Iwine licorice love sipper

Sweetened spirits with various flavors

Moderator: Site Moderator

iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

I have been looking for a good sipper for quite a while, but wanted something a little different
It started off with Birdwatchers neutral. I must be starting to get good at this this last batch was exceptionally clean and a slightly sweet taste. I used Cane sugar instead of Rogers beet sugar.
Since it came out so well I wanted to do something special with it. I have only tried it with neutral I have not done it with rum or other clear distillates yet

This is what I came up with.

Ingredients
1 liter of your favorite Neutral 50% abv (tight cuts)
1 1/2 star anise
25 whole medium roast coffee coffee beans
30 whole fennel seeds
1/4 or a little less of the peel Clementine orange with all of the white stuff shaved off.

Instructions
When you get your orange ready, make sure you remove all of the white stuff Then use a knife to put shallow cuts (score) into the peel of the orange. Warning make sure that you remove all the white stuff it can make your drink bitter.

Throw the ingredients in a jar. the color will come out nice and three to four days personally I wouldn't let it soak for more than 4 days. do a spoon test Starting at day 2 you may have to pull the orange out Earlier than the rest of the ingredients, because you don't want it to overpower your drink. this macerates fast.

I do not use sweeteners or thickening agents personally I like it just the way it is.
It's Very drinkable about a week after you remove the ingredients. I have had a jar that actually made it six months( because I forgot it in the back of the cupboard my bad) the flavors do seem to blend better together with age.

Then I dilute down to 35 to 40% ABV drinking strength and enjoy

The flavor
The flavor should be clean with licorice forward And coffee and orange in the Background very subtle

Preparing the orange
The piece of orange on the left is done properly with everything removed. you have to make sure all of the white stuff is removed. it has to look like the outside orange color. the one on the right is shaved but I still had to scrape up some of the white stuff at the bottom you have to be pretty diligent and removing the white stuff.
orange
orange
PS when it comes to the oranges I've tried Mandarin, Clementine a Navel oranges. but I find a clementine and a mandarin seem to be better for my taste anyway.

If you're wondering my jars are 1.5 L that's why they don't look full.
Day1
Day1
day2
day2
I forgot to take a picture of day 3. As you see it gets color very quickly.
day4
day4
PSS TIP of the day.if it does get bitter or have a slight bitter taste to it if you remove the lid or topper For about an hour to let it breathe then replace it then let it sit for a few days it should get rid of the bitter taste.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Iwine licorice love sipper

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Use a corn plane to remove the orange skin without getting any pith. You might have to google corn plane if you havnt seen one before. They are hard to beat for removing citrus skins.
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Use a corn plane to remove the orange skin without getting any pith. You might have to google corn plane if you havnt seen one before. They are hard to beat for removing citrus skins.
Thanks for the tip saltbush. I did have to Google it. I'll have to pick one up and give it a go. I didn't like the idea of the zester Because I thought it would be too hard to control the amount of orange that went in.
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

I was curious if anybody has tried this. let me know what you think
it's similar to sambuca (but without sweetening or glycerin) or ouzo.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:09 am Use a corn plane to remove the orange skin without getting any pith. You might have to google corn plane if you havnt seen one before. They are hard to beat for removing citrus skins.
Oh, THAT sort of corn.

And you can pamper your feet with it too.

Geoff
The Baker
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

Oh, THAT sort of corn.

And you can pamper your feet with it too.

Geoff
[/quote]

it makes for smoother, more supple liquor :crazy:
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Have you tried Samiakki Koskenkorva?? it's a bitter black licorice sipping drink from Finland. Really easy to make. I made it several years ago.... If you don't like salty black "old fashion" licorice, don't make it.
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

I do like sambuca and ouzo. I guess I'm going to have to look around to find this stuff to see what it taste like.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Congratulations on what sounds like a very original and delicious infusion. I'm going to steal it. Thoughts on sugar, a little?
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

I'm a macerate mine At 50% And then bring it down to 42% ABV. First couple of times you might have to adjust to your liking. This is one that is great after supper. I'm a crate this one at a gallon at time

macerate without the sugar. do small glasses with your simple syrup if you want to give it a try.Personally I don't like sweet and drinks except for my Navy rum and Bailey's in my coffee
I do make a slightly different version for my wife I bring hers down to 30% ABV and I also Sweeten hers I bit but not to the point of making it a Liqueur

Something that I've been doing lately is I add an ounce of this to a litre of my oaked rum Just enough to give a slightt background flavour

I would appreciate your Thoughts on your results :D
BraveKnight
Novice

Post by BraveKnight »

This looks like one I want to try. I think I will add a simple sugar to make it a bit sweeter