Large frame garden tractors

Moderator: Site Moderator

bcgold
Novice

Large frame garden tractors

Post by bcgold »

More out of necessity, we get plenty of snow and have a long driveway and the dog needs walking trails, the first tractor we had was a grey market Kubota with a two stage snowblower that did an awesome job.

That is until the brass crown gear self destructed in the snowblower then learned the replacement cost was a tad over two large ones.

Could have bore the pain but soon learned the brass crown gear was made with a process called powdered metallurgy. They pour powdere brass into a cookie mold them compress it under hydraulic pressure - Nope not for me.

Sold the Kubota then found this old Simplicity 9020 my neighbor had with a seized Onan engine, bought the tractor, snowblower and tiller as a package.

Took most of the summer to find a replacement engine the thing I love the most about the older Onan's no matter how cold it is outside that engine wil start every time.

I like the Onan so much that when this Allis Chalmers 720, ssme tractor as the Simplicity branded and painted for Allis Chalmers. Anyhow when I was told about the Allis being sold from Alberta bought it then paid the seller millage to transport the tractor to Manitoba.

Both tractors are from 1975, the Allis had a blown hydro static transmission, never had seen the insides of one before but had worked for a shop that did automatic transmissions. The fear factor long gone.

The hydro static transmission is actually a lot simpler that an automatic trans.

Bearings and gaskets were off the shelf parts and Simplicity the manufacture of both tractors used the bullet proof Sundstrand hydro that you can still get internal parts for but Simplicity had used their own rear casting for the hydro to connect to the trans axle. Took almost a year to find that part.

They"re a pretty cool tractor, rear PTO,3 point hitch, front PTO with a three speed manual transmission coupled to a hydro static drive so each gear is infinite.

The Allis being delivered from Alberta.