Do we have any outdoor cooking enthusiast around

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sailman
Swill Maker

Do we have any outdoor cooking enthusiast around

Post by Sailman »

Is there anybody on the site that builds their own cookers and uses them? About 15 years ago I worked for a company that made high pressure vessels, we specialized in propane tanks of all sizes and this is what I made while I was at work. Currently in the middle of a refit.
20181020_060317.jpg
20181020_060317.jpg
20181020_085040.jpg
20181020_095404.jpg
Last edited by Sailman on Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Do we have any outdoor cooking enthusiast around

Post by Dancing4dan »

Nice stuff! Love outdoor cooking. Have not built any of my own equipment though.
Usually run one of the smokers on the days I mash and distill.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

I've got a stick burner smoker. Haven't used it in two years. I moved and don't know anybody to invite now. Just me and the better half. Use to smoke something every weekend. I love cast iron on the fire to.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

20170603_202001.jpg
I used to cook more than I do now but the grill was just rusting away so I decided to get her out cleaned up.
20181006_191803.jpg
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Dang, that's some nice looking gear.

No question, grilled and slow cooked / smoked meat is simply superior.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

FFFE9DEA-6139-487D-8050-367ADC07F18E.jpeg
I’m smoking this pig-head for tacos on Halloween. Never done a whole head. I’m thinking a simple dry rub the night before and then 225 for 8ish hours with. Any suggestions?? I use a GMG pellet smoker.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

My wife bought a pig's head many years ago.
Looked at the teeth.
Buried it!

Geoff
The Baker
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Two briskets smoked yesterday.
20211021_195752.jpg
20211021_195304.jpg
20211021_100848.jpg
20211021_122910.jpg
20211021_195610.jpg
20211021_195923.jpg
20211021_100906.jpg
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Is that Shrimp in your slaw SBB?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Nothing so exciting ,grated carrot.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Dang that looks good I need to hurry up and get mine back together so I can start cooking again. When I cook pork shoulders and butts I usually throw on a pot of beans on the grill as well.
20191026_083112.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I've got a 16 pound pork butt thawing for a slow smoke this weekend. :thumbup:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

I love my Oklahoma Joe Pro Drum Smoker with the Smokai, (from New Zealand,) cold smoke pellet tube on the side that I added, so I can also cold smoke cheeses. Here's a batch of my Smoked Salmon. A wonderful addition to my Weber 4 burner propane grill and my PK charcoal grill.
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

I've got a bit of a pizza problem. Built a wood oven in the backyard. This has not helped me lose weight.
oven1.jpg
shroom.jpg
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

I do love me a stick burner. However of late with a move and mostly an empty nest I have been using a XL Big Green Egg. Not the same, but does a very fine job on a lot of different items. I went down the smoking meat rabbit hole with an Ugly Drum I built and never looked back.
If in doubt leave it out.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

FLOB wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:20 am Built a wood oven in the backyard. This has not helped me lose weight.
Same here. I think brick ovens do that to you. The other stuff helps jack on the pounds too.

BTW, great looking corniche on that pie, FLOB.
IMG_6303 copy.jpg
IMG_6614 copy.jpg
_MG_3663A.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:01 am
FLOB wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:20 am Built a wood oven in the backyard. This has not helped me lose weight.
Same here. I think brick ovens do that to you. The other stuff helps jack on the pounds too.

BTW, great looking corniche on that pie, FLOB.
IMG_6303 copy.jpg

IMG_6614 copy.jpg
_MG_3663A.jpg
Your brickwork is much nicer than mine. The oven was the first bricks and blocks I ever set. Very cool floor too. The pizza making is a blast. I use the oven whenever I can. Definitely puts a dent in my available stilling time.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I made this for the side burner.
IMG_20190511_081157.jpg
20190511_075733.jpg
20190509_194620.jpg
20190509_194649.jpg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

That's some nice looking brickwork in that oven dome Twisted.
The floor looks different to most I've seen, what's the deal with It?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thank you Bill. It was my first project cutting masonry and turned out ok.

The floor is soapstone. It is very dense (seems like it's twice the weight of granite) and has a much higher operating temperature than the common fire brick used in the dome. It makes for thin, crispy pizza bottoms while preserving the light, airy dough inside, but is too hot for baking loaves of bread. I burned more loaves than I could count before I learned how to tame it.

