PREPPING - Yes - No - Why !

Moderator: Site Moderator

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: PREPPING - Yes - No - Why !

Post by Expat »

dunluce wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:59 pm I'm surprised on here with all the interest in prepping, and the multitude of comments about how valuable producing alcohol could be in this type of situation, that no one has mentioned cultivating wild yeast.

What happens if you need yeast? What if you find yourself in a situation where you need yeast, but can't buy any?

What are YOU going to do? Can you harvest wild yeast? Do you know how to harvest it? Do you know where to look for it? :mrgreen:
Keeping yeast alive across generations and batches is really really easy; not sure I'd ever run short. Products might change a bit as the gene line diverges from the original stock but not nearly as much as is likely with wild strains.

Using fresh dry yeast is a convenience, not a requirement.

Also, you'd run out of other ingredients (e.g. refined sugar, liquid enzymes, etc) long before yeast: growing and malting grain would be the requirement.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Expat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:12 pm Keeping yeast alive across generations and batches is really really easy; not sure I'd ever run short. Products might change a bit as the gene line diverges from the original stock but not nearly as much as is likely with wild strains.
So what if you had to start over from scratch? You were able to access everything except yeast? (minus the fermentable sugars and liquid enzymes)

I'm thinking the ability to source wild yeast in a shorter time frame might be a suitable skill to have.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

dunluce wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:21 pm
Expat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:12 pm Keeping yeast alive across generations and batches is really really easy; not sure I'd ever run short. Products might change a bit as the gene line diverges from the original stock but not nearly as much as is likely with wild strains.
So what if you had to start over from scratch? You were able to access everything except yeast? (minus the fermentable sugars and liquid enzymes)

I'm thinking the ability to source wild yeast in a shorter time frame might be a suitable skill to have.
If I were starting from scratch I'd probably worry about learning to refine copper or melt and blow glass. Prepping as I understand it is more like living without the grid and society in general, so I'll start with at least some of what I have now.

Cross flow condenser
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Expat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:30 pm If I were starting from scratch I'd probably worry about learning to refine copper or melt and blow glass. Prepping as I understand it is more like living without the grid and society in general, so I'll start with at least some of what I have now.
By "from scratch", I meant "without commercial yeast". I'm just saying that I think the ability to source yeast from the wild like the ancient Middle Easterners did would be a decent skill to have. Plus, you could use it for sourdough if you wanted. :mrgreen:
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

dunluce wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:38 pm
Expat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:30 pm If I were starting from scratch I'd probably worry about learning to refine copper or melt and blow glass. Prepping as I understand it is more like living without the grid and society in general, so I'll start with at least some of what I have now.
By "from scratch", I meant "without commercial yeast". I'm just saying that I think the ability to source yeast from the wild like the ancient Middle Easterners did would be a decent skill to have. Plus, you could use it for sourdough if you wanted. :mrgreen:
I hear what you're saying, but I just don't see it happening. I could probably just add mash to my fermenter and it would go. Yeast are pretty resilient beasts. Yeast strains basically run forever.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Around these parts it would be easy, put a water molasses mix ..or water sugar mix out side for a few days and it will be fermenting. Another option would be for me to go to my nearest sugar cane paddock.
There are a lot of ways to get free yeast.....none very hard......google search some bread making or baking sites..plenty of information there.
Having said that I doubt I would ever have to do it .....Id just dig some yeast out of an existing UJ or Rum wash.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

It is very nearly impossible to NOT harvest wild yeast.

you only need a tiny bit of knowledge.

edit; didn't catch bills or expats posts before posting
be water my friend
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

cob wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:45 pmyou only need a tiny bit of knowledge.
Sure, feel free to elaborate. :mrgreen:
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Quite a few old time likker makers only used wild yeast. Swore that bought yeast added the headaches to their likker. Here in the hills, to harvest wild yeast, put your mash or wash or must together then put wire screen and burlap over the barrel mouth. Let it sit for a day or so and it will start working. No added yeast. You save a little bit of that, if it's a good run and go from there. Easy peasy.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

It is as easy as what Saltbush Bill posted above. yeast is on the grapes you buy

at the store and most other fruit you buy, or pick. its in the air you breath.

edit; now SassyFrass beat me, i'm getting slow.
be water my friend
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

cob wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 pm edit; now SassyFrass beat me, i'm getting slow.
Yeah, speed up. lol :lol:
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

If I were expecting to lose the ability to purchase yeast I would probably setup a sour dough starter before running out of the commercial yeast expecting local yeast would infiltrate and dominate over time.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Ol boys says find a good spot in the woods with som fresh disturbed earth. Stick you fermenter under the shade cover with a towel. Let nature do what it does.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Best place to capture wild yeast is outside in an area that is clean. Many people try to capture yeast inside da house. Inside your house is usually a horrible place. The actual air quality inside a sealed up house is not great. And no telling what’s in it. Not saying you all got nasty houses. Just saying the air quality out in the woods is always better. And with better air quality you can get better yeasties.

