have the space for that...yet.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

sadie33 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:21 pm
DRHillier wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:27 pm I thoroughly enjoy shooting, building, reloading, cleaning, repairing, etc etc. I started collecting ammo back before 2012, and I kind of went hog wild with it. My wife thought I was crazy, she no longer does. Ammo is so hard to find now, and if you do get lucky you're paying a fortune. As far as what I own, I'm not going to go into that. I have a few. I enjoy small caliber, .22lr, .204, .17hmr. But I also like the larger calibers. I like them all. Due to the ammo shortage and price, I don't shoot much anymore. I don't want to shoot up what I have if I can't replace it. So I bought a still. It should keep me busy. Lots to learn!!
I've always wanted to get into reloading. We save our brass thinking maybe someday. I feel like you need to set it up and leave it up, like it's not something you put up and take down to use. We don't have the space for that...yet.
You can totally take it down and set it back up. Now a days there's quick disconnect reloading die adapters so you can remove them and put it another one without resetting the die. You can bolt a reloading press to a bench and remove it any time you want. You can bolt the press back onto the bench any day and swap out your dies too. There's quite a few different types of reloading presses for any budget. Right now would be a very good time to get into reloading only if you can get the materials. The Biden regime has recently halted manufacturing of civilian ammo in the US with the Lake City plant/plants. I ask when do you think the Biden regime will 'want' you to have ammo again? NEVER. So if can get what you want now ... that would probably be a good idea.

Video Citation
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

DRHillier wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:27 pm I started collecting ammo back before 2012, and I kind of went hog wild with it. My wife thought I was crazy, she no longer does. Ammo is so hard to find now, and if you do get lucky you're paying a fortune.
Only two times I thought I might have two much ammo. Once I was in the water hoping to make it to shore. Second time was moving, about the 30th trip up the stairs.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:20 pm
sadie33 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:21 pm
You can totally take it down and set it back up. Now a days there's quick disconnect reloading die adapters so you can remove them and put it another one without resetting the die. You can bolt a reloading press to a bench and remove it any time you want. You can bolt the press back onto the bench any day and swap out your dies too. There's quite a few different types of reloading presses for any budget. Right now would be a very good time to get into reloading only if you can get the materials. The Biden regime has recently halted manufacturing of civilian ammo in the US with the Lake City plant/plants. I ask when do you think the Biden regime will 'want' you to have ammo again? NEVER. So if can get what you want now ... that would probably be a good idea.

Video Citation
I don't even have an empty bench to bolt anything too. :esad: What I need to do is get somewhere to keep my hay and shavings, then I could use that shed for a reloading shed, maybe even a stilling shed one day...well maybe gunpowder and booze might not be a good mix :lolno:

My husbands birthday is in the spring. If I could get that shed cleaned out, that would be a really nice bday present. :thumbup: (I already got his Christmas present).
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

He just caught me looking at reloading starter kits (a draw back to working at home together is you can't sneak nothin!) He said at this point, he wouldn't reload. He actually bought some ammo on line just before Lake City stopped selling to civilians. He got a really good deal too and he was afraid they weren't going to honor it, but they did. :clap: It was a good idea in theory anyway.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

subbrew wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:45 am
Only two times I thought I might have two much ammo. Once I was in the water hoping to make it to shore. Second time was moving, about the 30th trip up the stairs.
LOL the last time I moved ammo (to make room under my workbench for two 5-gallon barrels) it took 4 trips with a hand dolly to move all the ammo cans, and I still have enough ammo that is not in cans, that I could fill 3or 4 more fat fifties.
A couple years ago, I bought out an old gent's reloading supplies, and ended up with about almost 3000 small pistol primers among all the other goodies and equipment. I've yet to start doing any reloading. I don't even shoot much anymore truth be told. When I finish assembling a new rifle, I take it to the range, sight it in, and put it in the safe. As a matter of fact, I just put an LPVO on another AR15 this evening, so a range trip is in order.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

I thoroughly enjoy reloading. It’s a quiet, peaceful hobby. I load 556, 300 Savage, 30-06, 38, 9 mm, 45 long Colt, 45 ACP, and lately 30 Carbine. Keep a supply of components around for when I’m bored.
I get a kick out of one of the “old people “ questions the docs ask at my annual physical: “Do you feel safe at home?” My answer is a standard “Lady, I have more guns than Canada.” Usually no more silly questions after that. O’course this is Texas…
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

sadie33 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:13 am He just caught me looking at reloading starter kits (a draw back to working at home together is you can't sneak nothin!) He said at this point, he wouldn't reload. He actually bought some ammo on line just before Lake City stopped selling to civilians. He got a really good deal too and he was afraid they weren't going to honor it, but they did. :clap: It was a good idea in theory anyway.
Got ammo, VERY COOL! Reloading is not for everyone and that's totally ok. It really does require a decent initial investment. Like at least a single stage press, reloading dies, case prep tools, a brass tumbler, tumbler media, a case trimmer, powder, brass, projectiles, primers, calipers, a scale, a work bench and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other basic stuff too.

I remember when I used to be able to buy a case of ammo (1,000 rounds) under $200 for 9mm and around $200 for 5.56/.223. Those prices are LONG gone and will probably never be seen again. I stocked WAY up during the obama regime.