Juice from berries turn "jelly"

Sweetened spirits with various flavors

Moderator: Site Moderator

rug
Novice

Juice from berries turn "jelly"

Post by rug »

Hi

I tried to make a delicious raspberry liquer the other day.

I squeezed juice from the berries and added strong alcohol to mix to around 40% alcohol.

An instant reaction happened....a "jelly" or "snotty" substance appeared. Approximately 50% of the volume in the bottle was nice and drinkable. The other 50% was very unpleasant to drink. It tasted good, but the "mouth feeling" was bad.

Why does this happen? And how to avoid it?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Juice from berries turn "jelly"

Post by Demy »

I can't give a scientific answer but I would say that the particles dissolved in the juice reacted with alcohol and are coagulated ..
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

The pectin from the fruit set into a jelly. You can try using pectinase, pectin enzyme, to break it (the fruit) down prior to steeping in alcohol. Had this with peaches. Was hazy, so I let it sit in the refrigerator for a loooong time. When I checked on it the top half was nice and clear, the bottom was like an alcoholic preserve.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

zed255 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:22 am The pectin from the fruit set into a jelly. You can try using pectinase, pectin enzyme, to break it (the fruit) down prior to steeping in alcohol. Had this with peaches. Was hazy, so I let it sit in the refrigerator for a loooong time. When I checked on it the top half was nice and clear, the bottom was like an alcoholic preserve.
Yep.
"Jelly fish".
A tall, wide mouth cylindrical vessel will allow you to pour off the clear with out disrupting the jellyfish (if you don't get greedy).
Only problem is that there is flavor in that jelly fish. Sigh.....
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

May be good on morning toast :D
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Experiment with adding extra sugar and gelatin to turn it into jelly shots. If you get it right, they can be a great party treat.
rug
Novice

Post by rug »

NZChris wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:36 pm Experiment with adding extra sugar and gelatin to turn it into jelly shots. If you get it right, they can be a great party treat.
:sick:
rug
Novice

Post by rug »

:lol:
bluc wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:18 pm May be good on morning toast :D
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

But to avoid it, I have been using a lot stronger alcohol and macerating fruit rather than adding juice, a different method I know but I would have thought a similar end result.

Maybe if the ABV was higher, you would not have gotten the jelly effect?

Just my thoughts.

But I must say, I do like the idea of the Jelly shots also!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
rug
Novice

Post by rug »

:thumbup:
Thanks, this sounds logic. I will try!
We have same problem with cloudberries :)
zed255 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:22 am The pectin from the fruit set into a jelly. You can try using pectinase, pectin enzyme, to break it (the fruit) down prior to steeping in alcohol. Had this with peaches. Was hazy, so I let it sit in the refrigerator for a loooong time. When I checked on it the top half was nice and clear, the bottom was like an alcoholic preserve.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I doubt you will get jelly if you don't squeeze the fruit. We've always put the drained fruit onto icecream for deserts and only used the free run liquor for making liqueur.
heinz99
Novice

Post by heinz99 »

Agree, its fruit pectin!
The alcohol has a reaction with the pectin and gells it - exactly what sugar does when you cook a jam.
Essentially the alcohol has a dehydrating effect - it enhances the pectin’s gel-forming capability by drawing water to itself, decreasing the ability of the pectin to remain in separate chains.

A Bit geeky, but yes, a pectinase will sort you out - or try and steep whole berries by not damaging the cellwall (the pectin will then remain intact..