Bought a 60 year old metal lathe

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Bought a 60 year old metal lathe

Post by shadylane »

Always wanted a metal lathe, there's no logical reason, since I don't need one to make money
Now that I'm retired, figured it was time to start doing the illogical :lol:
So, I bought a 1956 South Bend model 9A metal lathe
Tried to post some pics, but failed :oops:
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: Bought a 60 year old metal lathe

Post by cob »

like the distilling rabbit hole wasn't deep enough.

did you get any tooling with it?
be water my friend
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Very nice. It's always fun making chips
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

What both of them guys said . There are thousands of tutorials on YouTube to learn how to use a lathe . I have a 16x50 (?) lathe and the milling machine that Mel Forbes started Ultra Light Arms with .
You can spin metal for funnels and other projects , make custom copper joints , blanks for wooden spoons , spin top toys for children and adults . Your imagination is your limitation .
Sharpening tool bits is the most challenging task I have yet to master .
Grizzly Equipment is a great source of supplies and info . Their tech staff is great .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

+1 :thumbup:

Hope it is in good condition, solid bed, with some good tools..
Just the nice size to start making copper ferrules, brass sight glass :D

Mars

PS.. when you get tire of it.. just PM me and I will pick it up.. :ewink:
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

cob wrote:like the distilling rabbit hole wasn't deep enough.
Dig deeper to get away from the problem :lol:
Yes, still parts will be made on the lathe
cob wrote:did you get any tooling with it?
Didn't get a 4 jaw chuck or a steady rest.
But got the factory base cabinet, a full set of collets, and half a bucket of things I might need
The paint is poor, but everything is lubed, with no rust and no discernable wear, I'd say the lathe hasn't had to work for a living
Or been used in school.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Paint is just a new dress on an old whore . Cosmetics . What she will put out is where your interests lie . These are precision machines . They are pretty hard to damage beyond recovery .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Truckinbutch, I hear what your saying :lol:
Guess I'll take a crash course in machining, Won't be the first time I started a new learning experience
Now I'm looking for a cheap milling machine and a surface grinder
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I see a copy of the Machinery's Handbook in your future.
be water my friend
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cob wrote:I see a copy of the Machinery's Handbook in your future.
:thumbup: :thumbup: BOY, HOWDY ! If I could memorize all that is included in my copy I would be the smartest man in the world .
That ship sailed long ago . It's still my 'Go to' reference guide for anything I wish to do .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

shadylane wrote:Truckinbutch, I hear what your saying :lol:
Guess I'll take a crash course in machining, Won't be the first time I started a new learning experience
Now I'm looking for a cheap milling machine and a surface grinder
Used 3 phase with a cheap converter are much cheaper than 110 or 220 machines .
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Don't give up on the pics! I'm excited for you!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Sweet machine, shady.
Truckinbutch wrote: Used 3 phase with a cheap converter are much cheaper than 110 or 220 machines .
That's right about the triple phase. It's way more efficient. All you need is a three phase motor bigger than the one you want to drive.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Watch ebay and craigslist for a 4 jaw chuck, steady and follow rests Lots of em out there...

Cast chuck will be fine as it's a fairly low rpm machine...

The list is just starting... indicators... dial calipers.... micrometers... dykem.... emory cloth.... bench grinder... bar stock... band saw....

You dont know how big the hole can get... but it's worth it in most cases. :shock:

Have fun life is short

FS
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Nice I have used that exact lathe I believe.

Does it have the threading attachment / option on it? If so pickup a nice micrometer and set of 3 wires for measuring threads.

As mentioned above a 4 jaw chuck is really helpful watch and pickup one.. it can be frustrating at first to setup things true though. Also check your 3 jaw... most are not perfectly centering. So be aware.

Start grinding youw own tool bits. will save you a ton!

You have a parting tool with it? Very good tool to have also!

If you setup with sharp tools and the right speed and feed, you can get close to a mirror finish on most items.

Also check the bed for wear. Ofend the carrage drops due to bead wear close to the 3 jaw. Ta a piece of saw 2" and take a cut on it.. and measure both ends. Shoudl be hte same but often ner the 3 jaw is .0005 to .003 larger... basically as the tool bit drops...the diameter gets larger.

B
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here's a pic
Attachments
DSCF0040.JPG
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Nice score Shady :thumbup:
It is what you make it
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

Nice find. I would like to add a word of caution. A lathe is not forgiving at all and can cause serious trauma in an instant. As an engineer and tool and die maker of over 20 years I have seen it first hand. A friend of mine with over 30 years experience got his arm torn off at the elbow. It happened so fast that his arm flew out of the lathe and hit him in the face and almost broke his jaw. 2 other guys in the same shop lost a finger on separate occasions. It's a great tool to have, just be careful.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Nice shady.. that is exactly like the unit I used in the past. Could easily make a 4" plate setup with that...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

squeezins wrote:Nice find. I would like to add a word of caution. A lathe is not forgiving at all and can cause serious trauma in an instant.
And that's a fact. :lol:
Ordered a new flat drive belt today, Hope I got the length right.
The old one was stretched out too far and slipping, It measured 64"
I spent hours on the internet searching for the belt size and never found it.
So I guessed and ordered one 62" long.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Was there no adjustment in the lower part of the cabinet...a turnbuckle jam nut arrangement on the pivoting plate?
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Belts for it on ebay...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

