Post by Barney17 »

image.png
9bb10dd749c85d1cd487722a5cf209d7.jpg
9bb10dd749c85d1cd487722a5cf209d7.jpg (11.7 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
ad05a709eb4495320dc5a050c8ca319f.jpg
64c663f8bf8a54b7c2c9e639f7e21e7e.jpg
3dee0f42599f8c8c47ad97b5cad4c0ea.jpg
9ea8c80e6485ba6f8e5834aec92558d7.jpg
Bought the international body from someone who imports from america, married onto a chassis from an old 1972 v6 3 litre ford essex engined scimitar. rebiult engine etc. got a fair way to go yet building it for my boy. its gonna be his first car. Hope he takes his time his mother will not be happy.lol. Once it warms up a bit will get back on it.but just getting into all grain and as it goes its taking most of my time up at moment.Barney
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: pickup

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

An old 390 in that would be hot
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Barney17
Novice

Post by Barney17 »

yes mate a 390 would be great. its hard getting stuff in uk. i would give anything to live in america. The cars and engines are amazing, you cant drive down the road for a test drive without unwanted attention. if you where to drive down the road to try the engine , you would lose the car. anyway thanks for looking . barney
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Great looking project truck. Good luck with your progress.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

One of my potential projects has been to convert my old Chevy 4x4 into an off-road dragon slayer. I've drawn some differing potential looks, for its final exterior. While browsing “Pinterest” pictures one day, I found this image of an off-road pickup. I pinned it to my computer's Desktop as I sometimes do, so that I could look at it again, before it got filed away and forgotten within a folder of hundreds or thousands of other pictures...
changeshot003b.jpg
This particular picture stayed on top of the Desktop screen for several weeks (a long time considering). My appreciation for the the amount of work that went into the project grew. From what I could tell from the image, the undercarriage looked modern and sophisticated - probably a “rock-crawler” suspension. If that much money was spent on the suspension then naturally you would suspect that the engine would be “cherried-out” too. The proportions of step-sided, short-bed, short wheel base, large tires and fender flair all balanced out well with each other cosmetically. The wood “cattle rack” adds a nice touch as does the green/black rusted patina look; although that is not a finish that I might have chosen. All in all, a polished look.

It occurred to me that the cab must have been lowered, and if so then a new windshield and door windows must have been fabricated. I began searching for pictures of old pickup trucks, to determine what year this model was. I'm a child of the 60's; so while I have a fair knowledge of cars and trucks made between 1950 and 1980, the details of automobiles made outside that range I've generally ignored. I knew at least enough to suspect though, that the cab belonged to the 1930's.
Tp1b.jpg
Tp2b.jpg
I searched until I was blue in the face but found no match. That's because (as I now suspect) the image in the first picture is of a damn radio controlled toy... I wasted much time searching, before coming to that embarrassing conclusion. Finally I used a bit of 'GOOGLE-FU' where the image in question is itself selected for inquiry - which led to the revelation that its source came from rccrawler.com (RC = radio controlled). There's actually a crowd of people today, that spend their entire earnings to fabricating their dream (life sized) off-road rock crawler. Once in the woods and camping, they'll then bring out their little toys too. When not in lawn chairs drinking beer around the campfire, grown adults will spend time steering their pricey little RC 4x4's through the mud and trees.

Tp3b.jpg

The last three images in the composite picture above, prove that one must be cautious before trusting any kind of Internet information. The black pickup in the lower left corner was labeled as a “1935 Ford” when this image was captured. The identical vehicle though was labeled as a Dodge ram on other sites. The next two images to the right, look identical except for paint jobs; yet one was labeled “1935 Ford 4x4” and the other “GMC Pickup”.

This last composite picture below is of odds and ends, left over from image searching. The “rat-rods” at top are curious. They've taken Army Jeeps and converted them into something that couldn't negotiate a speed bump in the parking lot of a shopping mall.

Tp4b.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto