Bacillus Subtillis

Moderator: Site Moderator

hunchoz
Novice

Bacillus Subtillis

Post by hunchoz »

Hi I found a way to make Bacillus Subtilis Natto Naturally , all you need is maple leaves. After your first time, you wont need any more leaves, you can reuse.
[utube][/utube]

[utube][/utube] Part 2
Last edited by hunchoz on Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bacillus Subtillis

Post by bluc »

Does this produce a more pronounced peated whiskey?
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

hunchoz wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:16 pm Hi I found a way to make Bacillus Subtilis Natto Naturally , all you need is maple leaves. After your first time, you wont need any more leaves, you can reuse.
I read where it could be used to produce amylase enzymes. Where can one get a culture of it, and how do you anticipate that it could be harnessed and used by a hobbyist distiller?

You say that all you need is “maple leaves”. Is that presumably a very reliable source then of the natural bacteria? If so, do you think maple leaves in New Hampshire or Ohio will host as much of the bacillus as leaves from Japan?

What is the medium that the bacillus culture is being grown on in the video? Soybeans and chopped ginger root?
Omnia mea mecum porto
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Nope. Now I'm guessing that the growth medium is soybeans and a type of scallion (Allium fistulosum or “naganegi”). I gather that some Japanese that don't mind the oder, will pound “natto” down like a breakfast cereal.

For growing distilling enzymes, it might be better to use chopped ginger root anyway, rather than "Welsh bunching onions"; seeing how ginger itself is also a source of a-Amylase.

Ginger root as a source of a-Amylase enzyme ???

Using Ginger root for Amylase?
Omnia mea mecum porto
hunchoz
Novice

Post by hunchoz »

contrahead wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:11 am Nope. Now I'm guessing that the growth medium is soybeans and a type of scallion (Allium fistulosum or “naganegi”). I gather that some Japanese that don't mind the oder, will pound “natto” down like a breakfast cereal.

For growing distilling enzymes, it might be better to use chopped ginger root anyway, rather than "Welsh bunching onions"; seeing how ginger itself is also a source of a-Amylase.

Ginger root as a source of a-Amylase enzyme ???

Using Ginger root for Amylase?
Maple Leaves is all you need, They naturally have the bacteria. Its very reliable. I tried it many times. My friend also done it with oak leaves. No cuture needed. Temperature 90 f. Yes I used soybeans but also works for lima beans, black eyed peas and most likely any bean. Also you can add gelatin to increase polyglutamic acid.
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

I'm not Japanese, but I love natto. In fact, I'm steaming some soybeans for a batch right now. Not sure how it relates to distilling, though.
hunchoz
Novice

Post by hunchoz »

sweeps wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:35 am I'm not Japanese, but I love natto. In fact, I'm steaming some soybeans for a batch right now. Not sure how it relates to distilling, though.
It doesnt, but People spend alot of money on starters, so im showing a way to make free at home.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Is this specific to Maple Leafs in any area of NA?
Not easy to find a maple in the prairies but maybe I'll get lucky.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bacillus Subtillis does produce enzymes suitable for converting starches, but the effort of getting those enzymes into a mash might be more worth it for fuel production than for whiskey. Gaining extra fermentables from your grains to boost ethanol in your mash will dilute your grain flavors just as surely as adding sugar will.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

hunchoz wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:36 pm
It doesnt (relate to distilling), but People spend alot of money on starters,
Well it could. “Natto” itself may not relate to distilling unless someone was attempting to reap ethanol from beans, but Bactillus subtilis can and has, been used to manufacture high temperature a-amalyase. (Amylase is very important to commercial distilling). I was hoping you were some biochemist or something that had a hot new idea for making homemade a-amylase.
clip_image018-2.jpg
Enzymes consist of amino acids. Enzymes are not living organisms but are proteins that act as a catalyst. A-Amylase which distillers are mainly interested in, can come from several sources; including malted grains (esp barley, wheat, corn), soybeans, ginger root, sweet potato and even human saliva. Commercial amylases used in commercial brewing and distilling have often come from fungal sources like Aspergillus oryzae (koji mold) or Aspergillus niger (black mold); but now are increasingly coming from bacterial sources like Bacillus amyloliquefaciens, Bacillus licheniformis and increasingly perhaps - Bactillus subtilis.

There are a bunch of commercial enzymes <here is a list> used by all sorts of industries. You'll find Bactillus subtilis mentioned several times in the list as being the “production organism” for different enzymes. In fact you'll find Bactillus subtilis being increasingly lauded as being a “super-secreting cell factory”. B.subtilis has proven to be robust and flexible in the laboratory and in the future, industry holds great expectations for it.
Omnia mea mecum porto