FullySilenced wrote:Was there no adjustment in the lower part of the cabinet...a turnbuckle jam nut arrangement on the pivoting plate?
It was adjusted as far as it could go. Actually it was adjusted farther than it could go without the belt rubbing on were the turnbuckle attaches to the pivot
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Is it a glued or laced belt? you could shorten the belt you have maybe....

but there are belts on ebay .... lots of em...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

The old belt was fabric/rubber with metal clips and a pin.
So I could have shortened it, fairly easy. but It was starting to get crack's in it.
I just got an email saying the new belt has been shipped, so it will be here in a day or 2
I'm also playing with a serpentine belt, that I've cut and attempting to glue back together :lol:
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

I don't savvy metal working near as much as I do wood working. Couple of years back I was scouring the Internet for information about wood lathes. Not the motor powered kind of wood lathe but the medieval kind. One of those projects that I haven't followed up on yet.

By accident I once stumbled upon or into a SCA convention that was being held way out in the woods. Surrounded by weirdos on all sides I walked down this trail leading to a cluster of tents. Working under a tree was this old hippy dude in period clothes turning out a bowling pin- from a piece of firewood. His setup was pretty simple, just a chair, a wooden sawhorse and an overhead 20# fiberglass archery bow.

http://www.turningtools.co.uk/history2/ ... 395-lg.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://vikinganswerlady.com/graphics/pa ... eLathe.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

People seem to use the terms “pole lathe” or “bow lathe” interchangeable although there is a difference. There used to be or might still be groups or clubs of these rustic wood turners who stage outdoor gatherings once or twice a year (especially in England).
agm2003-014.jpg
covergirls.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

the metal pin clips could in most cases be re-purposed and usually instead of a metal pin a piece of rawhide lacing .... a really hard stiff piece is used as a pin...

I didn't see a live center hopefully you have one and some center drills as well

Did you get any Armstrong style tool holders for the tool post? Usually that lathe uses a 1/4" holder up to a 5/16 square tool bit... and maybe 1/2" or 5/8" tall parting tools and holders..

Lathes are not a dangerous as depicted in the earlier posts if you use basic safety and common sense.... just don't leave a chuck wrench in the chuck, or grab the chips with your hands use a chip brush... wear safety glasses and no gloves or loose clothing while your running the lathe... spinning metal and fingers don't mingle very well the metal always wins...

Google lathe safety... or i can find you some links if need be....

found an old video almost made about the lathe you have...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5pjWkJ9ewU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn9HJfy33eA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow more modern video on an old style flat belt lathe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST3oTyGhck4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow very basic lathe safety

Threw this one in to show you a keyways can be cut or even a gear if the need really arises and you want to go to the effort. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qta82yOtUk4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow cutting a spur gear

there are tons of videos on youtube..

FS
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

For flat belting I used round baler belts that had been changed out due to wear or made my own from leather . Metal pin lacing or rawhide both work well to join belt ends .
A lathe like you have will work wood as well as metal .
You are going to have a serious dilemma with time management between two such engrossing hobbies as stillin and machine shop work . Don't ask me how I know this .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

FullySilenced wrote:the metal pin clips could in most cases be re-purposed and usually instead of a metal pin a piece of rawhide lacing .... a really hard stiff piece is used as a pin...

I didn't see a live center hopefully you have one and some center drills as well

Did you get any Armstrong style tool holders for the tool post? Usually that lathe uses a 1/4" holder up to a 5/16 square tool bit... and maybe 1/2" or 5/8" tall parting tools and holders..

Lathes are not a dangerous as depicted in the earlier posts if you use basic safety and common sense.... just don't leave a chuck wrench in the chuck, or grab the chips with your hands use a chip brush... wear safety glasses and no gloves or loose clothing while your running the lathe... spinning metal and fingers don't mingle very well the metal always wins...

Google lathe safety... or i can find you some links if need be....

found an old video almost made about the lathe you have...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5pjWkJ9ewU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn9HJfy33eA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow more modern video on an old style flat belt lathe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST3oTyGhck4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow very basic lathe safety

Threw this one in to show you a keyways can be cut or even a gear if the need really arises and you want to go to the effort. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qta82yOtUk4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow cutting a spur gear

there are tons of videos on youtube..

FS
I've got a couple live and dead centers. One of the live centers must fit inside of a BIG piece of pipe?
Don't know what a "Armstrong style tool holder" is yet, but I got a "lantern" tool holder and a bunch of cutting tools that that clamp inside it, and are different shapes of tool and carbide steel. Also a parting tool, knurling tool and some other things that I suspect what they do, but don't know their name. :lol:
Your absolutely right about the video's on you tube :thumbup:
Many of the best one's are in black and white. And were made by South Bend somewhere around WW2
It's crazy the amount of info out there, Bet our grampa would have loved to watch the videos with a beer in hand :wink:
Posting with TB :lol:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Truckinbutch wrote:You are going to have a serious dilemma with time management between two such engrossing hobbies as stillin and machine shop work.
No problem with the time management, I'm old, retired and don't fornicate as often as I once did.