Drones

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big River
Novice

Drones

Post by Big River »

I didn't see this on the site, but I picked up a DJI Mavic Mini in Dec and love this thing. Your phone is connected to the controller and you fly based on first person view. Max distance is around 8-10 km line of site and folded up its the size of a smart phone. It shoots up to 2.7k video and has three fly modes. Super simple to use and I'd recommend it to anyone as a first drone. It only weighs 249 grams and is under the required weight to register with FAA.

Big River
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Drones

Post by still_stirrin »

I have a P4P. Works great.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

got several from proto x, to trex 500, DJI Phantom 3 and several others.

this was from 9 years ago flying with one hand and taking pictures

with the other in the living room :esurprised:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19707#p6886495
be water my friend
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

I've got a p4, Mavic pro, and a p3 pro they sure are fun. But being in Washington state they are put away right now. To cold and wet to fly them. I really enjoy getting a really good photo captured, upload it to Costco and get it printed onto metal to hang on the wall.
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Neighbour got one a year or so ago

Really hate distilling after that . Fucker would randomly do fly overs .

Anyway …. He gone now .( Not my doing … just happened he couldn’t afford place anymore )

Peace is restored to my back yard .

Keep your Drones in your own space . Some folk don’t like them .

I didn’t like seeing drone flying over little kids being little kids down beech . Some perves need their Drones smashed .

Rant over .

All you responsible Drone owners knock your socks off .
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

I fly farm fields to survey the crops. Sometimes cinematic aerial photography of scenic lands. I never fly over people or invade privacy. Always fly within the law, respecting people.

My drone is a “tool”, not a “weapon”.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

My son in law has one and I would love to get one. One thing I would want to do after I felt comfortable flying it is to photographing my boat under way. I would love to have videos.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:17 am Neighbour got one a year or so ago

Anyway …. He gone now .( Not my doing … just happened he couldn’t afford place anymore )

I didn’t like seeing drone flying over little kids being little kids down beech . Some perves need their Drones smashed .

Rant over .

best ought not to be flying one over my backyard in range of the squirrlin' rifle, lest you'd be buying a new toy. i like 'em in their place, as a tool in your own space or in remote public space but they piss me off in public spaces for hiking/non motorized recreation. when i'm on the trails i'm looking for peace and quiet and critters to look at and a drone is not helpful to any of those pursuits.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
leont
Novice

Post by leont »

I've only recently become interested in drones and have heard a lot of good things about DJI, so I decided to start with the small one, the DJI Mini SE. I needed to learn how to fly a drone and make it a good experience. I managed to capture the surroundings and not lose the drone! I plan to take it with me and shoot beautiful mountainous landscapes, but for now I'm afraid to lose it.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I almost bought a DJI mini last week, and decided against it. As much fun as they sound, reality sunk in and I convinced myself I wouldnt get that much time to actually fly it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Rant over .

I got lots going on,on my property. My 12gauge awaits the irresponsible pilot.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Bradster68 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:55 pm

Rant over .

This.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Chauncey wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:02 pm

Rant over .

This.
I like being alone :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

On my Christmas list.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Bradster68 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:55 pm… My 12gauge awaits the irresponsible pilot.
Aimed at “the pilot”? Felony.

And, to the FAA, a drone is a legal (unmanned) aircraft. It is illegal to shoot at one. So don’t do it or you may end up in court.

Also, you don’t “own” the airspace above your property, so it isn’t considered trespassing. Sure, the drone shall not fly in close proximity as that can create a safety concern. And “spying” is also illegal, so it can be prosecuted.

However, the drone pilot cannot launch from your property, if it is posted “No Tresspassing”.

These are the current laws regarding “unmanned aircraft”. And big tech is protecting the legislation for commercial purposes.

I know, privacy is a prerogative, but the drone laws are already being legislated. It would be best to simply communicate with the pilot and ask them to refrain from flying over your property.
ss
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

.22 long rifle with a can.
Harder for the bastards to figure out what happened :ebiggrin:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Big River
Novice

Post by Big River »

I have the original DJI mini , and my brother has the mini 2. Great machines and you just can't beat the movies from altitude.

They are easy to learn. I always bring mine on vacations especially to any areas with mountains. Much safer for edge of cliff photos than falling off the edge like so many idiots doing nowadays.

I especially like to pull out the drone (size of iphone) to go see what's causing wreck ahead on highway when traffic stopped. I've been asked to help by area sheriff's dept in overhead searches too.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Big River wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:25 pm I have the original DJI mini , and my brother has the mini 2. Great machines and you just can't beat the movies from altitude.

They are easy to learn. I always bring mine on vacations especially to any areas with mountains. Much safer for edge of cliff photos than falling off the edge like so many idiots doing nowadays.