If you have access to orchards or vineyards or the like. Collecting yeast in those area’s can give great results. Especially if what you are fermenting came from there. Like you fermenting apple’s put the fermenter in the shade out in an apple orchard. Or nearby to some apple trees. Those areas will cultivate yeast that are best suited for that fruit.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Prairiepiss wrote:Best place to capture wild yeast is outside in an area that is clean. Many people try to capture yeast inside da house. Inside your house is usually a horrible place. The actual air quality inside a sealed up house is not great. And no telling what’s in it. Not saying you all got nasty houses. Just saying the air quality out in the woods is always better. And with better air quality you can get better yeasties.

If you have access to orchards or vineyards or the like. Collecting yeast in those area’s can give great results. Especially if what you are fermenting came from there. Like you fermenting apple’s put the fermenter in the shade out in an apple orchard. Or nearby to some apple trees. Those areas will cultivate yeast that are best suited for that fruit.
+1 PP.
I keep forgetting that most folks nowadays ain't never done all their cooking in the woods. I should have mentioned that it should be outside. That was a failure on my part.
My last still site had 2 pear trees separated by about 30ft surrounded by oaks, maples, pawpaw and others. I seldom used store bought yeast, and got a bunch of good tasting likker from that area.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

If someone was to go out and buy 8 of these 15gal drums and 8 50lb bags of dry goods to put in them. And I don’t know maybe 200 cans of canned goods. Would they be considered a prepper? Asking for a friend. :lolno:
B76DDBC0-E5A5-4141-BA93-70D762F059B7.jpeg
Oh and yes I am picking up some of them up tomorrow for grain storage and fermenters. Found a guy that has 15, 17, and 55 gallon food grade with removable sealed tops and rings. For a decent price. My old 55 gal Fermenters have either been repurposed or are ruined. So I am going to replace the old ones and add some more new ones. Figured the smaller ones would be great for beer and wine ferments. And brewing grain storage.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Prairiepiss wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:10 pm If someone was to go out and buy 8 of these 15gal drums and 8 50lb bags of dry goods to put in them. And I don’t know maybe 200 cans of canned goods. Would they be considered a prepper? Asking for a friend. :lolno:
I would call that diligence, carry on. :thumbup:
be water my friend
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Your friend should be careful about buying too much canned goods and storing them too long.

Years ago I worked for a grocer in North Queensland, tropical weather, hot and very humid.

I know they shouldn't have been there but some of the cans on his shelves were so rusted they were lucky to hold together. TRULY.

Geoff
The Baker
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Look for long shelflife items and rotate your stock. Prepare for a large natural disaster but be heavily armed for the looters.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I started prepping while still in school.
Figured to retire early and often.
I've since, retired several times, with the money that comes with it and I'm am still working. :roll:
The only difference is "I" now get to decide when to get up and go to sleep.
The trick to successful prepping. Is to decide what realistically, is the most likely to happen.
And expend time, money and energy accordingly :wink:
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

The Baker wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:02 am Your friend should be careful about buying too much canned goods and storing them too long.

Years ago I worked for a grocer in North Queensland, tropical weather, hot and very humid.

I know they shouldn't have been there but some of the cans on his shelves were so rusted they were lucky to hold together. TRULY.

Geoff
Left some canned goods in a locker on my sailboat a few years back. ‘Bout 4 months it was. Oh, my gawd, what a stench them burst cans made. Took weeks to clear it out.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Hee Hee ,

Reminds me of my grand parents , both were top Bowls players , both won Competitions .
Both considered their winnings their own .... and wouldn’t share .All the winnings went under the bed :?

Alas when my folk had to clean their house out , the tin cans they won like 40 years ago were not so good . :crazy:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Can goods need to be rotated. And they should be things you eat normally. And worked into a schedule so you are using the oldest and replacing with new. I figure if I can turn them over in 6 months to a year. If stored correctly. You shouldn’t have a problem. It’s when people just buy stuff hide it away and think they will be good in a year or 5.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I found a hell of a good prep deal. At the Dollar Tree store no less. It’s a shelf stable milk. They sell Whole, 2%, and I think 1%. For a dollar each quart box. The stuff I bought yesterday has an expiration date of November 2021. So I would guess if you got fresh stock it would be roughly good for a year. Nice to have on hand for cooking and whatever. If you didn’t have access to a milk cow or goat. Powdered milk is always a good prep. But I find this to be a nice option to have on hand. And I can use it as coffee creamer to keep my rotation of stock. I haven’t actually tried it yet. But it can’t be all that bad.

