backset in the garden

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

backset in the garden

Post by Fiddleford »

Anyone use backset in the garden? I imagine it being pure plant nutrient so you would need to dilute it or it would make a excellent plant killer due to over feeding of the plant
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: backset in the garden

Post by Swedish Pride »

great weedkiller right out of the still. hot acid stuff kills weeds good.

not great if you have neighbours close by, stinks the place up good
Don't be a dick
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Just so happen to have a “ditch” in my lawn that runs away from my carport ( distilling area )

Pretty much brown grass in that there ditch Fiddle :D

Edit : oh yeah ... what swedish said about the stench :shh:
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

Damn, I heard of people using beer in their garden diluted about half a cup to a gallon
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Different plants like different types of soil. Some thrive and flower in akali soil, while other like soil on the acidic side. Dunder/backset can be very acidic and repeated dumping in one place will build up the acidic salts in that place. I could see using it in a limited amount and infrequently near some established plants that like acidic soil, but I would not be dumping mine as a rule near a place where I want to grow things.

I’m a city dweller and have some underground rain drains that lead to the curb gutters. I’ll often save up backset for a rainy day then down the drain and away in the gutter it goes. I also usually do it at night, when the color of gutter water isn’t easily noticed by folks walking by. When it’s a dry spell I use the same system, and simply flush it with some fresh water afterward to wash away most of the dark liquid.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

3/4 of my property is covered by large Douglas firs, the remaining by White Oak, so acidic is mostly the lay of the land. Add to it we are on a hill of solid bedrock, so drainage is a bit slow and it sits and smells for a while, so the quickest way outta this burb is right down the ol' drain. I have however when it rains use it to kill large swaths of vegitation as I relandscape the property, not as fast as the nasty chemical stuff but works and less toxic for sure!
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

You can kill almost any plant by urinating on it repeatedly.

I use backset on the garden – or on any other shrub or ornamental that needs a drink of vitamins. I would not worry about acid either unless you already have extremely acidic soil. Most soils are lacking in one way or another.

A long while back I watched this show where this old gardener offered up some tricks. On the subject of plant food he suggested (and which I faithfully did for several years) pouring kitchen liquids into a collection jug rather than down the sink. Cold tea or coffee, milk, stale sodas, beer, wine, soup, unused fruit beverages and syrups and the like were collected together and eventually poured out upon the needy plants outside. Just like mixing up “Miracle Grow” plant food to fertilizing your lilies, almost all plants can use the extra vitamins and minerals and sugars that the plant food might provide. As far as I am concerned, spent mash makes excellent plant food too.

Several years ago I came home after being on a long trip, to find that a wash in the fermentation bucket had gone bad or infected because of my neglect. I poured the 5 gallons onto a young elm tree that had been transplanted along a fence. The next year the tree took off like Jack's magic bean stalk, doubling or tripling its size in no time.
Omnia mea mecum porto
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Like is said before: hot backset of course kills. Not only weeds, but also animals.
And of course: when you live on rocky soil, the fluid flows away.
But that being said: backset is a fluid with a lot of nutrients and it is a shame to waste them: a garden can profit from them.

It is also said that the prolonged distribution of whiskey backset in Scotland over meadows finally caused copper poisoning in the grazing sheep. But sheep are very susceptible for copper poisoning.

A compostheap is a very good instrument to mix all kinds of organic waste and put them to good use. If you don't have one: distribute your organic waste at random in your garden.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

If it is cooled and Ph corrected to 6+ it is fine sprayed on grass.

I use calcium carbonate and or calcium Hydroxide to adjust Ph.

Try a small batch first.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

contrahead wrote:You can kill almost any plant by urinating on it repeatedly.
with patience and perseverance you can piss a hole through a stone...

i dump my backset in the back field. the grass grows like a mofo except where the grain is too thick and forms a mulch layer.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

I tried it on one of my stunted plants and some oak sapling I got sprouting they aint dead yet and its been a day so I think its fine.

We don't have oak where I'm from so I'm transplanting some over here to introduce the species to my town and surrounding area
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Fiddleford wrote:
We don't have oak where I'm from so I'm transplanting some over here to introduce the species to my town and surrounding area
I kinda cringe when I here things like this . A hundred years ago , a local doctor who was a mad gardener introduced some Camphor Laural trees to our town . There flourished in this environment . Now they are local shire councils biggest nightmere .

Not to mention the Privot the settlers planted to make cheap hedge fences or the pretty Lantana :twisted:
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

I know all about that :crazy: when I was cutting trees Manitoba maple (elder box) was all we would cut and they sprout up like weeds here.. so much damn foliage to deal with its ridiculous.

The places I will plant them is along the power lines in the country out of site near my family's houses the deer usually deal with the acorns pretty damn quick so I gotta be on them not to kill my saplings. once they get old enough if I remember I'll make some bows, instruments and if they get big enough and age long enough staves
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I had a feeling you’ll put them to good use Fiddle . :D