I also learned why it's called soapstone. It is very soft and cuts like butter with a wet saw, but foams up and feels just like hand soap on your hands. Cool stuff, but spendy, like $50-100 a square foot.
Soapstone cut copy.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

FLOB I also have a problem with pizza. I just can’t seem to eat enough of it! :moresarcasm:
You and twisted are putting my little pizza oven to shame!! How do you guys find the time :crazy: I’ve got a three year old running around and it’s all I can do to mash and/or make a run on the weekends. Cheers!!

Green Mountain Grill Wood Fired Pizza Oven for Daniel Boone, Ledge, Jim Bowie & Peak Pellet Grill
-Thomas Paine
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Twisted Brick said, 'Thank you Bill. It was my first project cutting masonry and turned out ok.'

It's bloody beautiful.

Geoff
The Baker
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ive seen soapstone before , pretty sure it the stuff they gave as to carve in art class's at school, also the same thing "Boilermakers/ Engineers Chalk" is .
Never seen it here in slabs like that though.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Confession, I have only read about 1/2 the posts in this thread but does anyone use grilling mats? On our boat to keep things clean I have been using one on the bbq. It sure makes cleaning easier but not sure if anyone feels it effects the flavor as I am old and don’t notice a difference.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Bushman wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:39 am Confession, I have only read about 1/2 the posts in this thread but does anyone use grilling mats? On our boat to keep things clean I have been using one on the bbq. It sure makes cleaning easier but not sure if anyone feels it effects the flavor as I am old and don’t notice a difference.
While I have some, I find that I never use them. I do most of my home and RV travel grilling on either a "flat top" steel grill or on Grill-Grates. The Grill Grates are great on both gas and charcoal/wood fired BBQ's.

https://www.grillgrate.com/science-of-grillgrates/
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:41 am Ive seen soapstone before , pretty sure it the stuff they gave as to carve in art class's at school, also the same thing "Boilermakers/ Engineers Chalk" is .
Never seen it here in slabs like that though.
It is the same stuff given to grade schoolers worldwide to carve on. It's contrasting veins (talc) make the slabs prized for kitchen countertops.

I dove deep into safety research before going with soapstone because it can contain talc. From the law analysis I read, an American law firm admitted it's litigation was a shot in the dark, but was successful in convincing a jury that talc (baby powder) contains asbestos and set a precedent for tens of thousands of subsequent meritless lawsuits costing Johnson and Johnson upwards of $4B to date. On news of the original US verdict, independent labs' (in Germany and the Netherlands) extensive investigations revealed no such association of asbestos with talc.

I mention this because whiskey stones are made from soapstone. FWIW, I made a beautiful set from some offcuts and their effectiveness was less than inspiring.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

The Baker wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:14 am Twisted Brick said, 'Thank you Bill. It was my first project cutting masonry and turned out ok.'

It's bloody beautiful.

Geoff
Thanks for the kind words, Geoff. I really enjoyed the build.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I am an outdoor cooking enthusiast in my head, but living in an area when the mean rainfall in the winter months is only marginally more than in the summer months I don't do a lot. We're planning a (covered) outdoor kitchen but since I need to finish a retaining wall, the extension, the cabin for the kids and a wooden terrasse surrounding the entire house (and hopefully a brewing and stilling shed) I suspect that the outdoor kitchen is going to remain on the back burner for some time to come!

Grew up barbecuing on a Weber and for some time smoked a lot of mackerel, but I don't have a decent fishmonger here and don't seem to have the time (See the above list!)
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Sailman wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:14 am I made this for the side burner.
I have (had / the son has ripped it off) what the locals around here call a “disca” or a “disco”. Thought I had a picture of it but apparently not. It looks like this.
changeshot008.jpg
Mine is about 24” dia and can either be used over a propane burner as in the picture or it can stand on 4 legs over a fire. The legs are simply four- 10” concrete anchor bolts; the nuts are welded to the bottom of the disk so the legs can be unscrewed and packed away.
Omnia mea mecum porto
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

No drift intended,,,this a a very good thread.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.