So if anyone is interested. LoL
5554547C-65FC-42D8-A655-AE1CECB77326.jpeg
0B679B6F-1002-4FA6-BBA0-DFC12D5CC8D4.jpeg
6304D015-4F58-404E-8707-DE48DE8C907A.jpeg
17B56344-F339-4C55-948E-825BB926FEEC.jpeg
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

We drank UHT milk when I was stationed in Germany back in the 80s. Not the best tasting stuff, but if mixed with chocolate it was better than nothing. And the good thing was that it would stay good unrefrigerated.
SF

v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Canned condensed milk can last a couple of years. Same or longer for powdered milk. Add as much water by volume to make milk (slightly sweet). When we were kids our milk was mostly powdered (chalky taste) and Mom would fatten it a bit by mixing it with the condensed stuff.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

We purchased this old adobe hacienda from a wheeler-dealer twenty years ago. He remodeled the place back in the 1970s. He was also a welder that used a lot of structural steel and ornamental wrought iron both in the building and for decoration. Much old wagon iron is left behind, welded into the carport walls, in the fencing, welded into the banisters surrounding the swimming pool or up the stairs to the deck on the second floor. More than a dozen wagon wheels are used that way, along with spade or shovel heads, horse collar hanes, hay hooks, ice tongs and other assorted antique knickknacks.
copy01.jpg
I've been kicking one of these around now for the last 20 years, and couldn't figure out what it was. Until yesterday when I discovered what the antique tool was good for.

The wheel is probably the most important mechanical invention of all time. Even before the invention of the automobile, the wheel had undergone much development and refinement. Some of the wooden wheels found on the carriages of the past are marvels of engineering. I spent yesterday studying the famous Sarven Hubs; patented in 1858 and used on the tall and very slender wheels of the light weight shays and phaetons.

This old guy (following) is one of very few wheelwrights still left. Although I don't normally spend much time learning from videos, I watched several of his videos and was able to pick up several scraps of information that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

100 Year Old Buggy Wheel Built Incorrectly | Engels Coach Shop
Attachments
phaeton2.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

(There is something weird going on with the [url] or [attachment] tags today. Can't hide the phaeton image in a link. It keeps showing as an attachment regardless.)
Omnia mea mecum porto
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BamaHawk »

I really don't consider myself a "prepper", per se, but I do consider myself more prepared for emergency situations than most. I have been involved in many things that have provided me with survival knowledge and skills that likely outpaces the "normal" individual (backpacker, medic, carpenter, butcher, stiller, candle maker, hunter, fisher, gardener, food preserver, wilderness survival trained, ropes specialist (repelling and climbing), Boy Scout leader, and the list likely goes on.....

Given the above skills/education and the tools that go with them, I may not be an expert but feel fairly comfortable that I have the supplies to survive short term (a few months) with minimal difficulties and the knowledge, during that time, to develop longer term sustainable solutions.

I've read back through the posts in this thread and it appears there are primarily two schools of thought:
  • The every man for himself and screw the rest mentality.
  • The let's all work together and sing Kumbaya mentality.
I personally believe there is not a single answer and that we will likely see both in a true global or regional SHTF situation. I think the recent pandemic is a perfect example of this. Look at what happened in March/April when the hording of supplies began (toilet paper :roll: , sanitizer, canned food, cleaning supplies, water, ammo, etc...). There were people who were left "empty handed" for some of these supplies and others who had their pantry full and refused to share.

At the same time, I saw some communities come together to support each other, to help ensure the elderly and incapacitated had what they needed, and they worked together to try and make the most of a rough situation.

All this being said, if we see a true SHTF situation then I would expect to see more of the "every man for himself" coming from urban areas and more of the "let's work together" coming from the rural areas. This comment isn't a knock on one area or the other, it's just the simple fact that rural populations are typically more skilled in making do without some of the luxuries seen in larger urban areas. The rural people are more likely, in normal times, to plant gardens, hunt, fish, chop wood, dig wells, etc... than those people in urban settings where those skills are just not always possible to hone. I think this fact will likely make the urban population come to a stark reality very quickly that they are completely dependent on their necessities to live being supplied by someone else than by providing those necessities for themselves.

My thoughts are not "all or nothing" as I'm sure there are urban individuals with survival skills and there are rural individuals without. I'm just saying, at a high level, this is what I would anticipate.

edit: "yes" for the reasons outlined above.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

contrahead said, 'I've been kicking one of these around now for the last 20 years, and couldn't figure out what it was. Until yesterday when I discovered what the antique tool was good for.'

Hi,
You have left me in suspense!

What WAS it used for?
Did you say and I missed it?

Geoff
The Baker