I especially like to pull out the drone (size of iphone) to go see what's causing wreck ahead on highway when traffic stopped. I've been asked to help by area sheriff's dept in overhead searches too.
I think drones are pretty cool. The recreational type pictures and movies you could get is the hook for me.
However, what I dislike most is the idea of helping out the sheriffs dept.
Big River now don’t get me wrong. I understand the benefit a few private individuals with drones could be for a search and rescue. But one thing tends to lead to another, especially with the law. Once you open that door they ain’t leaving. Next thing you know some nosy or disgruntled “do-good” is “helping out” by searching and reporting on their neighbors.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Just_Doug
Novice

Post by Just_Doug »

I fly a DJI Mavic Air 2 for work, I get in a couple hours a week in the air. For the work I do I am required to fly over other peoples property. As a drone piolet all I can say is please put the guns down until you know if it's a nosey neighbor or a working guy just doing his job. I've had the cops called on me before because I was flying a house next to the city pool. I get it purvey folks are everywhere but it was still a pain in the ass downloading all the images for the cops to look at.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Just_Doug wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:01 pm I fly a DJI Mavic Air 2 for work, I get in a couple hours a week in the air. For the work I do I am required to fly over other peoples property. As a drone piolet all I can say is please put the guns down until you know if it's a nosey neighbor or a working guy just doing his job. I've had the cops called on me before because I was flying a house next to the city pool. I get it purvey folks are everywhere but it was still a pain in the ass downloading all the images for the cops to look at.
Agreed. They do have their place and just like everything else it probably takes a couple bad apples to spoil the bunch.
I just get a little trigger happy sometimes. 🍻
Big River
Novice

Post by Big River »

Stonecutter wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:52 pm
Big River wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:25 pm I have the original DJI mini , and my brother has the mini 2. Great machines and you just can't beat the movies from altitude.

I think drones are pretty cool. The recreational type pictures and movies you could get is the hook for me.
Man killed his girlfriend drove off with their 5 yr old and threw him off the bridge a mile from my house. My deputy friend asked to look for body in the water. Unfortunately the kid died of hypothermia overnight on a spot of land. I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable but in the south we help out.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Big River wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:15 pm

Man killed his girlfriend drove off with their 5 yr old and threw him off the bridge a mile from my house. My deputy friend asked to look for body in the water. Unfortunately the kid died of hypothermia overnight on a spot of land. I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable but in the south we help out.
You piece of shit. Don’t hand pick a quote out of my response and then try to use a story about a dead 5 year old to try and make me look bad. I don’t give a fuck how they do it in the south you can come out here to the west and find out how we handle slanderous bullshit.

Edit: I am a proud Husband to my Wife and an even prouder Father to my 4 yr old. To even hint that I wouldn’t help out any way I possibly could in a situation like that causes me to stir. Don’t get sideways with the situation Big River.
Last edited by Stonecutter on Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Thomas Paine
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Big River now don’t get me wrong. I understand the benefit a few private individuals with drones could be for a search and rescue. But one thing tends to lead to another, especially with the law. Once you open that door they ain’t leaving. Next thing you know some nosy or disgruntled “do-good” is “helping out” by searching and reporting on their neighbors.
-Thomas Paine
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:38 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:55 pm… My 12gauge awaits the irresponsible pilot.
Aimed at “the pilot”? Felony.

And, to the FAA, a drone is a legal (unmanned) aircraft. It is illegal to shoot at one. So don’t do it or you may end up in court.

Also, you don’t “own” the airspace above your property, so it isn’t considered trespassing. Sure, the drone shall not fly in close proximity as that can create a safety concern. And “spying” is also illegal, so it can be prosecuted.

However, the drone pilot cannot launch from your property, if it is posted “No Tresspassing”.

These are the current laws regarding “unmanned aircraft”. And big tech is protecting the legislation for commercial purposes.

I know, privacy is a prerogative, but the drone laws are already being legislated. It would be best to simply communicate with the pilot and ask them to refrain from flying over your property.
ss
Yes I may have worded that wrong. I would never point a firearm at anyone ever. The drone in question would have to be uncomfortably close for me to take action.
Again flying at a respectable height over one's private property is a must for drone owners. Many friends have them and I see how things can get carried away.
The whole being respectful thing goes both ways. Hopefully that scenario never plays out🍻
Big River
Novice

Post by Big River »

Stonecutter wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:15 pm
Big River wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:15 pm

You piece of shit. Don’t hand pick a quote out of my response and then try to use a story about a dead 5 year old to try and make me look bad. I don’t give a fuck how they do it in the south you can come out here to the west and find out how we handle slanderous bullshit.
So you want me to come out west to what? Shoot me? Slander? Surely you jest. By the way, these drones are invisible and silent at 100 feet above you. You might want to get some radar of they bother you so much.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

What set me off were the very last two lines of your initial response. Being a Dad it got to my emotions which believe or not I do try to control. And you may be a Dad as well, either way..
Big River wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:15 pm Unfortunately the kid died of hypothermia overnight on a spot of land. I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable but in the south we help out.
I’m sure a lot of members think I overreacted and there are probably just as many that think I was justified in how I reacted. I may or may not have overreacted. I could have said what I said without expletives but there’s also other ways to try and justify your affinity towards drones. In the end I stand by my statements. There are a million ways to debate the subject of privacy and drones without bringing up the death of children.

Your follow up response leads me to believe that you still haven’t read my initial response to you or that I wasn’t clear enough in my meaning. Either way I’m over it.
Moving on
-Thomas Paine